Neurology Community
Disc out of place in my back

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Disc out of place in my back

Hi, I went to my doctor because I was having severe back pain shooting into my left leg and arm with tingling and numness as well, even numness in my buttocks. I had a MRI done which has shown a disc out of place and have been referred to a neurosurgeon. My question is what does it mean for a disc to be out of place and what treatments are there? Does it require surgery?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Spinal discs are cushion like structures that are placed between the vertebrae in the back . They work as shock absorbers. However, injury, age and some ailments can cause these disks to rupture, sliding them out of place. If a disk is pressed far out of normal position, it may cause the vertebrae to pinch or press against the spinal cord, producing numbness, weakness or even pain. Depending on the location and the severity of the herniated disc, the effects can be felt in the back, in the limbs or even in the torso. Surgery and physiotherapy are the treatment modalities. Please discuss the treatment plan with a neurologist. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
I am really scared and in severe pain. What is the odds of having surgery. That word just scares me, because I will 30 next week and I will possibly have to have surgery on my back. Would the surgery be one where you recover quickly or one of those that would take a while and would they actually do to fix the problem or would it fix the problem?
The best course of action  is to view surgical intervention as a last resort. The usual procedure is called a laminectomy. If you have such surgery, have it performed at a facility that does a lot of the procedures. Square one is to eliminate lifting. You may have to change jobs. Square two is to get a good physical therapist to instruct you on exercises to reduce the impingement. You will need six to twelve sessions to learn the protocols. Anti-inflammatories and a TENS pain-control device will help. Avoid riding in vehicles (the up-and-down bouncing makes things worse). There is a third alternative, approved in Europe, and now used only in Nevada, involving injection of ozone into the space between the vertebra. Usually, at least initially, the syndrome lasts for one to five weeks, then gets better with rest. Avoid muscle relaxants and valium, which reduce muscle tone.
after 10 hours in emergency and 6 hours at a spine dr. we were told that my wife has a disc out and was refered to a spinal dr for removal. seems radical to me . is there any other course of action,. she was given norco pills to relieve the pain and that worked, but she cannot keep taking them . is there theropy that can solve this. she was very active, thai chi, line dancing, balance classes, walking. she can hardly move today as the pain radiates from her vack to her hips and around the front
vince
I'm 33 and have just had a microdiscectomy for a major heniated (bulged/slipped) disc.

The disc was trapping my sciatic nerve causing extreme leg pain.

12 weeks has to go by with physio to try and let it settle, if this doesn't happen then your options are an injection to the spine for pain relief or an op.

My neurosurgeon suggested the op for me, I had it 2 weeks ago, because I'm young I went in as a day case and the pain relief is instant, don't be scared I defo recommend it!!

The only complication I have had is headaches a week after surgery, I have to go back tomorrow (2 and a half weeks after surgery) to have a scan  as I may have leaked some spinal fluid which is causing the headaches, however this isn't th norm so don't worry.