Neurology Community
Different Headache after Blood Patch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Different Headache after Blood Patch

I had a myelogram several weeks ago to diagnose cervical disc disease and myelopathy.  3 days after the myelogram,  I developed a spinal heachache/CSF leak that was completely relieved by an epidural blood patch on day 5.  About a week after the blood patch, I developed a severe throbbing heachache in the left top side of my head, in one spot, much different than a spinal headache as it doesn't go away when I lay down.  The doctor put me on oral steroids (Prednisone) for 5 days.  The headache lessened on the steroid, if not went away completely at times.  Now I have finished the steroid and the heachache is back.  Could this be a side effect of the CSF leak and just takes times or could this be a complication of the CSF leak/Epidural bloood patch?  The fact that the steroids lessened the headache makes me think that there is some swelling that was relieved and is now back.  
I find it a little concerning that the headache is different now.  That argues somewhat against the headache being from a failed blood patch (and thus, acontinuing CSF leak).  I would let your Dr. know and request a more complete evaluation.  I just wrote an answer to another forum post with a similar question.  You had a myelogram for some diagnostic reason, there must be some underlying neuro issue, This complicates the picture.

Go back to the forum and read what I wrote to "babyzone" today.  When a patient does not react as predicted, I always thought it was time to be extra cautious (a trait for which my colleague were always kidding me).  Okay call me a alarmist.

I don't think an MRI of your head (or even a CT) would be inappropriate.

Quix
our daughter had a blood patch that did not work - in fact sent her back into the hospital with pain so severe that they cannot get it under control.  Is this normal?
i had a ct myelogram for both cervical and lumbar spine
i am interested to know if one does not have the usual
side effects, like the headaches - what does this mean?
and second, since i react to iodine, although i was pre
medicated with prednisone and benedryl, when i came
home, i had developed hives on the face, hands -
all my doctor told me was to continue with benedryl -
is this enough or do i need further medical help
thx
I'm not quix, but I can at least answer your question about NOT having the spinal headache after a myelogram.  This is the "expected" response.....if you get a spinal headache, it is likely due to a spinal fluid "leak" developing.  If you did not get a headache, that is a "good" thing!  

As for the hives, I also react to IV dye, so took prednisone and benedryl....however, when I went for the CT myelogram and they went over my medications with me, they discovered that I also take Flexeril, which can cause a bad reaction. The bottom line was that although I was ready to be wheeled into the room where the procedure would be done, they made me get up, go home and stay off Flexeril for 3 days AND take another dose of Prednisone before I could return to have the exam.  Perhaps you take a medication which you inadvertently forgot to tell the healthcare team about and that caused your reaction?  That might not be the case, but I may have reacted too, if they hadn't noticed I take this particular drug, Flexeril, on a regular basis.  Good luck! Jo
I am a 39 year old female that had a cervical myelogram done 4 days ago. I was under the impression that I should be back to work in a day or so, but the continued dizziness, extreme fatigue and pain at the site are keeping me down.  I did get the spinal headache and after being up for several hours four days later get hit with that and dizziness again. I have felt maybe I am taking it too hard but I can see by reading these comments that these are side effect perhaps I was not warned about. How long can this continue?
Rhonda
i had a spinal tap last wednesday. it failed and i needed a blood patch. i was put on pain meds and later got sick from them and spent one of the next nights throwing up all night. i wound up in the er again because the blood patch dislodged when i vomited. it has been a week since the last blood patch. is it normal for me to still be getting headaches so strong i get dizzy and extremely nauseated?? i can go for 2 hours before i completely crash again. its getting in the way of my everyday routine.
I had a spinal tap done at the start of June and it is now the end of the month and still have not fully recovered. I then had a blood patch that did not hold all the way. I have talked to several doctors, neuros, and chiros and they all say the same thing. Rest, and drink lots of fluids. If you do not choose to go in and have surgery, the tissue is a living organism and will repair itself with time. 4 weeks later I am still not working and still having the headaches but they are not nearly what they were. I am going to wait it out vs. having any type of patch surgery. I am making progress slowly and can now atleast stand up to make myself lunch!
I am one month into my spinal headache and am wondering if yo are well and how long it took for you to heal. This is torture!
Mina 256: How are you doing now? I'm just looking for someone going through the same thing as me to commiserate with. Or better yet, find a health professional with some good answers.

My spinal headaches started 'spontaneously' January 6 of this year. I feel OK when lying down but after 5 to 10 minutes of standing, I feel pressure and discomfort in my ears and head, and within 20 to 45 minutes I get a headache that continues to get worse and worse the longer I stay upright. I also get intense nausea, extreme fatigue, plugged ears with hearing distortion, and numbness/tingling in my arms if I continue to stay upright too long.

'A contrast MRI of my head and spine (1/13) showed 'no definite leak location'. A spinal tap and CSF cisternogram (1/24) showed my spinal pressure was very low at 5.5, indicating a leak somewhere, but again the cisternogram found no definite leak.

I had my first blood patch in my lumbar area on 2/1. For the next 48 hours, I was able to be on my feet for 60 to 90 minutes at a time with the same symptoms, but to a much lesser degree. Then I regressed right back to the same problem. My second blood patch (2/8) in the same location did nothing at all for me. My third blood patch (3/22) was in my lower thoracic region. I had a severe headache for 36 hours after that procedure, but then felt pretty good. Like the first blood patch, my symptoms were greatly reduced, but still present for several days. Then this afternoon, I seem to have regressed again back to my same old symptoms.
I have a similar situation going on as well. My spontaneous leak started Dec 17 2011. I had no idea why I was having that horrific debilitating headache. Was being treated for a pinched nerve in the top of my neck.  Rehab  guy suggested I see a spine specialist and the ordered the MRI on my brain.  MRI showed low fluid around brain.  Had a CT scan w/contrast done and found leak in mid back. I have had two blood patches done, but they aren't working. :( Where are you at now? I'm not sure what my next step is. Don't want to have another blood patch cause they cause my entire spine to be achy and sore and causes a constant minor annoying headache for about 4 days.  Is there anything else that they can do that anyone knows of!??