Neurology Community
Dizziness/Confusion/Numbness/Head pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I self-diagnosed with depersonalization/derealization about 8 months ago, and it has been torturing me ever since (the causes are unknown).
Recently (about a month ago or so) , I've been getting many symptoms such as :

Dizziness - Feel like I'm on a boat, I kinda shake at the rythm of my heartbeat
Confusion - I have terrible memory loss, and I often feel spaced out
Numbness - Affects the top of my head mainly, and the rest of my body
Head pressure - I feel sort of a pressure/numbness on the top of my head and forehead
Fast heartbeat

Every single doctor says I have nothing, that I'm perfectly healthy and that I should calm down (get rid of anxiety) , but the problem is, I'm not even that anxious. I often feel bad even when I'm super relaxed.

I'd be really appreciated if you people could either share your stories (if you have the same symptoms) , or tell me what's possibly going on with me.
Hi, Thank you for question. Most likely possibility in your case could be a panic or anxiety disorder that you have faced during last event and currently experiencing. Cause of such panic disorder mostly remain unknown but in this disorder you may feel symptoms like shortness of breath, feeling of choking, pain in the chest, nausea, stomach ache, feeling dizzy, tingling or numbness, chills /hot flashes, bounding heartbeat or fast heart rate, sweating, shaking etc. even without any underlying disorder. This disorder needs to be thoroughly assessed by a psychiatrist first since this can occur repeatedly and without warning.  Treatments may include psychological and drug treatments, and depend upon extent of severity of symptoms. Most commonly psychological treatment tried is counseling, relaxation techniques and sometimes cognitive behavior therapy. ************** depends upon treating the underlying depressive illness through anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medicines.  In addition, try to rest in a dark & quiet room, meditate, have a balanced diet, regularly exercise and avoid taking unnecessary non prescription drugs to avoid recurrence of symptoms.
Hope this helps!!

Bump :(
Hope this helps!!

First of all, thanks a lot for the reply.

But could this be related to depersonalization? Because as I've mentioned in my first post, I don't feel anxious at all. I've also been getting some ear related issues, such as an annoying ringing that comes and goes, short loss of hearing, constant headaches and muscle pain. I tried to get a relation between all these and sinus infection (which I do have, but doctors said it's not severe) and TMJ, which I do have as well, but it just wouldn't explain all of the symptoms listed.
Hi, I'm new here, trying to find some answers to my problem. I have all that and pins and needles as well, it's just horrible.
And no, I am not anxious!

I have been visiting doctors for the past 3 months, I am having a test in two weeks because it may be Labyrinthitis or Meniere's disease. Check the synptoms out, they are all the same.

Good luck
If it's not panic disorder, then I agree with Mizat's post.  When your inner ear has an infection or some other problem, this can cause that boat-rocking sensation, that strange feeling of unreality, the heart gets to beating fast, and the numbness and dizziness means you are actually close to passing out.  The inner ear is where the balance mechanism is, and if it's not working right, you get unsteady, and this automatically causes the heart to start racing, and rapid heartrate is what makes you feel separated from self, and the dizziness happens just before you might faint.  My husband has it, and I've seen just how hard vertigo can be on him when it's happening, and he's as tough as they come.

As Mizat said, he's getting those inner ear tests.  Usually this is treated either with just anti-motion-sickness type medicine, like meclazine, or if you have a bad infection, an ear nose throat ENT doc will clean out your ear and give you ear drops too.  Normally this goes away after a period of time, but with others, it can go on for years.  In the movie, "The Right Stuff," an astronaut had this, he passed out cold from the dizziness, and he was not able to go on any of the Apollo flights he was scheduled for.  But years later, an operation for his inner ear was perfected, and this made his vertigo go away, and he managed to get on the space shuttle before he retired.

