Neurology Community
Did I do something to a nerve? Wrist to neck discomfort

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi there,

I have fairly bad OCD and as of the last month or so I have developed a very strong compulsion to pop/crack the joints in my wrists; I do this all over my body but it has gotten to the point where I have experienced grinding in my left wrist and a good deal of discomfort around the ulna. The motion through which I crack my wrist is a sharp, outward flick (it looks like a bad tic; the general consensus is that this particular fixation has sort of "evolved" from ASD stimming), moving my hand away from my body and bending the wrist, causing the joint to pop. I unfortunately do this about twice a minute, and even in hard braces it is extremely hard to control.

Last night, while lying in bed and doing this, I did the same motion with my wrist and upon popping it, my shoulder also popped quite strongly and there was a strong spasm all the way up my arm; it wasn't painful and there was no pain following it for quite some time, and I didn't think much of it. However, now there is a sort of tension/pressure in that side of my neck towards the front that seems to off and on extend almost to behind my left eye (so on the same side); this is the only place where there is pressure, but it is aggravated by wrist movement. I am trying my absolute best to not give in to the compulsion to flick my wrist, but unfortunately it is quite the losing battle and while going to crack the joint, about halfway through the motion I feel a pressure in my neck that almost feels like my wrist is pulling on the affected area in my neck. It isn't really painful, but very uncomfortable and the pressure at that point gets very strong.

Is this a cause for concern, and of what level? Will just continuing to work on managing the compulsion fix it with time, or have I done something to trap or damage a nerve?

Thank you in advance.