Neurology Community
Differential diagnosis of stroke vs migraine aura without migraine pain...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Differential diagnosis of stroke vs migraine aura without migraine pain

I have had two episodes, 4 years apart, in which I experience a visual distortion that lasts about 15 minutes and includes geometric lines in some portion of my field of vision.  In the second incident, my speech was also affected; I was speaking, but my sentence and words did not make any sense and I was aware that I was not making sense.  This lasted less than 10 minutes.  An MRI was performed after the first incident, and a CAT scan was performed after the second incident, and both were normal.  My retinas were normal, blood work normal, and check of my carotid arteries was also normal. The diagnosis I was given was ophthalmic migraine or migraine without headache.  I was told that because I did not have any pain associated with these events, if it happens again, I would have to check myself into an emergency room each time, since there is no way to tell if these symptoms are that of a stroke, TIA, or migraine.  Is this true or is there some way to differentiate between these things without having to check myself into the hospital to be evaluated?