Neurology Community
Dizziness, Tingling and Heaviness of Left Arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For about 3 months now, I have been experiencing dizziness as well as heaviness, tingling sensation, and an overall weak feeling in my left arm mostly, but it also has traveled down the entire left side of my body. I am a 24 yr old healthy female. I went to the ER when it first started and was really bad. My entire left side was tingling, including the left side of my face, my left arm, leg and foot. It only happens on the LEFT side. When I walked it felt like my left ankle was just going to give out on me, it felt really weak. I was also EXREMELY dizzy. I was admitted and these symptoms were strong and lasted for over a day. I was in the hospital for 2 days and they ran a CT scan, an MRI, blood tests, and all came back negative. Gradually my symptoms started to fade. They released me after they had done every test they could think of without knowing what was causing them. Since then my symptoms have been coming and going, but not to the same intensity that they were when I went to the ER. Sometimes I will be fine and then it will just come on slowly and last for a few hours and then fade away. This happens daily if not every other day. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting or standing or being active or inactive, I will just start to feel really dizzy and off balance and then the arm heaviness, and ankle weakness will set in. I am going to an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor so he can run tests as well. I had an extremely bad ear infection about 6 months ago where my equilibrium was off and I was dizzy. I am hoping it's some kind of virus that can be treated and not something serious like my heart or MS or anything like that. If anyone has had similar symptoms or has been diagnosed with something, PLEASE let me know what you think. I cannot keep going on without getting any answers. There has to be an explaination out there somewhere! Thank you so much for your comments.
I am also around your age (26 female), and about a month ago i started getting similair symptoms... i got tingling in by body and my right arm and back of neck gets heavy... i also get what i think are muscle spasms in my calves... and like you i went to the ER and my tests came back okay... i am also freaking out about MS... (was crying everyday). The tingling is getting a little better, i am going to see another neurologist for a second opinion... but i wanted to let you know that you are not alone. The docs make me feel like i am crazy but i know my body and something is going on and i am scared...
People keep telling me that I am too young to be having these symptoms and in the ER at first I felt like they thought I was a Hypochondriac. But when I stayed and was willing to go through 2 almost 3 days of tests, they took me seriously, but still couldn't find anything. I avoid going to the doctor and especially the Emergency Room at all costs! When I started having these symptoms I just knew something was wrong and this wasn't normal. I told my husband and he started freaking out about the left arm heaviness and numbness b/c my father died of a massive heart attack at a 54 only 2 years ago. I knew it probably wasn't heart related since I'm so young, but my husband is such a loving concerned person, he rushed me to the ER that night. That's when my symptoms were at their worst. Also, as I am typing right now, my left hand doesn't seem as responsive as my right hand and still feels heavy and weighted down. My appointment with the ENT is the first of May-that's the soonest I could get in for the ENG test and MRI with dye.  I PRAY that they can tell me what this is. In the Hospital they told me I was NOT anemic, also that my kidneys, liver, heart, and everything was working properly. They also did a sonogram of the nerves in my neck and it came back fine. I don't know how many other tests there are out there, but I'm willing to go through all of them to find out what this is and make it go away!
  They can do a myelogram..to test the muscle and nerve connection...but it may be uncomfortable as they stick tiny needles in you. Also an EEG will check for any abnormal elecricity in your brain...there are seizures that cause these symptoms called simple partial seizures where you are fully awake and concious. I am a student nurse and my teacher has her masters and worked neurology and recommended these tests for me. I am waiting for my appt. too...good luck and keep me posted!
When I was 4 I had a seizure, I've heard it called a grandma seizure. I was put on dilantin (sp.) for a while and I haven't had one since. They took me off the medicine and I've been healthy ever since. I told the doctors this, but they didn't seem to think anything of it since it was so long ago, is there a chance that they are coming back?
i'm in the same boat as you. i have similar symptoms but can't get a diagnosis.  the tests have all been negative so far.  I'm thinking about visiting an ENT too.
Hi, I'm a little older than you,... 42, have always had hellacious headaches, but started left sided tingling and numbness last July, followed by dizziness and visual disturbances (tunnel vision, and jerky, jumpy eye movements, lasting only a few seconds) Tingling and numbess started in my foot, and gradually went up left side of body. Mid-Oct. was when it hit my face.... I freaked and saw Neuro, have been through all sorts of tests, 2 MRI's showed I have lesions in frontal white matter(5), I've had Lumbar puncture, lots of blood work. No definite diagnosis,......Neuro mentioned  possible lyme, MS, Sjogren's, Diabetes, hypertension, B-12 deficiency, all was "normal"........finally said most consistent with microangiopathy, but doesn;t know why...... the current diagnosis  is simply "Demyelinating Disease of the CNS, Unspecified"
I guess I will have follow-up, its been 3 months since last MRI, don't really know what else to do.........sit and wait???
Hope it helps to know there are others out there with similar crazy symptoms!
Hi am an the same age with very, very similar problems.  I too have been through all the tests as you and everything for the most part is normal.  MRI showed small FLAIR lesions.  Recently had VEEG to r/o seizure disorder which I don't have but some question as to wether there is "abnormal white matter disease".  Not sure where I stand now just waiting it out.  My symptoms seem to be more prominent on my right side, and really haven't had much visual changes just dizziness and numbness and extreme fatigue.  It is so variable it can be difficult to explain at times.  
Did you have MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine?  Did it show anything?  How about EMG?  
I just posted a question, just like yours.  I have been having practically the same symptoms.  I am 23 yrs old.  Pins and needles that won't go away, Weakness that comes and goes just in my left side.  I have been poked and prodded and with no results that can conclusively say what I have.  they did bloodwork, MRI, CT. EMG.  I don't really know what to tell you except that I know what your going through except see a Neurologist (there are alot of diseases that can cause these symptoms) and good luck.  
Hi, I have not had thoracic MRI, my C-spine was clear. I had NCS and EMG, but it was on lumbar region, showed Polyradiculopathy......basically nerve root inflammation, but again, it was on lower spine.
Has your Dr. mentioned microangiopathy? or any cause for lesions?
No my doctor had never mentioned anything regarding the lesions.  I have been to 3 neurologist ( 2 neuro, 1 epitologist) not sure where I'm going from here.  I have an apt. in a month with MD (Director of MS) at NYU, hoping to get some answers.  I have dealt with it for so long, approx. 8-9 months now whats one more month.  Did you mention that your spinal tap was negative?  If so how early in your diagnosis was it done?  I too had a negative spinal tap, would not want it repeated because I was laid up for 4 days with blood patch and terrible headache.  What I find so disconcerning is how much it is interfering with my job and personal life.  I was thinking of taking a new position but am afraid to in this present condition.  I just want some answers and medication if possible so I can return to the way I was prior to all this.  Did you get responses say that it's stress?  I'm tired of that response, o.k I'm female  and in my 40's and yes have some stress in my life but come on now!!! Nice talking with you.  
I had a lumbar puncture in early Nov......hope I never have to have another one!
The procedure itself wasn't so bad, but I  developed spinal headache, had to go to ER for bloodpatch......NOT FUN!!!! It hurt like heck! got sick, threw-up while the needle was still in my back, with the nurse and Dr. telling me to sit still.......imagine dry heaving, and puking with a 3 inch needle in your back, trying to stay still!!!!!! impossible...but yea..it was negative for MS profile, and lyme and whatever else they tested, a huge list, if you include blood tests.
I guess I'm gonna see my current Neuro one more time, and see if he has any more clues..........He has not mentioned stress, he said from the start that he thought "something was going on in my noggin, possibly the thalamus", and sent me immediately for MRI, during follow-up visit, after telling me he "didn't have a clue what is going on" I asked him if he thought I was crazy, he said no, he did believe something was causing my symptoms, just "perhaps it's too early for it to show up in tests" ........I am hoping for some sort of news, good or bad, just any diagnosis, I'm tired of tests, and not knowing.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, although you may want to start a new post, ......not sure how many replies these threads allow!
I also i'm experiencing this, I'm a 32 year female. I have been getting tingling in my face for over a month now, heaviness in my left are, feeling light headed, alot of chest pressure, headaches that appear out of nowhere and sometime blury vision in my right eye. I'm going to my doctor this week to have them run any test that is possible. My reponse that I keep getting from the doctor is that its anxiety, but I personaly think that it much more than that.Was wondering if anyone had an answer for these symptoms are what kind of test I should have done.

