Neurology Expert Forum
Dizziness/foggy feeling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizziness/foggy feeling

Hello.  For a few months now, I have been having this somewhat bizarre feeling in my head.  It comes and goes - sometimes lasts a while - sometimes goes away for a week or so.  It's almost like I'm dizzy, but not like I'm about to pass out.  It's almost a similar sensation to motion sickness where I feel like what I'm focusing on with my eyes suddenly makes me kind of nauseous.  I feel kind of "foggy-headed" - kind of like when you have a bad head cold and you're "disconnected", so to speak.  I had been given a new type of contact lenses by my eye doctor, so he switched me to another kind, thinking that these may have been drying out too much and re-shaping on my eye to cause focusing problems.  I'm not sure if this is related to my eyes or something in my head or something else!  It scares me when it happens and it can sometimes last for a few hours where I'm incredibly aware of my head feeling foggy - probably causes me to worry about it more than I should.  I do work most of my day on a computer.  Is this something I should look into?  I was told it could be related to allergies?  Is this something to be concerned about?  I am scheduled for my annual physical with my doctor at the beginning of January - would this warrant seeing him sooner?  Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
Dear Just Concerned:

It is difficult to say what may be occuring, as the internet is not a good medium to diagnose an illness.  I think since this have been going on for awhile you are okay to wait until January, UNLESS the symptoms get worse.  I would keep a journal of these events.  Note the time, duration, and what you were feeling. Also include anything associated with the "foggy feeling" such as seeing objects like black dots, colors, nausea, vomiting, etc.  There are many things that can make you feel foggy from sinusitis, medications, viral infections, to the real bad things.  

I hope all is just passing and you are soon back to health.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
The symptom you describe while obviously very distressing is very difficult to attribute to a single cause. Very frequently it is not possible to pin down an exact basis of these vague intermittent subjective feelings.
I would at least be confident that it is not due to an  "allergy" however !!
This could be due to a number of underlying causes, for instance if your blood sugar is low this can occurr, you would need to have your blood sugar level checked during one of the episodes to be sure.
Very rarely this can be due to epileptic activity, but you would need an EEG during one of the episodes to clarify this.
One way to help determine if this is a serious problem is to ask if other people notice something wrong during one of the episodes, if so it is more likely to have a definite organic basis. I cannot advise you when to see your doctor but I do this  this shoud be brought to his / her attention and investigated.
Thank you so much for your quick answers!  I will start keeping track of what is specifically going on and be sure to talk to my doctor about it in January.  He is doing some routine bloodwork in December before my physical, so I may mention it to him before then in case he wants to have anything extra run on my blood.  Thanks again.
This is very interesting...I was dizzy for 6 months, and saw halos, fluorescent light really made it bad...The weird thing is I got my first pair of glasse for nearsightedness and it started to clear up however I still get lightheaded but not as bad....I have very tight neck muscles I think from posture problems , and I thought I might have been squinting causing my neck muscles to become tenser and making things worse...I too have a feeling of dry eyes and scratched my left cornea before all this started..it wasn't healing properly...I thought I had MS or something but had normal MRI of Brain, cervical and lumbar and normal EP's.How could the eye cause this dizziness folks? CCF Neuro or anyone else who cares to comment? My symptoms "just concerned" were a lot like yours....Strange stuff.
Dear Kevin:

The tracts of the eye and vestibular system are connected.  If there is disruption of either, there can be dizziness.  For example, motion illness, in some people the eye does not process movement correctly and therefore one gets nauseated and sometimes a lightheaded feeling.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thank you for your response...my neuro is very open minded, and when I show him information like this, particularly from another neurologist, he is very receptive and actually asks for copies of this information....to help decide things...( I've had the other types of doctors who dismiss anything I bring to them as " forget everything from the internet") so I'm very lucky...Since just concerned and I seem to have a similar problem, is there a test that can be performed for this this type of thing and which specialist.Last post, promise. Thank you again.
Dear Kevin:

Yes there is a test that looks at eye movements in concert with vestibular function.  It is done only at specific centers such as Harvard, UCLA, and the Cleveland Clinic.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
go see a neurootologist (inner ear specialist) at a teaching hospital.
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD

You really need to
a) have vestibular testing first.. pray that its negative.. a vestibular problem is definitely something nasty to have as there is not much you can do about it.
b) have a CT scan of your sinuses.

