Neurology Community
Dizziness, neck pain, headaches, forgetfulness and more...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

One night over 3 years ago I went out and had some drinks. No more than normal and my usual. But I got so sick, I can't remember most of the night. I woke up the next day so dizzy with a bad headache but I thought it was just a hangover. I started to worry when I was still dizzy days later. I had a trust worthy friend with me the night I can't remember and he said I never fell or hit my head or anything. I went to the doctor and he gave me virtigo meds but they made it much worse. My lips and fingertips got numb too.

As time passed I tried to deal with it till I had a job where I had to look up while lifting my arms and that would instantly give me the worst neck pain, headaches and dizziness. It would last 2 or 3 days. If I continued to work like that despite the pain my vision would start to blur and I couldn't read things. For days it would feel like one of my nerves was being pulled on my head and necks right side. It would start in my temple then move to the back of the eye. The more I aggravated it the worse it got and the same thing would happen on my left side. Hot and cold packs did little if anything. When Ultrasound was done to help with the swelling in my neck, my right side would be so sensitive it would burn but I couldn't feel a thing on the left.

I've been to the chiropractor, did physical therapy,  saw an ENT doctor, had x-rays, had an MRI of the neck and brain(with contrast), and saw a neurologist who thought it was tension headaches. Nothing has given me an answer or helped. I haven't had the pulling in my neck lately, I watch my neck and arm movement. But I am constantly dizzy. Some times worse than other times. Sometimes I wake up so dizzy I get sick to my stomach and I can't walk straight. I also usually wake up really weak. I can barely stand or even get out of bed. I feel like that as the years go on, my brain isn't working like it used to. It gets harder to focus and I wont be able to repeat a sentence someone just said to me. My speech is not as good. I'll switch words around or blur the syllables together. Also depending on how I'm sitting or laying I'll get pins and needles in my arms and legs. One of the main things is the discomfort at the base of my skull or top of my neck. It is almost constant. It also feels like my brain is numb. I know you can't feel your brain but that's what it feels like.

I think that's about as much as I can say about it. No one knows whats wrong. I'm hoping I can help find an answer on here.

It is tough to give an opinion without knowing the complete medical history and getting a chance for clinical examination. Some of the causes for dizziness and slurred speech include chronic alcoholism, drug abuse, brain injury or concussion and certain poisonings.
It will help us to know if there is any history of brain and neck injury in the past. There seems to be some nerve compression in the cervical region also based on your post. This requires a clinical evaluation by a neurologist.

Good luck
Your symptoms are almost the same as mine. But along with the memory loss I some times can't understand what I'm reading. Its like it is a foreign language. ANd during an Episode ( what I call them) my head feels like it weighs 80 pounds and I can't lift my arms. After 2 years of shoulder shrugging from Drs was told it was probably a TIA (small stroke). But I think it was just to put a name to it. Good Luck.