Thanks,
Brandi
hello, i am a 51 year old female suffering some of the same symptoms and then some.  i was in a car accident about three months ago and the symptoms i already had got worse.  i have neck pain, left shoulder and arm pain, constant headache, dizziness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, pins and needles all over,my legs feel very heavy and weak, eye pain and trouble with balance.  i have seen my neuro doc twice and he said my MRI showed lesions in the white matter of my frontal lobes and other abnormalities.  he tested me for lyme, RA, lupus, etc. but, all came back negative.  he said it is too soon to do another MRI and wants me to see a physiatrist and maybe get cortisone shots.  i  see him in early Feb. and hope at that time he will do more specific test to rule MS.  meanwhile, he has me on tramadol and neurontin for pain.  the neurontin makes me feel dopey but, it helps with pain a little.  i try to keep up with my normal routine but, it is really difficult sometimes.  i try to keep a positive outlook and take one day at a time.  hope to hear from you guys.  thanks, stinkypinky  
hi i'm new here i want to share the same feelings with you out there, you are not alone, i was a healthy 30 year old female before at my 31st birthday i developed pins and needles all over my body that won't go away, it has been 4 months, i went to many doctors, who all conclude that i don't have anything wrong, i went to a neuro he said that i have good reflexes, and i shouldn't worry about anything, but he said I need to go for an EMG test.. he said i don't need MRI imaging because my symptoms are mainly neurological and it is probably due to anxiety or stress...it's true at times i think because i am seated in the same position, and in a bad posture for 8 hours a day, but can this result a chronic paresthesia? all the people including my parents (that i meet) say that i'm a psycho... but i hope here i find people that can support me...
write back
AMEN!!! I am a 35 yr. old female with, can you guess, very similar symptoms.  I'm tired of my foot, really my ankle, giving out on me.  I feel like a knucklehead walking around with a limp and people asking me what I did to myself!  I had ACDF surgery in March '07.  This is a cervical spine surgery to remove a disc and fusion.  Only, I haven't fused at all and it's been 10 months.  I started having these issues after surgery.  I also was found to have a cyst (arachnoid) in my brain, very small, maybe the size of my pinky fingernail.  I was also told by a neurologist that I was too stressed!  PISSED ME OFF!!!  HE doesn't even know me, how can he make such a claim!  I found out about the non-fusion later.  All I can say is stay strong ladies, we are women... hear us...moan!! (Sorry!)  I'm just elated to find I'm not crazy after all!
good morning, my neuro doc doesn't think i'm crazy and neither should your doc.  these symptoms are real!!  i feel your pain as well as everyone else who has these symptoms.  the last several days were extremely difficult for me. i had widespread and severe pain .  i was unable to perform all of may daily activities.  i could do only so much before being forced to take a rest.  i am a homemaker so i don't have to worry about being fired!!  it is, however extremely frustrating and depressing.  on bad days i take it one hour at a time as the pain is constant.  i try to maintain a positive outlook but, sometimes it is hard to do so.  i have to call my neuro doc's office today to get the name of a physiatrist. i don't know if seeing him or her will help but, my doc thinks this should be the next step.  i hope you are not having too bad a day today and that it helps to speak with someone who understands.   stinkypinky
hi pinky thanks for your comments, today it was better although still with the tingling in my hands, i also have tingling in my chest, i was also tested for that, and its neurological not related to the heart, but the pricking is still annoying, i hope the neuro was right maybe i'm stressed or my body is too stressed, i message my hands and feet and sometimes my face (my face tingles also but not frequently as my hands feet and neck /chest) ..my head doesn't ache at all, so i think i would exclude any possibilty that i can have a cyst in my head or something bad.., i hope.., pray for me that my emg will not be abnormal and that i get soon an appointment (i  have applied for the appointment but seems government hospital take a lot of time to make an appointment - they think it is not urgent) i tried to apply in a private hospital, but it was too expensive...
write back
i know how you feel about doc and hospital bills.  i have Medicare and it only covers 80%.  i will pray that your EMG is abnormal, at least you and your doc will have something to go on.  it is frustrating when tests come back negative but the pain and pins and needles continues.  i went out today for the first time in nine days.  i walked up the street (about five houses up) to visit my cousin.  the early part of the day wasn't too bad pain wise.  as i sat and talked with my cousin the pain gradually returned full force.  i was able to visit for two hours which is good for me.  the walk home although short was extremely painful and difficult.  my pcp wants me to walk for exercise.  how am i supposed to do that when a 100 yard walk is excruciating?  hopefully this physiatrist i will be seeing will be able to help.  i also hope and pray that you will get and appt. soon.  what i have done in the past to get and appt. ASAP is to call everyday to ask if there is a cancellation and if so, can i take that appt.  sometimes it works.  hope you feel at least a little better tonite.   all my best, stinkypinky
i read somewhere it can be fibromalygia (fibromyalgia), it presents with paresthesias, at work i have stress too, but my neuro assured me that the EMG will most probably be normal, then it would be something (like a tension headache) with unusual nuisance but still doc must administer some therapy or medicine, i also read that idiopatic, neuropathy comes with no cause. Tension can trigger chronic paresthesia, but still it is frustrating. Me too, i want to get the appointment soon... the problem that even emergancy people have to wait when they are in the hospital which is not really nice, the nurses are even a bit rude with them, a man with thromboses went to the hospital for Emergency care and the nurses told him to wait to fill in the many papers coz some of them they had lost, isn't it funny? when they had to run him in the emergency room?
anyway do you think EMG can pick up all neverous system problems? because MRI involves radiocativity that's why the neuro thought EMG is best.
hi,  it could be fibromyalgia.  i have been diagnosed with fibro.  however, new symptoms have my neuro questioning MS.  i don't know if EMG can pick up all nervous system problems but, i'm sure it is a good diagnostic tool.  i have not had EMG yet.  i know what you mean about the ER.  they are more concerned about how you are going to pay than about your health.  i know nurses are overworked but, they are not underpaid.  some of them can be rude and so are some doctors.  when i go to the ER i always hope i won't get someone in a bad mood or a doc who blows me off.  i usually don't receive quality care at the ER in my city.  they just treat and street even if you are in severe pain.  that's why i don't go to the ER even when i really need to .  oh well, that's just the way it is.  too many patients, not enough nurses and docs.  hope you get some relief soon.  
hi thanks for your comment, today i feel better, i was depressed sometimes i thought i had something which is life threatening, but if that was so, there would be problems in your vision and hearing, and mostly focused in your CNS (nerves of the skull rather than your hands or feet or even navel/or under(sorry for the rude word but had to put it to give details to the symptoms) , people with infection or tumor in their heads don't have paresthesia in their necks or chest or feet or lips etc..but mainly headache and vomiting rather than paresthesia, (i talked to a nurse also about that they all say headache and having an unusual skin patches etc.., anyway, the NEuro didn't take any money and he examined the eye movements too, (from the eyes one can tell (reflexes probably- the wya you move the eyes/pupil even difference in pupil size can make a doctor /neuro suspect about abnormal brain growths.) i mean even if itold him that my hands and feet mostly hurt, he also examined my head/eyes and all neuro related then he scheduled for EMG if it was head related probably he would do an MRI because only that can pick up abnormalities in the brain, and if a doctor suspects otherwise probably he would schedule for the MRI< without a Doctor's consent, we cannot go and do MRI test by ourselves, that's the rule here...in my country,.. and all doctors i visited never consulted me MRI but EMG..which means the problems is periferal nerve related...probably1..anyway today i feel better and worked overtime too......sorry for my long letter, well i hope to hear from you..i hope i can improve from time to time, my cousin have been getting same symptoms and did the mri of his brain and doctors told him to go to a psychiatrist rather than a neuro..it seems these symptoms are getting very common with many people..now my cousin is going for therapy (and message therapy too)...i do this myself, because i am good at messaging my body and it relieved a lot of my symptoms...if i can do it alone i won't spend any money to go for a massure..
write back
when i visited my cousin the other day she also complained of some of the symptoms i have.  he doc gave her cortisone injections which didn't help much.  this makes me worry that the cortisone inj. i will get won't help either.  i am not experienecing too much pain today, praise the Lord!!  i do have some pain and discomfort but, it is not debilitating as it is on most days.  i even have  enough energy to clean out my spare room.  being able to do this means a lot to me.  i am a homemaker and taking care of the house is my job.  it is frustrating and depressing when i can't do this.  i enjoy cooking, cleaning and decorating in my home.  taking care of my family is my number one priority.  i was born to be a caregiver.  i feel guilty and useless when i can't care for my family the way i want to.  but, today is a good day and i will focus on enjoying it.  i'm glad that you have gotten to see a doc.  i too, have massaged my body where possible.  i have one of those little hand held electronic massagers.  it helps somewhat but, i can't reach everywhere.  here in the U.S., we need a doc's order to get an MRI too.  i had my brain MRI because i was in a car accident and hit my head really hard on the window.  my primary doc ordered it to see if i had a concussion.  i didn't but, it did show frontal lobe lesions and abnormalities in the peduncle.  whatever that is!!  now i know why i've always been a little wacky!!  i'm glad that you are feeling a little better.  the days that are good really do make a difference in your outlook on life.  hope to hear from you, stinkypinky  
hi again thanks for writing and making me feel a bit better, sometimes i wish  i can get an mri to rule out ms, but i also read that ALS and MS present with tingling and burning pain but also with no reflexes, at the neuro clinic i was tested for eye reflexes, hands feet and i was told to lie down while the neuro was tapping my knees and feet with a hammer like object, to test deep reflexes, before he scheduled me for the EMG< i haven't got the appointment yet because in my country this proceedure is too slow, but i hope i get it soon..., today it has been of a tingling day , i had a lot of stressful work (for the mind) like collecting money and i am always on stress before i can count and check if all is ok, after all was ok and the job done will i still got the tingling so i went home and did some message with aroma oils which releaved my symptoms, i think these symptoms are often not serious but they are so disabling that you cannot manage an everyday life at work...the only worry about these feelings are ms and als...but it seems that when i lift something i don't get muscle weakness just more tingling that is more like burning sensations rather than muscle pain..it itch sometimes and feels like sand has been thrown on your body...muscle pains are sometimes experianced when i lift something but never weakness or lack of reflexes...it is often in the hands rather than in my feet...and sometimes in my chest....