Sharpshoot, I have no idea why your docs have not pegged you with vertigo, but for heaven's sake, since they apparently missed medical school's Inner Ear 101, go to an ear nose throat ENT doc, and he'll know what you got right off the bat, he can do similar tests as what Mizat is having done, and hopefully you'll get to feeling better real soon.  While you wait to see one of those ENT docs, go into a drugstore and buy some motion sickness medicine, try meclazine if it's there, and see if that doesn't help you get thru the time until your appointment.  Even if it doesn't help, still go to the ENT, becuz like I said, could be you got several other things wrong with your inner ear.
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I went to see the dentist because I've always had a weird cracking whenever I opened my mouth, and it turned into painful cracking a few months later. Recently, I've found out that this could be related to TMJ disorder, and I thought it could have something to do with some of my symptoms (except for weakness/muscle pain/fast heartbeat. He told me to do some scan or whatever, which I will in a few days, but he said it shouldn't be causing these symptoms.

I'm going to the ENT soon though, and probably the neurologist after if nothing comes up because I'm really tired of this
Have you looked into dysautonomia at all? My daughter has all of these symptoms and she was diagnoed with dysautonomia. She also has peripheral neuropathy.  There is a forum here on dysautonomia - check it out.
How's dysautonomia diagnosed?
Well there are a number of tests like the tilt table tests, but mostly its a diagnosis of exclusion I guess...still learning it all. She had so many tests that were normal results...finding a cardiologist or neurologist who knows anything about it will be helpful!  check out dinet.org also.
I've looked up the symptoms of dysautonomia and it mentions excessive thirst, which is something that I don't have, at all. I never drink water, I'd say I drink about a glass of water per week.. This is actually one of my symptoms, I used to drink loads of water, I was always thirsty, then all of a sudden I stopped drinking.
I agree with mizat and ggreg totally.  I have unresolved labyrinthitis and been battling it for 10 months now.  I have the SAME exact symptoms you have.  I had two physicians tried to pin a somatic diagnosis on me; the psych card,  just like they have done with you.

Have you had any ENT testing?  I think it is your inner ear too.  Google labyrinthitis.  Usually it resolves, but mine has not.  Guess I am one of the lucky ones; NOT.  
Yeah I've run into labyrinthis before while googling, and it looked quite possible, but as usual I mentioned it to my parents/doctors and they all laughed, because have no idea of what it is, and aren't even interested, but I'm willing to do what it takes to get off this debilitating state, and I will get the treatment I need.

But just wondering, can labyrinthis cause headaches/spaced out feeling?
Yes, Londres70, headaches and feeling lightheaded are some of the symptoms for Labyrinthitis. Good news is it can be viral, that means it goes away...bad news is it can be chronic! I still don't know what I have for sure, will find out next week hopefully.
Just wish I could have some answers. 3 months feeling this unwell without knowing why is very distressful.
Yes, I have the headaches and spaced-out feeling; it is not pleasant to say the least when your job depends on concentration and focus such as mine.  

May I ask, how old are you?  You mentioned parents and physician "laughed" this off.  Well, they are not the ones living in this condition; it is very difficult.  If you are under 18, there is not much you can do without your parent's consent if you are in the USA.  

Have you had psych issues in the past?  I do not know why your parents and physician are not interested in investigating this.  
I'm 19 years old, but there isn't much I can do. Everything that has to do with health is paid in my country, and I don't have a job, because I feel way too bad to work.

As for psychological disturbances in the past, no, not really, and from what I know my familly is pretty healthy as well.
Well, I wish you the best and hope your parents and physician will take your seriously and consult an ENT specialist.  If you do have labyrinthitis its needs to be taken care of promptly before it causes permanent problems.  
It can cause permanent problems? I've read that it can last for a few months, but it will eventually go away.. is that wrong? And if I do have it, is there an easy treatment?
I have had problems with my vision, balance, etc. because I was not treated promptly; it is going on a year and still it has not resolved.   In some cases, it becomes chronic; never going away.  Google unresolved labyrinthitis.  

No, there is NO easy treatment, if there were I would not be in the position I am in.  I have learned to live around it.  

I don't know what you have; you need to be DIAGNOSED first and NO ONE on here can do that.  