I had the same problems as you, but when vestibular testing came back negative, the neuro assumed there was nothing wrong with me and that I'd be better off at a psychiatrist.

And I did go to a psychiatrist, who said my problems sound like they could be sinus-related. I was given a nasal spray called 'Beconase AQ' which got rid of most of the pressure I would get in my head and I could focus properly and my vision cleared up a lot. Dizziness/imbalance still remained somewhat, so I had a CT scan of the sinuses which showed a very badly deviated septum, polyps, very little flow in ethmoid and maxillary sinuses but no sinus infection. There was no way to tell if surgery would fix my problem for sure, but I had it done and now I feel 100% again (after living for 2 years with fogginess, lightheaddedness, dizziness/imbalance and feeling detached).

Please give it a try.

-Adam
I don't know if I'm in the right place or not, but if I'm not, please forgive me.  

Several months ago, I began to have what I call "spells."  It feels like something in my spine that gets weak and then I feel very light headed as though I'm going to pass out.  

I've had 5 major spine surgeries - 2 lumbar and 3 cervical, the last being for spinal cord compression at the C3/C4 levels.  I've also had a total hip replacement.  Because of these chronic conditions, I'm currently a patient in a Pain Management Clinic at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, in Washington, D.C.  I'm treated with MS Contin 30 mg, MS Contin 15 mg, 2 percocet at bedtime, 100 mg of elavil before bed.  In May of this year, I became very depressed and was given Wellbutrin and Trazadone.  These spells started after that.  

Most recently, I've had cataract surgery on both my eyes.  Upon recovery from the cataract surgery, when my doctor (ophthalmologist) was examining my eyes, he found that my optic nerve is swollen and immediately sent me to other doctors who agreed that it was swollen and told me I need to see a neurologist right away and the swollen optic nerve meant an increased level of pressure in the brain.  My initial physician wanted these other folks to determine if I have papilledema or pseudo papilledema.  The second physician I saw, as I said above, said that I needed to see a neurologist right away.  

I had a brain stem stroke in 1988 and tomorrow, I'm going to see the neurologist who treated me for that.  I'm a military dependent and wanted to keep my care at Walter Reed, but for some reason, they've dropped the ball on this and thus I decided to see the physician who treated my stroke simply because of the doctor's sense of urgency.  I seem to remember at that time that something was said about my optic nerve, but I cannot remember what.  I do remember that I was given cortisone to try to bring my vision back to normal after the stroke.  However, I'm sure they have my records archived and can easily find out.  It didn't, but it did get normal over a period of time by itself.  I had double vision then.  When I mentioned this to the second ophthalmologist (the one who told me to see a neurologist), he said no, this is more recent than that - meaning this swelling.  I don't know how he could know that.  

Anyway, as I said above, the only unusual symptom I've had are my weak spells and I've been told that I get very pale during them.  It almost feels as though my blood pressure rises and then suddenly drops.  

I would appreciate any comments you may have regarding my condition.