i am going to sleep (sounds fibromalygia (fibromyalgia) is made up of tingling too that starts with muscle pain which resemble much my symptoms..)
well rite back i'm glad you are better....
hello, i've had fibromyalgia for ten years.  it does involve muscle pain, stiffness and weakness.  no prescription or over the counter meds help.  there is a new drug called Lyrica that is supposed to help but, my insurance company won't cover it.  is is expensive so, i have to do without as i am on a fixed income.  the symptoms i have now such as:dizziness, pins and needles, constant headache,eye pain and neck pain are recent.  i see my neuro doc in a couple of weeks and will ask him to explain more fully the lesions and abnormalities in my brain.  i know what you mean about being afraid that it's MS or ALS.  i try not think about it and just get thru the day.  i am not hurting as much today as i thought i would be.  cleaning my spare room was a marathon event.  i also cooked a dinner made from scratch.  today i am not going to push myself as hard.  i will just do the normal stuff, making beds, doing dishes, doing laundry and tidying up!  i do hope your appointment for EMG comes quickly.  does taking a hot shower or bath make your symptoms better or worse?  taking a hot shower makes my muscles feel better but seems to irritate my skin.  i use bodywash and soap for sensitive skin and i don't get a rash.  the water feels like little needles hitting my skin.  just another weird symptom!  i hope you have a good weekend and are feeling better.  try to stay positive!  stinkypinky
hello, thanks for the post again, today i feel better than yesterday, i think EMG can detect ALS more than it does to MS<...i read on the interent,that an abnormal EMG can be ALS or polineuropathy... ALS doesn't involve pins and needles alone, probably it involves general weakness of the hands and feet, and the symptoms worsen overtime, the patient wouldn't be able to press a button etc, something like that, sorry to talk all the time about it, but i cannot help but think about it and read about the symptoms... it involves brisk reflexes , like muscle twitching, i think muscle twitching is when somone starts to tremble involontary or cannot control the movement of his limbs, like in parkinsons but als symptoms progress quickly and person die in a year or two...so i think muscle weakness accompany paresthesia in this situation which i don't feel (weakness)..., and probably there aren't good days but only bad days (no relief from symptoms but every person is different).., anyway, in cold showers i feel pins and needles , but a hot shower makes me relax, i feel my hands heavy after a day at work on a computer and they becomes stiff which probably is very common with peolpe who work 8 hours in front of a pc, so i think i'm making a fuss out of nothing..my parents are against MRI so i hope that the EMG can detect what MRI can do...let's pray
write back...
i hope you had a good weekend.  i was doing great the latter half of last week.  today, however, i am in a good deal of pain again.  the stabbing pains in my neck and legs are debilitating.  i can hardly lift my right leg.  my head is aching and my scalp hurts too.  i knew the energy i had last week wouldn't last.  i am forcing myself to do my everyday activities.  i wondering if the frigid weather (it's only 14 degrees here) is aggravating my symptoms.  i finally have an appointment with a physiatrist for feb. 4th.  i hope he can help me.  i also see my neuro the same day.  they are in the same practice and can consult with each other easily.  i am hoping that my neuro will schedule and emg for me at that time and not just rely on cortisone shots curing my ills.  how are you doing?  has your doc scheduled and emg for you yet?  also, are you on any meds to help with your symtoms (symptoms)?  i feel really bad that you can't get an mri.  i wish i could do something to help you.  please know that you can write me anytime you need to.  my husband just left on a business trip to sunny california.  he will be gone for three weeks!  i hope my symptoms don't get severe while he is gone.  my youngest son still lives with us.  he will be home with me after he gets out of work.  i'm hoping that his girlfriend will stay with us several times while my husband is gone.  i don't mind being alone during the day but, at nite i do.  well, i have laundry to do so i'll catch you later.  stay strong!  bye, stinkypinky
hi how are you? i'm sorry that your fibromalygia (fibromyalgia) has started again, today i felt better but instead of pins and needles i have what (when i started with this pain) is like you described stabbing pains,i  can understand you because i had them during work today, sometimes something pricking but usually stabbing pains, my parents called the neuro, for the appointment, and finally they have to call him tomorrow, to schedule an appointment as soon as possible, as regards to mri, i don't think it is quite important , for neuro examination but i'm not sure, since there is the EMG and some blood work you can do to determine the cause of the neuropathy, i think one can conclude through these tests...if something is serious it will show up immediately on the EMG< because i heard that EMG detects ALS better than an MRI, ALS is the only worry, because MS can be treated and lupus etc are not fatal, but ALS is a death sentence and much worse than HIV because people with HIV today live with it, like one lives with DIabetes with the help of meds obivously, but ALS there is no treatment that could slow the progress of the desease, but some people tell me that ALS is inherited and it's there from when you are born, or from the childhood, and later it will be activated into the desease..which is fatal.., in ALS people loose reflexes, and the symptoms get worse, fibro, the symptoms are iether bad or better depends on the day, whilst in ALS the symptoms are always there and go to the worst..and it is a moteor neuron desease which means that people would sort of tremble (like in parksinsons etc) i think the same class as parkinsons (motor neuron desease) but parkinsons progress is much slower and less agressive than als. Als is immediatly deadly after diagnosed 'i read that a patient can only live maximum of 2 yrs after being diagnosed) ...anyway, i hope you will feel better, and tell me the outcome of your tests. sorry for asking but do you often get pins and needles when you get the pain?
anyway write back.. i am also there to talk to you and support you and thanks for your support and posts it really relieved me that not everyone says to me 'it's all in my head'
write back
hi,  yes i do get pins and needles along with the stabbing pain.  i just had a bad episode about 45 minutes ago.  all morning, i had stabbing pains in my neck and legs. when i laid down to rest, the pins needles and burning pains started.  i had these pains in my legs, neck and left arm.  the pins and needles sensation was so bad it felt as though  i was getting electric shocks.  my scalp is tingling today too.  i washed my hair but, the scalp pain and tenderness is still there.  i, myself, am not concerned that i have ALS.  it doesn't run in my family and i think my symptoms are more indicative of MS.  i'm hoping that whatever it is , it will be resolved soon.  good to hear from you, take care.  bye
hi I read a hot shower in MS won't resolve the symptoms but make it worse, heat is a major enemie to MS sufferers, but i don't suffer bad symptoms from heat... when  i did the neurological exam, he excluded me from ALS or MS< i think most ALS are inherited right? if so then it is no problem for me, and als one gets it from earlier stages since childhood so i shouldn't worry about it, MS is not fatal but no offence i read that it can make you very disabled, some of the people end up aided or on a wheelchair, but i hope its not MS, and it is not very common i think..MS has no life expectancy , just the normal life span as the other healthy individuals, Means ms people can be as strong as ahealthy individual, and not know that have ms... i read, but i don't know if it is deadly because my cousin said that it is fatal but probably he was mixing it with ALS, as he is not a neurologist, also MS patients have muscle weakness like ALS people, but MS weakness progress slowly, so i don't think we should worry about MS< but an EMG can make you a clear decision if you have MS symptoms or not, and the neuro can study the results and tell you, like i'm also going soon, i had all over muscle aches even in my jaws yesterday, they are stabbing and today i feel pins and needles but not as intence, i feel them even in my private part, (sorry for the word)..., andi n my backside i don't know if i havem entioned that before, most fibromalygia (fibromyalgia) patients have pins and needles and rarely get relief from their symptoms i read, and i think it is true, MS patients have periods of remission while fibromalygia (fibromyalgia) patients often have symptoms than not!! i think but not sure... but most websites say this..at least where i went to..
a neuro can tell you exactly what you have but fibromalygia (fibromyalgia) is very difficult to diagnose and if it is that what you have, the neuro will tell you you have nothing, but still it is very disabling because it hurts even when you work, but normally fibromalygia (fibromyalgia) patients can manage their normal routine shedule although with much difficulty...i think i got it with lifting too much weights, i used to train and i used to lift more weights than i should, after three months of weight lifting , i stopped, because i was having long hours at work, and after a month of stopping from the training i started with the pins and needles which first started in a form of stabbing pain, went to many doctors , before hte neuro, had cbc test, to rule out leukemia and HIV (beacuasei  thought hiv can be airborne lol) i hope emg won't find findings such ms or als, i would be terrified but again i will try to be positive even if i will be going to die soon...in case..
anyway see ya
hi, good to hear from you.  as i am writing this i have pins and needles in both arms.  i have been having a hard time typing today.  as i said, i have had fibro fo ten years and the pins and needles and other symptoms only just started about three months ago.   maybe all this is the result of the accident i was in.  i dont know what to think anymore.  just sick of being in pain all the time.  i hope that you are well today.  do you have difficulty at work due to your symptoms?  is your supervisor sympathetic or is he/she a jerk?  there is no way i could hold on to a job right now, not with all the pain and fatigue.  i admire you for your strength.  here's hoping tomorrow will be a better day for all of us.  take care of yourself.  bye
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums - actually just posted a query myself on somewhat similar symptoms.  Have you considered Lyme's disease?  I know several people who have it and the symptoms mimic MS, CFS, and a lot of other neurological diseases.  It's not been widely discussed in the general medical field, but given the case studies that I have seen, it's a commonly overlooked possibility.  Worth a shot, at any rate.
hi , i'm glad that you posted again once more, i'm sorry to hear about your pain, i have been in pain all the day yesterday, so you didn't have pins and needles at the start of fibro? i thought fibro carry pins and needles or i was wrong? i know that MS does this for sure but Ms carries other symptoms like fever , eye vision problems, intollerance to heat etc...at rest i feel better, maybe because i take deep sleep... i haven't had an appointment yet, the neuro exam was clean, most doctors determine all from an exam, they schedule tests and mri if they suspect a malignancy usually...i dont' know if doctors are always right or know when they can tell there is a desease or not, here in my country to get an appointment is very slow..i think most neurological disorders are treatable, few are deadly, like als (i think it's the only one know that it is deadly) ms and the other conditions are not said to be fatal.
write back
This is my first post...

