Dental neuropathy or TMJ?
Hello. I was wondering if my symtoms sound like some sort of neuropathy. My left upper molar #14 started hurting a couple years ago, no one knew why, I had a root canal, it hurt very bad after that so I had it extracted. My gums itch in that area, they are sometimes red and swollen around the tooth behind the extraction area. My bite on that side is also WAY off. Can't chew on thay side, mu upper left teeth are very sensitive. Sometimes they ache. I also have ear pain and a sore feeling on the left side of my face. Is this TMJ or some other problem?
Hi there. Temporomandibular joint syndrome covers acute or chronic inflammation of temperomandibular joint resulting in pain and impairment. TMJ disorders could range from ankylosis; arthritis etc and symptoms are biting or chewing discomfort, clicking or popping sound on opening or closure of mouth, dull ache in face, earache, headache, hearing loss, migraines, tinnitus and difficulty in mouth opening and closure. Impaired tooth mobility and tooth loss can be caused by destruction of the supporting bone and heavy forces being placed on teeth. TMJ dysfunction also occurs after wisdom teeth extraction. Consult an oral surgeon for best advice and relevant treatment. This may include restoration of the occlusal surfaces of teeth. Medicines may include over the counter NSAIDs and tricyclic antidepressants. Hope this helps. Take care.