Margaret Roosa
I am very interested in the comments about the dizzy feelings.
For the past three weeks I have been experiencing these dizzy feelings but not as a headache. They have been at their worst when I have been eating and having a glass of wine with dinner. At that point I become dizzy and feel very hot. I immediately lose my apetite.
I have recently changed my reading glasses for a slightly stronger pair but I would be amazed if this caused such an effect. I have also been taking a course of Roaccutane but my specialist who prescribed these does not believe they would be having this effect.
I have now lost my appetite and don't know where to go next.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dear Jonathan:

I would take a wild guess and tell you that your dizziness and flushing is due to the interaction of the alcohol and accutane.  I would not do both at the same time.  Look at the insert of the accutane and see if this is a side effect.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Very interesting that so many people have similar experiences.  I too have been experiencing, dizziness, blurred vision, out-of-focus-type experiences. I also have added turning "40" to all of my other issues which have included one petit mal seizure which, after many tests, directed my physicians to locate a meningioma located on my brain and sitting on the nervous system area that affects the left side of my body.  Various medication failures have lead me to Dilantin for the past year with little side effects.  Recently, the vision thing started up.  So now I wonder is it "40" or is it the medication?  I've had my vision checked and have been told "welcome to getting older".  But I can't seem to accept such a change so rapidly and noticeable.  One thing I have discovered that seems to relieve the length of the experiences is Chiropractic care.  I understand that this may seem unusual, but I have found that proper adjustments to keep my skeletal and muscular system "in-line" seems to do a great deal.  I carry my stress in my shoulder/neck area and this relieves alot of pressure in this area.  I can actually feel a "rush" type sensation after an adjustment.  I have also found that keeping physically active helps as well.  If I don't get up and move, I notice more bluriness.  Best wishes to all.
Dear E.J. Gill:

thanks for the comments.

CCF Neuro MD
For my lightheadedness, my ENT has recommended the surgery which Adam (above) probably had.  I was going to get it done till a couple of people told me how horrible it was to have their nose packed for three days, and how it didn't even always help.  But after reading Adam's comment maybe I'll give it a shot.  Adam, if you get this, what was your experience with having your nose packed?
Dear Wendy:

If surgery is what you do, I hope that your symptoms are relieved by it.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
i dont agree with the person who said it your diziness could not possibly be related to allergies!! i have had re-occuring problems with diziness and extreme fatigue for years, it comes and goes through out the year- ihad many tests done and plenty of blood work, nothing showed up-i am now convinced that it is allergy/sinus problems.  a good allergist or ent will verify that.
thanks for your comments.

CCF Neuro MD
Hello my name is david. About a year ago on Thanksgiving eve, I took the drug known as extacy. After that I smoked pot. In the morning when I woke up, I felt as if I were in another time zone.  I thought it was just going to wear off but it hasn't to this date. (a year later) My symtoms (symptoms) are constant foggieness, confusion, panic attacks, pressure in my eyes, social dissruptance,( I can't even look at anyone in the eye anymore) I rarely feel normal. I'd say maybe 1 day out of the week I'm ok. After a Saterday night of drinking It is at it's worst. My personality has totaly changed because of this problem. I cannot afford an mri or catscan. I have become deathly affraid of social events that involve people listening to what I have to say. It has also affected my driving. D

Did this drug cause a chemical imbalance in my brain? I'm not a big pot smoker but when I did, I felt as though I were on another planet. I couldn't understand anything that came out of people's mouths. I think it might be some kind of imbalance. Is there anyway to balance it if I'm right. There are many other symptoms but I think you get the idea so far. What do I do? I'm only 23 years old. I can't deal with this much longer. Please advise....
David, have you tried a psychologist?  I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but your drug event could have spurred a psychological problem that was lying in ambush.  Ya know,  kind of how sometimes a traumatic event starts something?  For example, if you were paranoid, even just a bit, before you took the drug, and it was, as you described, a bad experience, paranoia in general could have begun there.  I am sorry you feel so awful.  I feel awful too.  I am apparently suffering from anxiety or panic or something.  It sure takes a lot of the pleasure out of living.  But maybe we will both be lucky, and this will all eventually pass.  Good luck, and try to get better insurance or go to a doctor school or participate in a study where you get free medical treatment.  Such studies are advertised in the classified ads.
Dear David:

I would see a psychologist or psychiatrist.  It sounds like you have had a drug induced psychosis.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thank you for your comment doctor. What does a drug induced phychosis mean though?  Is this cureible? Is their any other way of handling this? I cannot afford a phyciatrist.....David
Hello,my name is Mike. about six months ago I started getting the same dizzy/foggy feeling that others here have described along with headaches and blurred vision,I thought it was from working on a computer all day so I had my supervisor change me to another position. but it didnt go away,I tried eating when it would happen,that didnt work. When this happened I didnt have a primary care phys. When I went to a walk in clinic doctor he checked my eyes,better than 20/20 vision,blood work CBC and other levels KCl etc. all came out fine.he suggested an MRI but by then I found a P.C.P who was still with my plan.When I went to him he ran more blood tests,and those came out fine.I was then told it was stress and given midrin and indocin (which was changed to naproxen after abdominal pain) the midrin only helped the headaches and the indocin and naproxen did nothing.On my next appointment my Dr. was,out one of his partners filled in and he also suggested I have an MRI.but he couldnt approve it. On my next visit to my Dr. I was given a script for xanax,he said I was still to stressed,and even the xanax did nothing for me. So I quit my job because of this and other reasons. then symptoms slowed but never stopped and when I started working again they were even more apparent,NOW i've started getting very severe pains in the front right side of my head when I exert myself like durring workouts and even sex,it calms after about 10 mins. and totally subsides in about 3hrs.,as of right now I have no ins. and don't have a clue as to what it could be,can you please tell me what this might be,any info is better than none.           P.S. I dont do drugs or drink ,I smoke about 1/2 a pack of cigs. per day and I'm not over weight
P.S. I am 25 years old
Dear Mike:

I am sorry to hear about your dizziness and headaches.  I would initially tell you to get a good neurological exam.  It is difficult to give you anything over the internet as your symptoms can be the result of alot of etiologies.  The headaches after exertion can be a common entity of exertional headaches.  We usually prescribe a good dose of Ibuprofen 20 - 30 minutes before exercise or sex.  If that helps then one of your problems may be fixed.  As far as the dizziness, maybe the neurological exam might help find an etiology for this symptom.  

Sorry, I'm not much help.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I am 29 years old and have been experiencing a dizzy/foggy/detached feeling (24/7) for the last three years.  I have had tests for ENT, blood tests and an MRI scan but all showed that everything was OK.  I have worked as a computer programmer for the past 4.5 years and feel more dizzy when I am in front of the screen (eight hours a day everyday) or when I am reading but the feeling never leaves me completely. I have tried taking long vactions (three weeks) but the feeling did not disappear. My vision is affected the symptom being that objects do not appear to be perfectly stationary even though they are.  I do not wear glasses for reading or computer work but I do for driving. Any comments ?
D.***@****