I was diagnosed with seizures about 6 years ago also have MS. My MS is in remission at this time and has been for about a year. I've been reading about the tinging and pins& needles everyone is having a problem with. I've have this problem also. Yesterday at my neuro appointment my blood work came in and my b-12 level was way to low. Mine was in the low 130's and its recommended it be between 400-800. This will cause your nerves to tingle and hurt i was informed. I started my shots today and hope that they will help. doc said that my body isn't absorbing  any b-12. My limbs have been tingling and numb for years partially my left side. My left hand bothered me so much that i had to have major surgery on it to try to relieve some of the pain and I'm left handed (lol) just wanted to let you know that there are many reason why your nerves hurt so might want to ask your doctor for this test to see if you have enough b-12 in your system.. Also DON'T GIVE UP!!!! it took me 2 years to find out what was wrong with me .......just take it one day at a time and wake up and say hello to the sun every morning :D
Annie
i am going to ask my neuro about b12 at my next appt.  i saw on discovery health that abdominal surgery can limit your intake of b-12.  i have had two abdominal surgeries in the past two years.  it would be great if the cure for my pain were as simple as a b-12 injection!  yeah, my left shoulder and arm hurt too and i'm left handed too.  i do have eye problems.  i get sharp, stabbing pain in my right eye and having double vision.  i do have a lazy eye (left eye) but, the double vision has become worse.  the pain in my right eye scares me because it's my good eye.  anyway, i'm not feeling too awful today.  this fri. i am going shopping with my son's girlfriend.  it will be the first time in 12 days that i will be out of the house.  i'm praying that my legs don't give out on me.  retail therapy always makes me feel better!!  i am grateful everyday i wake up and am still alive.  the sun is pouring thru my windows and i'm going to sit in it and soak it up.  i hope everyone is doing ok today,  catch you later!  
hi how are you? i don't know about ms symptoms but usually in a neuro examination, you won't pass with flying colours if ms is suspected, i think neurologists will determine from reflexes and muscle strength if you have a desease or a condition, like fibro, if you can type walk with no problem then it's definately fibro, people with ms, als would in little time such as 2 years get motor problems for sure and most of them paralysed in a wheelchair yes we must thank God we are still alive , the pain we experiance might be a trauma in a nerve, if the neuro said nothing is wrong ,we must take his word, but a family doctor wouldn't be a thing to rely on because a family doctor is not a neuro, and if he is a good doctor he must refer you to a neuro if he suspects something , and pain is a warning sign that oen should see a doctor even if nothing is wrong.., i get pain in my hands, especially when i type but i have no muscle weakness i can lift heavy objects but after wards , the pain is so excruiating even if my muscular strenght is ok, that's because fibro has tener points and these are the elbows when you lift you are making impact on your elbows, i think you agree on that, and tender points start to hurt, and you will cause the usual fibro pain... fibro patients should rest to minimize their symptoms...heat helps fibro gets better but people with ms must avoid heat.., well i hope your exams will come normal, and that you have nothing to worry about, i pray to God for you and those who are suffering like us so nothing wrong will come out... but just fibro which is common muscular pain i think
write back
hello.  i hope you are reasonably well today.  i have not had too many stabbing pains in my legs for the past few days.  i do, however, have stinging pins and needles all over my body.  i even get it in my face now.  first my eyes start to throb, then my forehead, lips and even ears start to sting!  it drove me crazy all day and nite.  what the heck is wrong with me?  i'm starting to feel like i'm going crazy!  is all this just a manifestation of a physcological problem?  i have the feeling that any tests i have will all come back negative.  where will i be then?  maybe when i go out tomorrow i'll gain a new outlook on my life.  i'll have to suck it up and just go on.     in response to someone else, i did have a blood test for lyme, RA, and lupus, all negative.  just hang in there everyone and know that you are not alone.  bye
hi i'm sorry to hear that, but you are not alone, i get pins and needles in my face and mouth too, my neuro said that it's unlikely that i have a serious desease and EMG will rule out most of them, if not all,, so on the 9 th of feb i will be given answers from my EMG test if i have a desease or not, (i did CBC also ... that would rule out some autoimmune/immune disorders and also cancers like leukemia but cbc is mostl ydone to rule out cancers)... the neuro will order more test if he suspects that the EMG didn't give a clear result, or is abnormal...i think.., but let's see what happens in the 9th Feb, i hope the test won't hurt...i heard it doesn't although needles will be pinned around your hands and feet..and joints probably.., don't worry i think fibro would be the answer if neurologist says there is nothing wrong, i read fibro can be very disabling ... and it resloves itself slowely and sometimes it accompanies a person for all his life, but this is rare, only when symptoms persist always seek a doctor..if doctor is certain you are well, then try to live day by day and thank God that we are alive, tahts' the only thing we can do in that case,, at the beginning of this symptom i had severe muscle aches like inects biting me, especially in the fingers and some parts of my body, i thought i was going to die, now it lessend a bit, but those weird pins and needles are the only thigns that won't go away, i get stressed as a result of my stress i bring headaches which i shouldnt...\ hope you get better soon.
see ya later.
it's still kind of early for me to post but, i'm doing it anyway.  i just got up and so far so good.  i'm going out today!!  i'm going shopping with my son's girlfriend and i can't wait.  i'll post later to let you know i fared.  bye
hi how are you? i have been at home all day, i have sore muscles now, i don't know what to do! but as long as i don't have fever i think i can exclude something malignant that needs scans etc.., i am glad that you're doing well, my pricking now has transformed into occasional shockes which means the pricking has lessened but the sore muscles now is a problem, and they are aimed at fibromalygia (fibromyalgia) like points (for example the elbow, to the hand extremeties, soreness in the neck and under (upper part of the back) , backside, and knees, and ankles, i searched the internet and fibro presents exactly like that...
hi, how are you?  i had so much fun on friday!  i was in a lot of pain afterward but, it was worth it.  it was wonderful being out of the house and in the company of a really nice person.  i also got in a good amount of retail therapy.  my legs were quite painful while walking though.  it felt as though i was walking through water against the current.  i also had stabbing pains that were bad i would moan out loud.  you should have seen the faces of people who heard me, it was so funny!  being out in the fresh air and sunshine did my outlook on life a lot of good.  the aching and pins and needles were quite bad that nite though. oh well, i got through it and am still here.  i pray that you are doing well and hope to hear from you soon.  bye
hi how are you? i'm sorry for your pins and needles, i had them yesterday before going to sleep, but at least i went out and had fun with my parents and uncles, on the 9th Feb i will be given the EMG i hope i have the results at the same day, hopefully the day is going to be a saturday coz in case it will hurt i will have two long days at home, not doing anything, only going to CHurch on Sunday which i think i can bear, after all God has did a great sacrifice for us, why not go to church because of some pain? i say..but anyway i hope you are better, taking some rest might help, hot baths , heat and rest really helps me a lot even when i message myself i feel really better, probably the pain needs sometime before it goes away but at least doctors make us ease our mind that our pain is not from something serious and in our case a neurologist is a best proof, because it is neurologic in nature therefore neurologist can teckle more our situation, stres can cause our symptoms to get worse... so i think the best way if there is time is to take rest.. ireally feel better when i rest..anyway hear from you soon...
hello, how are you doing?  yes, i did rest on sunday.  the only thing that had me on my feet for a long time was making dinner.  i did not have pins and needles or a lot of pain on sunday.  it was great!!  today, i even went for a short walk.  i had to go to the mailbox to mail some bills.  i was a little anxious about going because it is two blocks away.  i also had to go uphill which was a little daunting.  i did get the stabbing pains as i was walking but, i just trudged on.  even though i was in pain, it was wonderful to be outside in the sunshine and fresh air.  if it is nice outside tomorrow i may go walking again.  my appointment with my neuro and physiatrist are a week from today.  i am hoping they can shed some light on my condition.  i want to wish you luck on your emg and hope you are doing ok.  take care of yourself.  bye
Hey, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like ****. I just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel!! A few years ago I had a similar experience... tingling that started in my left foot, and by the end of the day my entire body was pins and needles. Even my eyelids!! I also felt weak and dizzy. My symptons gradually disapeared but my first thought was MS. Had a couple of MRI's and all is normal. No MS. No explanation (which is frustrating). This happened a second time a couple months later and again symptons gradually disapeared. Might all possibly have been anxiety related. Who knows. I guess there are things we still don't know about the body and can't get diagnosed.

