Neurology Expert Forum
Dizziness and tingling.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizziness and tingling.

Hello, since a week or so I have been having a lot of nerves, stress and anger around me, especially anger. Since that week I have been feeling weird tingling around the legs and feet together with pain around them, not only that I have been feeling tingling around the scalp, lighth headaches and most of all, dizzyness and overall sleepyness all the time. Four months ago I have visited a very good neurologist here where I live due to similiar sympthoms and tension headahe, after examining me for more than a hour and a half he said that he can't see even the smallest sign of a serious sickness such as MS or a tumour, and gave it all to anxiety which I really feel a lot. Also I ahve another problem, I sit on my pc a lot due to work and other things, around 14-15 hours a day, and have problems with the neck due to it becasue of the fact I sit on the chair in the same static position always, which caused my tension headache, after I had my neck adjusted by the neurologist, the headache disappeared, I also don't get a lot of sleep due to staying up late. I am a male on 17 years, and I have strong anxiety around my life, yet each time I google "tingling and dizzyness" the first thing that comes out is "MS", I would like to ask if it's possible considering all those things for me to have MS or something?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Multiple sclerosis is a disease that primarily affects the central nervous system (brain, spinal cord, nerves from the eye, the optic nerves). Symptoms may be mild to severe, ranging from tingling and numbness to paralysis. There is not one test alone or one symptom that can diagnose MS, but there are well-established criteria that help neurologists make the diagnosis. These include taking a thorough history, doing a thorough physical exam, conducting an MRI of the brain and sometimes the spine, and sometimes ancillary testing such as lumbar puncture and visual evoked potentials ((a test of how the nerve from the eye, the optic nerve, is functioning). If an MRI of the brain and spine is normal, the diagnosis of MS becomes highly unlikely. Alternatively, if someone has several lesions on the brain MRI, but they have not had distinct episodes of neurologic symptoms, or they have specific findings on neurologic examination, then a diagnosis of MS cannot be made.

Symptoms of MS include sudden attacks of loss of vision from optic neuritis, loss of balance, stiffness, tingling/numbness or weakness in one or more limbs. I am unsure if you have had any symptoms other than the tingling. I am glad you have already been evaluated by a neurologist recently and he did not think it was MS

You have mentioned that you have had neck problems in the past. They may be linked to the tingling/pain feeling you are experiencing.

There is a condition called cervical compressive radiculopathy.
Radiculopathy occurs when nerve roots (coming out of the spinal cord) become compressed at the neck or spine and this results in pain, tingling, and numbness, with or without loss of function in the area supplied by the affected nerve. Common causes of cervical radiculopathy are neural foramen narrowing (neural foramen is the canal through which the nerve exits) , usually caused by cervical arthritis in older adults, and cervical disk lesion caused by disk degeneration or herniation. Disk degeneration results in loss of disk space, with closer approximation of the vertebrae on either side of the involved disk space and subsequent impingement on the neural foramen. The decrease in size of the neural foramen results in nerve root compression. The cervical disk spaces are more often affected. Disk herniation also occurs more often in these.

Common symptoms include pain radiating to the shoulder or down the upper extremity, which may be aggravated by coughing, sneezing, or straining; tingling of the fingers; and less often, weakness in the extremity. You may have  tenderness on the neck, limitation in certain movements of the neck.

A diagnostic modality is MRI of the cervical spine. If the MRI shows the herniations are pressing on the spinal cord or it shows that the neural foramina (the spaces/bony canal through which nerves exit the spinal cord to get to all the muscles/body) are narrowed, then one can get symptoms of muscle weakness and tingling in the region supplied by those affected nerves.

Ofcourse anxiety, stress and sleep deprivation on its own can also explain the symptoms you are having. I would advise seeing your neurologist if these symptoms continue and also to try and decrease the stresses in your life.

General sleep hygiene tips are as follows:
Maintain a regular sleep routine
• Go to bed at the same time. Wake up at the same time. Ideally, your schedule will remain the same (+/- 20 minutes) every night of the week.
Avoid naps if possible
• Naps decrease the ‘Sleep Debt’ that is so necessary for easy sleep onset.
• Each of us needs a certain amount of sleep per 24-hour period. We need that amount, and we don’t need more than that.
• When we take naps, it decreases the amount of sleep that we need the next night – which may cause sleep fragmentation and diffulty initiating sleep, and may lead to insomnia.  
Don’t stay in bed awake for more than 5-10 minutes.
• If you find your mind racing, or worrying about not being able to sleep during the middle of the night, get out of bed, and sit in a chair in the dark. Do your mind racing in the chair until you are sleepy, then return to bed. No TV or internet during these periods! That will just stimulate you more than desired.
• If this happens several times during the night, that is OK. Just maintain your regular wake time, and try to avoid naps.
Don’t watch TV or read in bed.
• When you watch TV or read in bed, you associate the bed with wakefulness.
• The bed is reserved for two things – sleep and hanky panky.
Do not drink caffeine inappropriately
• The effects of caffeine may last for several hours after ingestion. Caffeine can fragment sleep, and cause difficulty initiating sleep. If you drink caffeine, use it only before noon.
• Remember that soda and tea contain caffeine as well.
Avoid inappropriate substances that interfere with sleep
• Cigarettes, alcohol, and over-the-counter medications may cause fragmented sleep.
Exercise regularly
• Exercise before 2 pm every day. Exercise promotes continuous sleep.
• Avoid rigorous exercise before bedtime. Rigorous exercise circulates endorphins into the body which may cause difficulty initiating sleep.
Have a quiet, comfortable bedroom
• Set your bedroom thermostat at a comfortable temperature. Generally, a little cooler is better than a little warmer.
• Turn off the TV and other extraneous noise that may disrupt sleep. Background ‘white noise’ like a fan is OK.
• If your pets awaken you, keep them outside the bedroom.
• Your bedroom should be dark. Turn off bright lights.
If you are a ‘clock watcher’ at night, hide the clock.
Have a comfortable pre-bedtime routine
• A warm bath, shower
• Meditation, or quiet time

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.