Delayed Myelination and High Lactic Acid.
OK, my daughter is 18 months old, and has been diagnosed with delayed myelination by her pediatric neuroligist.  So, they done a bunch of blood work, and we have all the test except the very long fatty acids test back.  everything was normal, but her lactic acid was two points higher than it should be, and at first the nurse semmed VERY concerned about this, but after she talked to the doctor, he didn't want to do anything until the last test is back, and she seemed to settle down then.  my question is what does a high lactic acid level mean, and is it going to hurt her to wait for the results of the fatty acids test?  Should we seek a second opinion?

It is indeed very hard to get a bigger picture based on individual lab tests, and I understand the hesitance of her doctor to give conclusions without the completed other tests.  In a nutshell, lactic acid is a by product of anaerobic metabolism of the muscles, much like when our muscles get cramped.  A high level of this means that the tissues and muscles may not be getting good blood flow.  As I have said, it is hard to interpret this without context.  I hope the tests can be completed, and your doctors can have a good assessment and conclusion.

Regards and God bless.