Good luck. Hang in there, I hope it all goes away very soon.
hi how are you all? i hope you are all ok, yeterday i had a cold, actually i can barely speak, the muscular pain/pins and needles lessened a bit, but although the simptoms became vague , i would thing they must disappear in order to say that it's over, if they are vague i guess they are still there but they are healing slowly, remember nerves and muscles take a long period to heal, probably that's why if the pain is muscle related we tend to have it for a while..sometimes i also worry about MS but if MS or lupus are present there would be fever and the person won't feel like he wants to work etc.., but only to sleep because he/she is too fatigued because of the illness.., such illnesses need treatment and without treatment a person cannot cope everyday work/life..i can't wait to have my emg done.... there were times where i thought the pains were over but they started again...in case the pain will finish after more or less six months i will blame it on the flue vaccine becuse some people have had negative effects and complain how the flue vaccine effected them negatively...some had more frequent headaches after takeing the vaccine and even a worse cold or aches...muscle aches can be one of the reason sincei  started to get them immediately i have had the flue shot..although usually i take it, it effects me positively i don't know why this time is not the same.
i've never gotten a flu shot.  i have been lucky in that i have not gotten the flu for many, many years.  when my kids were little i got it every year.  whatever they came home with,i got!!  well the walk was good yesterday.  however, i was in excruciating pain all nite.  the pain was like nothing i've felt before.  i guess going for a walk was not a good idea after all.  i'm just trying to get back a little normalcy in my life.  i will just have to wait a little longer i suspect.  i will inform my neuro about this.  maybe he can shed some light on what is the matter.  even though i had a very bad time last nite, i still will maintain a positive outlook.  today, i am cleaning my house regardless of the pain.  i will rest when i am finished.  hope everyone is doing fine today.  later, bye
hi how are you? i think living with fibro or with someting similar (some non fatal illnesses are close to fibro like CFS) is really frustrating, i can understand you, i started with this 6 months ago almost, and i read on the net to be diagnosed with fibro , you have this pain for more than 6 months with no other complications..if it was from an infection (our boss had aches all over for example but felt the urge to sleep he had an infection in the bowels) that presents with fever. Muscle aches rarely present with fever, it only present with fever if it from an infection/(viral infections like hiv where the fever comes and goes or stays constant for months accompanied by diharrea (the diahhrea is severe not like in fibro) i don't have diharrea nor infection...because i don't have fever... my neuro also  after testing me he told me that my EMG will be normal or if abnormality is found it would be something non life threatening so i shouldn't worry and continue with my everyday life as nothing is serious...so i think it's something like fibro or similar CFS etc.. although i'm afraid of MS and Lupus conditions where your very high immune system attacks your body..anyway i hope you will feel better, yesterday i at work i came across and FS5 (the way they present their cheque for us to isue recept) it belonged to the company called 'Muscular distrophy Group' i searched for their telephone number to no avail, but i think this is a bit crazy to think such things...i don't have muscle weakness, i think in those six months full of symptoms and pain, at a point the muscle weakness would be present right?
im just amazed at everyone that has symtoms (symptoms) similar to mines, and how many doctors have such bad bedside manners. When they dont no what is going on they say stress, but who no's your body better then we. This nuero came to me in the hospital that showed himself to be so uncompassionate i was awed at how he talked to me.  I will never forget his face and will never recommend him to anyone.  But all these symtoms (symptoms) in so many people only make me realize that there is something in our food or water that is causing this and it has not yet been discovered, directed more to ms.  Anyway the doctor wanted to prescribe xanax and i said no, because i know better, so here i am with another nuero doing the ruling out of test to find the cause. I suggest anyone needing to change nuero's do not hesitate until you find one that listens.
i posted a question yesterday which was answered by dr. abhijeet.  he said that my abnormal mri hints at ms as well as all of my symptoms.  he suggests i go thru with emg and to test cfs.  i am going to see my neuro next week and will speak to him about this.  my symptoms have gotten worse in the past few days.  i'm wondering if it's because i pushed myself too hard.  after going for a walk on monday the pain was pretty bad.  yesterday, i cleaned the bathroom, washed the kitchen floor and vacuumed all the rugs.  last nite i was in a lot of pain again.  i guess i really can't do the things i used to do before these symptoms began.  today, i am not going to push myself so hard and maybe tonite the pain won't be so bad.  we'll see what happens.  i wish you all well.  bye
hi how are you? when did you have your abnormal mri? i thought your mri was normal, although my neuro said that i dont need mri, because i haven't been in any situation that require it.., but i hope my emg comes out positive... that means not from a life threatening situation... i think most doctors say stress because they don't think it's really life threatening case, and probably stress can bring out pins and needles and muscular  pain but it can also be from the flue shot i got, because imemdiately after that i started with those pains that makes me feel like an 80 year old while i'm not even half of that age...more close to 26 or 29 rather to that age...but i feel that way since i had that pain...my uncles who are 85 years old never complained of pain in their lives, stress can bring a lot of chronic results such as blood pressure, but i don't know about if it contributes muscular pain, because when i'm stressed i usually get pins and needles, and my pressure stays normal or gets low...sometimes muscular pain from stress is worse than blood pressure..., before i had widespread muscular pain and the tender points were almost all over, now i have them on my upper body like neck, elbows that radiates to the extremities, hips and tights (but hips and tights do not hurt much)..i have no fever so i guess my situation is something like fibro or a herniated disc or a pinched nerve etc..(i used to weight train more than i could also)...
anyway i hope your neuro will tell you exactly what your symptoms represent.... pins and needles sometimes are worse than muscular pain because you feel like bitten or like bugs biting under your skin...it's very frustrating.., people are so surprised when i say i have pins and needles at such a young age because they say that this happen only to the old or peole who are older than me..., but i think this can happen to anyone, you don't have to be 80 to get this pain i think
write back
hello, how are you feeling?  no, you don't have to be 80 years old to get these pains.  i had and mri in october of 2007 following an auto accident.  it showed lesions in the frontal  regions and decreased signal on flare in T1 and abnormalities in the peduncle.  dr. aberhijeet said that this hints as ms.  he recommended having the emg and lumbar puncture to test csf.  i went grocery shopping yesterday and i had pins and needles, stinging pain ,itchiness and muscle twitches all nite long.  i didn't get much sleep.  i am getting really frustrated by not being able to do things without getting severe pain and other debilitating symptoms.  it's soooo aggravating!!!  i can't wait for my appointment with my neuro this monday.  i am going to press the issue of emg and lumbar puncture.  i hope he doesn't blow me off.  i'll be really angry if he does.  i'll have to find another neuro if that happens.  i hope things are going better for you this week.  how soon is your emg?  i pray all goes well.  have a good weekend.  bye
I have been having a lot of the same feeling I get a constant headrush and won't go away I have been to the ER9 times this month. They have gien me blood tests CT scans and monitior my vitals . They assume that it is anxiety and but me on meds funny thing still getting the symptoms and I have been taking there anxiety meds. My question for somebody does a CAT scan show a ballooned artery as well as a MRI. By the way I'm 25 years old
yeah, i get a rushing, throbbing feeling in my head too.  what exactly are your other symptoms?  i wish i could answer your question about ct scan and mri for a ballooned artery but, i don't have one.  do you have medical insurance?  if so, can you see see your pcp for these symptoms?   maybe then he/she could refer you to a neuro.  in my own experience it has nothing to do with anxiety.  er docs just want you out the door asap.  if you present with a problem they don't recognize they assume that you're a nut!  stick to your guns and find some real help.  hang in there!  bye
hi again, did you get the emg test yet? i'm also having some headache with the eye movements but i'm having a cold right now so i don't know what exactly are the symptoms if they won't go away theni would think it's another symptom which is neurological in nature... i only rely on the physical/neurological examinations given to me,  like reflex testing etc, i think not sure that MS or ALS people don't have good reflexes i assume, because he said i have good reflexes and i don't display muscle weakness, i think this is the worst symptom you can get; i mainly get paresthesias either in the limbs  and now in the neck and eyes (with eye movements) when i rest i feel better, maybe it's lack of rest that i have? not sure when i will do my emg test ( i believe this is the most important test when it concerns the nervous system) i hope i will know and that's the end of my test...or maybe i will be given blood tests if my headache will remain,, it's just mild not intense thank God
write back
