Neurology Community
Dizziness, numbness in arms and legs, disassociative vision.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am a healthy, single, 37 year old female.  Over the last several months I have been experiencing dizziness that quickly follows with numbness in arms in legs.  It's more like I can't lift my arms and/or legs.  If I move my head a certain way, I can often feel like I'm falling over.  I can have disassociative vision at times, meaning seeing what I think I'm doing and feeling my hands doing it are 2 different things (comes along during my numbness).  I constantly have ringing in my ears, which I've never paid any mind till symptoms became apparent.  Sometimes a little nausea can be experienced during these symptoms.  I can at times feel numb in the face or have muscle spasms, specifically with my eyes/eyelids and lips.  An occasional headache will ensue shortly after, but will experience constant lethargy.  I can often feel out of breath quickly when I do try to exert myself.  I do have very low blood pressure, average 105/65, lowest seen 89/65 to highest 110/75.  One exception, I had gotten up to 148/75 when I had an anxiety attack (according to the docs).  Temperature averages around 97.1.  I do on occasion drink and smoke.  These symptoms seem to be more pronounced after a night of a couple glasses of wine, BUT can occur without drinking.

I've been to several docs.  My primary care did an MRI with no abnormal results.  I had blood work with Thyroid normal, everything seemed ok aside from a low white blood cell count.  However, the doc noted that it wasn't anything to be concerned about as she mentioned not that low to cause concern.  Several docs mentioned vertigo, haven't tried the medicine as I have inner ear and balance tests this Friday.  I don't feel like it's just vertigo, which doesn't explain the numbness.  I had an ENT doctor mention migraines and gave me anti-seizure medicine, which also makes me nervous to take.

I had my gall bladder out a year ago and noticed that my indigestion and heartburn has increased ten fold.  I currently take Protonix for that, which is the only drug I'm currently on as I am nervous that I don't have the right diagnosis.  I've been to the ER twice, once for thinking I was having a heart attack and second for the above symptoms.

I am seeking an endoscopy to determine if there are digestive concerns and seeking an inner ear & balance test.  What would my next step be?  Am I missing something?  It has affective my ability to work and play.  I am just seeking an answer, whether good, bad or indifferent.

Thank you for your help!
Avatar dr m tn
The symptoms may result from a combination of orthostatic hypotension, Anxiety, Inner ear problem and an associated cardiac or neurolgic condition. A possible cause of all the symptoms could be  Multiple sclerosis. It is a demyelinating disease that affects the nerves of brain and spine and causes balance problems, headaches, numbness, muscle spasms, vision problems and othe neurological problems. Please wait for the inner ear tests. If they are inconclusive, please go for a Lumbar puncture to rule out multiple sclerosis. A series of MRI may be necessary to rule out the disease. Please discuss it with your neurologist. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

Avatar n tn
Thank you for your comments and prospective.  I have been very frustrated with no answer.  After research, a lot of your perspective does sound like what I came up with.
Thanks!  I am off to my ear and balance test.
Avatar n tn
My symptoms are a little different.  I've been experiencing dizziness and numbness in my lips, tounge and right arm and leg and very fatiged.  Went to the ER, Blood Pressure was extremley high; blood work and CT came back normal.  Dr. told me it was Vertigo and treated me with Antibiotics, Steriods and Antivert.  They told me that my brain was going into panic mode with the vertigo and was causing my BP to rise.  Took all the meds, symptoms got a little better; my GP ordered an EEG just to make sure because my BP was still a little high, the test came back normal and they adjusted my BP meds.  The symptoms stopped for about a week and a half and now I'm back to feeling like someone is swimming in my head and numbness on my right side but the BP is good.  The Antivert is not helping the dizziness at all this time;  I'm scheduled to go back to the GP in the morning.  I've missed nearly a month at work due to the BP and having to take it easy, this is getting very frustrating.  I feal like a hypocondriact and a total whiner when I go to the Doctor.  What kind of questions should I ask, I feal like something is being missed.  
Did you ever find out what was causing this? Would be interested to know.