Neurology Community
Difference between brain mri and mra?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Difference between brain mri and mra?

What is the difference between a brain mri and mra? Is the difference based on whether or not contrast is used? Ive had a brain mri with contrast to rule out tumors and any other serious issues that may be related to my constant head pressure/aches, floaters, and other symptoms.

The doctor wants to schedule a mra with and without contrast. If both use the same mri tunnel for the procedure, how do they vary?

I understand that mra's focus more on veins and arteries to help detect blockages and anurysems (sp), but if I had something like this could the mri with contrast detected it too?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Anyone
Blank
620923_tn?1405964489
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat medical conditions.

MR imaging uses a powerful magnetic field, radio frequency pulses and a computer to produce detailed pictures of organs, soft tissues, bone and virtually all other internal body structures. The images can then be examined on a computer monitor, printed or copied to CD. MRI does not use ionizing radiation (x-rays).

MR angiography  (MRA) is used to examine blood vessels in key areas of the body, including the:

brain
kidneys
pelvis
legs
lungs
heart
neck
abdomen

Hope this helps...

"selma"
Blank
Ive "googled" the two myself. Im asking what the difference is? How are they using the same machine, same contrast, and getting different results?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...