to your first answer i think lumbar puncture or emg are more accurate than mri...i don't know if i have ms because i didn't have emg yet , also i think a neurological examination is enough to determine if you have ms or not.., according to my neuro, my nature is not something serious but it's like fibro... the doctor who told you has ms, didn't evaluate you he just told you here on the net, i think a neuro would be a better choice and not here the best way is that he evaluates you according to your symptoms at the time of the test also mention him all your symtpoms and try to take another neurological test.... maybe this about the lesions have to do with the accidents...that's why first get a neuro openion rather than an mri...i think spinal tap is more accurate than mri, i would choose the latter...i have never had mri so i would refuse to do it if they ask me to do it and tell them to do a lumbar puncture/spinal tap instead... write back
hi, how are you today?  unfortunately, my symptoms have not alleviated at all.  the itching is so severe it is driving me crazy,  it never stops!  i am still getting stinging and tingling all over too.   i don't know what my doc will say about these symptoms when i see him on monday.  i just know that i need some relief.  i haven't been getting much sleep because of the itching and stinging either.  whatever test my doc wants to do next is ok with me.  anything to find out what the heck is going on.  hopefully, he will also be able to prescribe some meds to help me in the meantime.  people think i'm just having an allergic reaction to something but, i'm not.  there is no rash and the itching and stinging is under the skin, not on it.  maybe i'll try going out today to get my mind off things,  wish me luck!  have a nice weekend.  bye
hi how are you? i hope you feel better, constant paresthesia is no joke, it is hard to deal with chronic paresthesia, it feels like bugs biting under your skin, you try to rub some muscle relexant but this relief , you know is temporary, my neuro said i have no need for mri, because when he examined me i responded to all his tests, desease are suspected with abnormal neuro exam here... i don't know if i'm allergic to anything but these symptoms started last year October, and i'm still carrying it on...although not as severe as it used to be, i have no muscle weakness but the shocks shooting, sometimes stabbing pain in the muscles and paresthesia make me feel tired, and like an aged person, my cousin used to have this and had a negative test too, he did emg all was ok...he was afraid of ms so his doctor scheduled him to further testing and all came ok... his parents think that it is anxiety or he is carrying too much load (his work involve heavy loads) but can this contribute to chronic muscle pain/paresthesia? muscle pain that comes alone with periferal paresthesia is usually associated with fibromalygia (fibromyalgia)...(i read somewhere) that fibromalgya is pain in the muscle fibers, which includes muscle pain and paresthesia (pain in muscle fibers)...fibro can also be disabling,,but anyway i will be having some relief after my emg test before that i can't say for sure it's fibro. yes i'm young but there are young people who have chronic deseases not only few... a relative of my aunty (she is 80 not history of ailments she is healthy at 80) he is like 24 year old, he is diagnosed with ALS and is on a wheelchair (als is a form of muscular distrophy that usually starts from one limb or leg) he has been with this illness since he was 5 and doctors are sure that because of his motor neuropathy he will not reach 30... but who knows, God knows...it would be better if he had ms because it is not fatal and only few people end up disabled, although the pain is constant...but he has that fatal desease...the sad thing is that there is no treatment either not only no cure..., in ms there are lots of treatments...and ms sometimes and many times iwould say it stops to progress...lifespan is normal...
anyway but still i'm sometimes afraid...i hate to have pains that i know i have to feel them for all my life..well, i hope that we shall feel better once and for all, and maybe doctors will understand that this is not in our head but a real pain~!
wriet back
hello, are you doing well today?  i did feel a little better when i was out yesterday.  i went out with my husband who is back from california.  it's nice going out with him because if i get dizzy and my legs start to hurt, i have him to lean on.  he has been very loving and sympathetic since he got back.  he helps with the cooking and the dirty dishes.  not too many men will do that!!  he checks on me to see if i need anything and if i do, he gets for me.  he has also gotten me a few new dvd's and a lovely necklace.  what a man!!!  so anyway, last nite wasn't too bad.  only a little itching and not much pain.  i even slept better.  today, the itching and stinging is back though.  i will just have to get thru it as we are having company over for the Super Bowl.  Our team, the New England Patriots are in it and they are going to win it!!  wish me luck that i'll be able to enjoy it.  i hope you are having a nice weekend too.  take care of yourself.  bye
hi i'm glad you feel better, i hope that your symptoms will go away once and for all... yes most husbands do not help their wives, my collegues have this problem lol, one of them  she says that her husband doesn't help her at all, and so she has to do all stuff prepare the lunches etc.., so you can imagine you're lucky, to have somone who can do things for you, like my parents, they always not letting me do anything and treat me like somone very important to them instead (like many parents in my country do) of urging them to do the chorse needed and have little food at the end of the day...anyway, i fear ms like you do, because periferal neuropathy presents with pricking mostly in the feet and no muscle pain or eye pain, however ms has eye pain headache , and pricking , but i'm not sensitive to heat at all, and i do remember things clearly... probably it's fibro, because fibro presents well with facial/head pain in a form of tension headache.., neurological examination usually includes testng for str okes even if they are not requested by the patient as it is part of his job i think right? .. , but from blood test and pressure etc.. all came clean.., i fear many things, but sometimes pain can come from stress because our boss is really good for stressing people... if he hears what i'm typing here he might get mad at me right now lol thank God i haven't seen him for more than a week now though in a way i think it's not a good idea to talk like that, because he has had an infection that lasted like 15 days.. it's colon related...i hope he is ok though...
well rite back...
graz
Hey guys I think you all should look up "glyconutrients" and Dr. Robert Young's "New Biology" theory about alkalinizing the body.  Start doing some research.  Extensive studies about both have been shown to be very promising in ALL diseases.
my neuro said that i have no desease...i won't like it if i am told i have a desease first because i'm yet young, i'n my early thirties, secondly i have been dragging with mucle pains in my legs only since i was in my early twenties and was afraid to tell my family because they will accuse me of being crazy, finally when this spred up to my torso, and hands, my parents said to me that i'm a psycho and should go to a psychiartic unit, so you see that's why i didn't talk before.., the simptoms look like fibro, in case emg is negative , i have to do the test yet...,i don't general blood test and it came good.., i also did rh blood test , it was good.., what more tests should i do after emg? i guess the only test i didn't do was lyme its' because tis not common deasease here...
anyway, i was on vitamine b12, but it worsened my symptoms instead of correnting them... paresthesia have lessened its' frequency thank God, i never experianced it before , but i always experianced muscle aches although the frequenecy was at it s peak in october, now it has lessend, i never experianced muscle weakeness but stiffness and heaviness yes...
hello.  i saw my neuro yesterday.  he is not sure what is going on but, he has ordered an mri and evoked potentials.  i think he is very cautious about giving a diagnosis.  he did write on the order for the mri however, "check for demyelinating disease."  i'm not sure what other diseases can be demyelinating but, ms is one of them.  i am not going to worry about it though.  the evoked potential test is to test my optic nerve for "optic neuritis."  both tests are this week which is really quick.  i hope at least one of them shows what's up.  i'm sorry, i don't know what other tests you should have after an emg if your doc thinks nothing is wrong.  if it is fibro there is a medicine called Lyrica that is supposed to help with the pain.  i haven't tried it so i don't know how or if it works.  my symptoms are not too bad this week.  mostly stinging and itching.  i do also have a mild headache and some dizziness.  i am feeling better than i was a few weeks ago so, i take this "remission" as a blessing.  let me know how you are doing.  stay strong!  bye
hi how are you? after the cold i have been getting strange neurological symptoms , especially when the cold started to lessen, paresthesias, is mainly located in my hands, especially in the median nerve it hurts a lot, the eye pain lessened after the infection has gone, my mother wants me to stay inside , because she thinks i still have symptoms of cold but after 3 days of cold i feel fine, usually when i have a cold i take like 8 days even with the injection of influenza and now i take like 3 days or even one day for the c old to go away, isn't it strange? i have all symptoms that indicate cold including fever and suddenly i feel fine and it won't come back until there is the climate change and usually it takes like one year for it to come back not that i want to have a cold but before i started with this symptoms (neurological) getting cold was common now it's rare...what do you think?
i hope your tests comes ok, and that the doc will say it's only fibro... you can easily treat fibro, ms is more disabling, but it is not fatal but some people are afraid of ms because in rare cases a person needs other's aid..
write back
I am actually in a panic right now... i am 23 years old healthy and the last 3 days my left arm seemed to be tingling and numb it comes and goes doesn't matter what i am doing... and today as i was getting my daughter out of the bath my arm just went limp for 9 mins. and afterwards its been tingling and numb for the last 3 hours nonstop i am going to make a doctor appointment because i can't afford the emergency room. I am lost and need some kind of advice on what i should be asking about if anyone knows.
Ppl... try some basic things..

