Neurology Expert Forum
Dizziness After a Fall

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizziness After a Fall

I fell on ice a year ago and hit my head. Several days later I began to experience debilitating dizzy spells that have been ongoing
  for over a year. A catscan showed nothing. I've seen countless doctors. One thought it was due to high blood pressure.
  Another told me to (literally) give my head a shake, bring on the dizziness and it would go away in a couple of weeks. It didn't.
  Another told me to sit on the end of my bed, roll my head from side to side and fall backwards. Other than feeling and looking
  stupid, it didn't have any effect on my dizziness at all. I am 67 years old and in very good health. Searches on the inet re:
  surgery and treatment have been vague at best. Help please.

Dear Richard:
Diziness as you may or may not know can be caused by many reasons some of which are neurological while others are not. In the case of your history it is worrisome that this began after you fell and hit your head.  If your case is related to this fall then the likely mechanism for you injury could involve decreased blood flow to the back part of the brain (known as the brainstem). It would help if you could quantify the spells that you have and give a more complete description of what happens, how these spells come on and whether anything makes them better. In any event I think an MRI with MRA ( to look at the blood vessels) might be needed.
I hope this helps. Good Luck !