Neurology Community
Dizziness after eating a meal.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizziness after eating a meal.

About a week ago I began feeling dizzy after eating a meal; also sudden drop in blood pressure. I have a history of digestive issues and GERD, but usually have that under control by eating smaller meals and chewing thoroughly. Also have been experiencing a pulsing in my abdomen after eating and when laying down for the night. This sometimes interferes with my ability to take a deep breath without making my heart skip a beat. I have had EKG, blood work for heart issues, CAT scan of abdomen, etc. and everything checks out to be normal and no aneurism (aneurysm). Dr. is now suggesting heart echo; I'm thinking he thinks there could be a blockage of blood to the abdominal area. If that is the case, would that cause the dizziness? I had a heart Echo last summer (abt 9 months ago) and it was normal. Has anyone had these symptoms and if so did you find a cure for the issue? Thanks for any help.
Hi!
Dizziness while eating could be due to acid reflux, which you have. The reverse flow of contents of the stomach cause a series of neurochemical transmissions, which cause dizziness. It is also related to changing pressure in the cochlear canals of the ear during this process. Normal GERD will not cause dizziness if under control. However a person with severe uncontrolled acidity or when such a person is hungry or his stomach is empty except for the acid, he may feel dizzy. Also presence of an ulcer in the stomach or weak esophageal sphincter can complicate matter. I would recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system).
The second possibility is that you also have a TMJ disorder that precipitates dizziness once you start chewing. This is most likely cause. It can also happen when you open your mouth to put the food in.
Many patients with TMJ have dizziness. There are two possible causes. One is that when TMJ is inflamed inner ear is affected causing dizziness. The second possible cause is inflammation of the sternocleidomastoid muscle (SCM) involved in TMJ and chewing, opening the mouth etc.
Please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

thank you so much for your response. I will pursue this with my doctor.
Sorry to be so long getting back with a response. I neglected to mention that I have a pacemaker. The problem that was causing the dizziness was my pacemaker battery had died (end of life) where doesn't pace, but holds your hr at 64 whether you are sitting still watching TV or exercising. The pm was only 3 yrs. old and was told it was a defect b/c I was told two months prior that I had 7 yrs left on battery.
I did have an endoscopy and colonoscopy and they turned out fine. I have also been to an ENT and all was good there as well.
Thanks for your help.