Try to get a watch on your acidity levels.   Also, chk your neck and back for stiffness.  
Do light excercises of every limb and especially do excercise for neck, back, shoulders, and Very importantly.. EYES.

Avoid Television and Computer as mch as possible.  

and fianlly ... try n keep the tension levels low.  Best way for this is do Simple YOGA. If possible, work with a Yoga teacher for 1 mnth and learn some basic excercises. It really works wonders.

Lead a disciplined life .. follow routines. But always keep in mind 2 things...
1.  Do your work and do not think of the results/rewards. Dont compare urself with others too much. When you think that a feeling of comparison is overpowering you.. just say "Wat the heck" and forget it.

2.  There are opportunities which will go and keep coming in different forms. Whatever happens, happens for good. You may feel angry at some mishappenning .. but keep patience and be sensible .. you will soon find the good behind that mishappening.

Dont fear death.. it will come when it is bound to come.. Till then live life as it comes. Bcos if you live life thinking of death.. then at the time of death.. you will regret that you didnt live the life.

Dont Panic and BE SENSIBLE in all situations ... and KEEP the Faith .. Always.
My mom is 62 and she started having heaviness of the hand, numbness in the entire left side of her body and pins and needles in her hand.  She complained of her palms feeling very very rough.  Its been three months as she first noticed the feeling mid march of 2010.  She's spent about four days in the hospital doing all kinds of test.  Still no diagnosis.   Just wondering if anyone has a diagnosis or any medication to alleviate the symptoms
I am a 62 year old female, with the tingling, numbness and heaviness and pain in my left hand, arm and shoulders for the last four hours and it will not go away.  Of course two of my fingers and my thumb are also numb, because of carpal tunnel.  I have had this for over 27 years and I always had therapy for it; although I did have the surgery on my right hand over 27 years ago for the carpal tunnel.   I should mention that I just recently had a EMG, because of the severe pain in both hands in July.  I should also mention that in Jan. 2010 I was diagnosed with Guillian-Barre` Syndrome and was in ICU for 20 days.  The results of my last EMG the nuero confirmed the carpal tunnel on the left side and also told me that I was losing muscle in my hands; but because the EMG confirmed that my nerves were still slow and sluggish, like they were in Jan.  there would be no surgery in the near future. Two of my fingers are totally  heavy and numb; my thumb the numbness comes and goes. During the last EMG I felt very little of the shocks and only one needle stick me.  I am assuming that the numbness, heaviness and the pain in my left arm are all part of the carpal tunnel.  Have any of your had that checked out?  It is funny that I can feel this, because other than the pain I had in my hands this summer, I have not feelings what so ever.  I hope this helps someone.  Check with you nuero's or GP's to see if this could be the cause of your symptoms.
The emergency department make me worse as  have had previous anxiety everytime I go in there they straight diagnose me with anxiety.
I have been having tight heart, crunching feeling, numbness in left side of my face and left arm, also tingling in my body .
i have 4 boys and m a single mother that means im under alot of stress.
On top of my own problems.
what do I do?
I stumbled across this forum and wanted to see if anyone here could shed some light on my strange symptoms as well. Four months ago I had a pins-and-needles feeling in my left forearm and hand. It came and went within a few days. A few weeks later, it returned, along with tingling in the left side of my face, then went away again. Another month later, the facial tingling came back, along with a slight tingle/perceived weakness in my left leg (but no more arm/hand issues). I say "perceived" because in actuality I was able to continue walking and playing sports as normal. It's more like a heavy feeling than true weakness, I guess. Oh, and the tip of my left big toe is also a little tingly/numb (weird but true - certainly not in my head). These symptoms disappeared as well, and then came back a few weeks later. For the last month or so, my left jaw is tingly and numb (sometimes my right jaw is a bit tingly as well, but not as much), and I have that toe tip tingle, perceived weakness in my left leg, and now left upper arm as well.