Sharpshoot,
Just go to the health clinic in your area, tell them you think you have vertigo (that's a more common word for labrynthitis), and let them take care of you.  As for it becoming permanent, this is indeed true, my husband has had vertigo for about 15 years.  SOME people it does go away, but others it doesn't, but there are treatments for it either way.  Why suffer if you don't have to?  If your country pays for it, like if you're in Canada or Great Britain, it doesn't matter if you have a job or not.  Just go to a clinic or hospital or doctor and be seen.  Let us know what happens.
GG
Also, here is a website that answers the questions you've been asking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis
Well, in here as soon as you step in a clinic and suggest that you have this or that because you've researched it on the internet, the doctor won't take you serious, or even make fun of you and send you home untreated. I know it sounds unreal and stupid, but trust me, that's exactly how it goes. My mother works in a clinic as an assistant, and she spoke to thousands of doctors in there about my syptoms (symptoms), none of them seems to take this seriously, and that's probably why she's not taking it seriously either, because she takes their word, meanwhile I feel like I'm dying.
Your husband must be a STRONG person to deal with vertigo for 15 years.  Does he have rotational vertigo or rocking/swaying type vertigo?  I have the rocking/swaying 24/7 except when I am sleep.  I still work, cook, clean, etc. but some days I have to completely rest.  
Ggreg gave some good advice.  

May I ask in what country do you live?  
Sorry, did not fill in your complete name on my last post.
I live in Portugal. From what I've heard, healthcare is horrible in every country (with 1 or 2 exceptions) , but I think Portugal has to be in the top of the worst.
Well, that is not true about healthcare being "horrible" in every country except 1-2.  That is not to say that alot of healthcare systems could be better, but "horrible" would be a bit harsh to describe all of them except 1-2.
Dear Londres,
You asked about rotational versus rocking, and it's been a long while since we've been to the docs about all this, so I don't remember the exact terms they called his.  He calls it dizziness.  It's triggered by fast movements around him, like crowds, busy stores and restaurants, and especially riding in a car, and if it rains or snows or lots of light and shadow, it gets really bad.  This causes him to grab hold of the nearest stable thing, he looks down, and anxiety builds.  It can go away fairly quickly or sometimes continues even after he sits down.  As long as he's at home or fooling around in the yard or whatever, he's okay.  It's when he goes places that it bothers him.  He lost some hearing in one of his ears when he was a young adult, so we think that has something to do with it.  One thing interesting, tho, is I was reading the Wkipedia article about labrythitis for Sharpshoot, and it said something in there about some people adapt better to the loss of balance than others, and without that, it can become chronic.  I told my husband about it and am going to que up the article for him to read, maybe it's a clue to help him get past it.  Thank you for your interest.  And yes, he's some kinda tough, and so must YOU be!
GG
Dear Sharpshoot,
Like I mentioned before, get some motion sickness pills as the drugstore, stuff that has meclazine in it, and see if that helps when you get an attack of the boat rocking thing.  Also, another trick, to get your heartrate down and thus any anxiety down, is to do deep breathing, take a real deep breath and blow it out, breathe normally a few times, then deep breathe again, continue ten times.  But an ENT doc just might find you have a little infection going in your ear and just by cleaning it out and giving you drops, plus some drugs for vertigo, just might pull you through for good.  

I don't care how lousy your health care system is, just make an appointment TODAY and be done with it.  I mean, supposing vertigo is not the problem, then at least the ENT will know what doc you ought to see, so many people come to him with this balance thing that if you don't have it, he'll then be able to refer you to a neurologist or the right doc for what you do have.  If you just sit and do nothing about it, what good is that?  Gee whiz.  You're a grown man and can pick up the phone and dial it just like everybody else.  If you have no cash, just ask the doctor's office people to please bill you.  And you don't have to tell people you found out you got vertigo from the internet.  It's so common that if you mention you think you might have that because you feel like you're rocking on a boat, that's all you gotta say.  The doctor will take over the visit from there.  
GG
Healthcare in Portugal is not worstthan in the UK. I know that from experience.
But in both places you have to be persistent and exagerate and insist again. It's the only way you will be heard.
Yeah, that's probably the only way to be heard but I was never really the kind of person that complains  a lot, but I guess I'll have to, else I'll be stuck in this state forever