Dementia? Time Sensitivity
My mother was having memory problems, and eventually convinced her PCP to test her. Her PET scan came back as "Abnormal" and "Early Stage Dementia." Now, it was 3 weeks before we could see a Neurologist. Then he said, this they should have done other tests before this, and sent us to someone else. Now, it's 27 days until THAT test takes place. In Florida and they move like turtles. Many also have are egomaniacs. When questioning why we had to wait 3 weeks when it's a time-sensitive situation, he said, "You're lucky it wasn't 3 months. Is this wait not dangerous? Friends who have gone through this tell me that getting on medication as soon as possible is vital. Any help is appreciated.
I am sorry to her that your mother has Dementia. Having to wait 3 weeks is not going to make any difference as to health. The disease is going to run its course regardless if you have to wait 3 weeks or 3 months. Lets just say that any medication they would give her would prolong her life for another month or two. At the final stage of the disease she will not be the same person that you know. When my uncle had Dementia and my father-in-law is battling it now. He has a bad heart as well and I know it sounds bad but I hope his heart is what goes first.
The suggestion that "getting on medications as soon as possible" is misinformed. Secondly, dementia is determined by behavioral observations and not scans of the brain. Square one is a complete nutritional evaluation, before thinking about train scans. Dementia has numerous causes/etiologies. In some cases it can be arrested or reversed and in other cases the progression is irreversible. You might also review her medications. Cholesterol medications have been definitely linked to dementia.