Very strange symptoms. I'm a 29 year old male, healthy, visited my doctor several times. He ordered an MRI to rule out MS, which was negative, did a functional nerve test in which everything was normal, did blood tests which found no evidence of Lyme or thyroid issues. The only slightly concerning finding was my vitamin B12 level, which is on the borderline of the lower limit of normal. But my doctor doesn't seem to think my B12 was low enough to cause these symptoms. When I first came across Lyme symptoms, I was almost convinced I had it until the blood test came back, since I live in the Northeast and do a fair amount of mountain biking and hiking (and have never been that diligent about checking for ticks).

I'd rather not send myself around to other doctors. I'm hoping some of you might have some ideas.
Hi Cortex_toom
i feel the same right now its driving me crazy.. i know how you and everyone else feels. i am a healthy 27 year old who has never had any symtoms (symptoms) like this... i have had all my bloods done normal and also its not vasculitis or diabeties.. i have had abnormal MRI i have migraines and 2 white spots on my T2 white matter... which he said are non specific and nothing to worry about and week later get all this tingling down left side and arm feels so heavy i dont understand what it is from. i think i have everything right now. there is not one day i ever feel great with something making me feel down... does anyone else feels this... my neuro says all reflexes everythings great and have another MRI in 6 months to make sure there are no more changes... so frustrating...
I just found this thread. How is everyone? I have similar symptoms. Feeling of numbness in my left arm with no loss of strength. Numbness at times seems to extend to the left side of my face. While I was out yesterday my left leg seemed weak after walking for awhile. Went to the er and doc said it was anxiety. But I am not an anxious person. I know I am not imagining these symptoms.
Hi I have had weird symptoms over the last year started with a vibration in my tailbone that came and went lasting few months , woke up with right side of face slightly numb and sensitive to touch , sensitivity to sharp loud noises that make me feel as though my head is going to burst , I have had tingling in my lips and the last week i have had pins and needles in my left hand and  a slight weakness and up my arm I am Now feeling the tingling down my left shin nauseus feeling and dizzy  , I have had a brain MRI and it was normal no ms or tumors so I am totally stumped and scared of what it could be ... Nice to know I'm not alone but still scared , many people have said I should look into aspartame poisoning as I gave used sweeteners for years and diet drinks etc so I'm stopping all of those and see what happens  
I have very simular symptoms as most of your posts here. I have severe dizziness (very light headed to the point I feel like I might pass out and it happens no matter if I am standing, sitting or laying down), heaviness and slight tingleness in my left arm (though it feels numb, i can feel when i pinch myself and no loss of strength or movement), my left leg feels almost as bad as my arm but not quite, but I can feel the difference in my legs when I walk as my left leg feels heavier or maybe weaker is the correct word than the right leg and I have even had some shortness of breath. It got bad last week to where I couldn't eat or sleep for like 4 days. I finally went to the ER. They seemed to run their normal tests and told me that I wasn't dieing to go hom, if it got worse come back otherwise a appointment with my doctor. The diagnosis from the ER simply said what my complaints were. Not what the found or didn't find. Weird. Later that night it happened again and felt worse. So I went back to the ER and this time at least they ran a MRI of my head (and I found out I had a brain, Who knew!) but they said everything looked normal. They said there were no signs of a heart attack, stroke or anything with the tests they ran and sent me home again with the diagnosis this time of fatigue and weakness.. No kidding I have fatigue, I have been up for 4 days and haven't ate. So unhappy with how I felt I was treated I called the discharge nurse and talked to him. He had me come back in and after sitting in the ER on a friday night for 5 hours I go to the back and they ran no tests at all. Instead they sent in the mental health people. They think it is just anxiety. Well I am not a professional by any means but the way I feel feels mighty real to me. But I told them that if they can give me a "happy pill" that will make it all go away, more power to them. I figured I would give it a shot because I have to wait until monday to call to make a appointment for a neurologist anyways. So I am on Buspirone that treats symptoms of anxiety. And to be honest, it has not taken away the symptoms, but they are less servere. So I am on the fence with this. Not sure if maybe they just haven't gotten the right dosage yet or if it isn't the problem and I am just playing mind over matter. All these symptoms and nothing shows up on any tests. It would not suprise me that one day they find out that these are early signs of something more critical that just hasn't surfaced yet. Would be nice if someone would start a study on this matter as it seems I am not the only one by far with these issues. What would also be really nice is if a doctor of any sort would leave some sort of feedback saying I had a patient with these symptoms and it turned out to be this. May not be what we all have, but at least it would give us direction. Hard to sit here and just suffer with this while everyone else just says that there's nothing we can do for you, we don't know whats wrong or I think it's all in your head. No matter how true these statements may be, it does not make it any easier for us who are suffering with this. I just think it's funny when they say you seem a little gittery, or you seem a little anxious. Well no kidding, lol. Go for days feeling like your going to pass out or like you had a stroke or whatever and see how you feel. I will bring up the B12 thing when I get in to see a neurologist and some of the other thing's I have read on here and hope the doctor doesn't feel like I am driving myself crazy by trying to self-diagnos over the internt. And if anyone has had any success with this as far as any answers, please post them. Like I stated earlier, it may not be what we all have but it may be what some of us have, but never the less, it does give us some direction to go on. It is possible that a doctor(s) may have just over looked something or maybe it normally has nothing to do with how we feel but for some strange reason, it does. Never know. Feel free to leave any comments.
I was taken to the emergency with similar symptoms as all of you guys, my doctor diagnosed me with Vertigo, I recommend going to an ENT
I have lots of these symptoms and finally had a brain MRI done. I will say first I do have anxiety disorder/ panic attacks. I have vertigo attacks, feelings of off balance, ringing in my ears, a few times I have had auras, flashing zig zag lights for about 20 minutes with nausea. I have left arm heaviness, lots of muscles tightness, spasms in my neck and back. Sudden feelings of nausea and off balance. Facial numbness on and off, twitching eye lids.   My MRI located a epidermoid tumor/ cyst, skull based pressing on my cerebellum.  So if you are having symptoms and you just have a feeling the drs are saying it's just stress, keep pushing them for answers. I suggested the brain MRI.  I would have, still do a feeling of falling that happened even when I was laying down. I saw a eye Dr, a ENT and a neurologist.  But had I not insisted all my problems where related and had only been getting worse I would still be just DX with anxiety.  They did the MRI to check for MS, that's how they found this rare form of tumor. Now I am on a wait and watch my symptoms until the symptoms out weigh the risk of surgery.
http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/guide/cervical-osteoarthritis-cervical-spondylosis

I have had many of the symptoms people have been describing for the past month. I've had numerous blood test, mri, x rays yet I do not have a diagnosis.

I will be discussing this with my Dr. Monday morning. I hate self diagnosing, it leads to anxiety and worrying about the way TOO many what ifs.

I do think that I have found the answer to what is wrong with me, but I will keep updating until I get a definitive answer.

Good Luck

Cin