Thanks for your time

Dominic
Since my early 20's I've had problems with balance where if I stand up a pressure builds, travels up my spine into my head. At times I was literly knocked to the floor. Some times I almost blacked, and times I did. Before this I did have 3 children, twins the second time, both C-sections. I found that at times my right foot, leg, would slip off the pedal while driving. I often had problems lifting my feet and stumbled while walking or simply colasped to the ground while walking. I don't remember blacking at then. One doctor did a spinal tape to check my spine. I was allergic to the dye and was in the hospital 24 days. The machines kept trying to break down. While he was trying to take the dye out my body would bow up in a fetal position and then straighten out. All during this time I kepts hearing these blood curdling screams not realizing it was me. When he stopped, leaving some of the dye in my body which he tried to take out a day later, to no avail, I was drenched, my hair as if I had showered. I did not know anything for several days. When I finally became aware of what was going on I had lost from 130lbs to 95lbs. Needless to say the headaches were severe for years. I've had a history of feeling weak, unwell, etc. and then improving. During the next several years I was sent to psychirists etc. All kinds of doctors telling me it was all in my head. In the 80's doctors said I had MS and then MG. I was treaded for MG for 3 years. In 1988 I came to NE with my family. Doctors again said I had MG or possibly MS. I did some research after seeing information on Lyme Disease. I asked my doctor to test me for lyme. It was very high and elevating. He tried three kinds of antibotics. He transfered to work out of the hospital in RI. I didn't see another doctor until I moved to CT. In 1998-99, my doctor found that I have Fibromylagia (fibromyalgia)/Myofascia. Thyroid problems along with asthma I've had since 13yrs old. I have osteoarthritis. The assembly work I've done has played havoc with my hands.  I've said all that to ask this, and please forgive me for being so long in getting here. I have recently missed two weeks of work with severe headaches. The pressure seems to build up in my spine and into my head at times. Sometimes the throbing, severe, dull pain goes up the back of my neck through my head to the top of my skull. Other times sharpe pains go up each side of my head to the backs of my eyes and temples. I have a lot of ear pain. My doctor was on vacation so I saw my nurse prac. Whom, I trust as much as my doctor, I might add. She consulted with other doctors and they sent me to an Optomologist. I told him about the severe headaches and the bright flashes of light I've been seeing. He saw something in right eye but was concerned more with something he saw in the left eye. He also said something was elevated in the left eye. He wanted to do an MRI and lumbar puncher. I haven't heard from my doctor yet. Do you think it would be wise to have the lumbar puncher? My family wants me to go on disability. I do value being a bit independent. I am married to a wonderful guy, have been for 33yrs this year. I am being treated for a chemical imbalance in the brain that causes depression. I'm on several meds. What is your opinion on the disability. I feel very fortunate to be working 10 hours days, 4 days a week, plus overtime.         If this is too long, I will surely understand if you cannot address my letter.  God Bless!
Just thought it might help if I tell you that in 1997 I fell on the ice, knocked myself out by hitting the back of my head. The next day while leaving work I black out, found myself face down on the pavement. Doctor said I had a concusion. For years I've also had something growing in my eyes. It's like a sac hanging from the top of vision with long stringy things hanging down which move, swaying back and forth when looking side to side. When looking up, the things go out of sight and then start back down again. They seem to be connected in pieces meeting at a bright light where several connected lines branch out from these. Any help is much appreciated.  Wanda   ***@****   I get confused sometimes and may not remember how to find this area for my answer. Please email me too.  Thx again!   Wanda
Dear Wanda:

I am not sure what is going on, without being able to exam you or see the results from previous tests.  A good place to start is with a good neurological exam.  Since your problems began before the fall on the ice, I don't think that is the source of your problem.  However, it may have added to it.  After, a good neurological exam then if warranted, a MRI of your head and c-spine might be a good idea.  I do not know what your describing in your eye.

Sorry, I can't help.

CCF Neuro MD
Around Thanksgiving of this past year, I had a bad case of diareha. Shortly thereafter, I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I started increasing my fiber and that took care of that, but I also started experiencing slight dizziness / mental fog. The dizziness would come and go, but shortly after that I noticed pain in my right leg which spread up my spine and numbness in my left arm.

The mental fog/ dizziness always was relieved, temporarily but jogging.

One primary case doctor said it was depression caused by stress. My latest one said I might have a pinched nerve and recomended lifting weights which I have. My leg and arm are ok, but the dizziness is worse. I don't have it in the morning, but it seems to come on shortly after eating. I also now have extreme tightness in my neck and sholders. I know this sounds like stress, but I'm really not worried or stress about anything. My home life and work is great.

I recently went to a neurologist and had an MRI on my spine and it found nothing, I'm going to have a MRI on my neck and brain. If this doesn't show anything, any suggestions on treatments or specialists I might go to find out how to treat this ?
It's getting very frustrating !

thanks,

John
Dear John:

The good news is that your MRI is so far normal.  I am assuming that all your lab work, especially vitamin B12 levels are normal.  If that hasn't been checked then I would have it done.  Neuropathy type pains travel down a nerve, so it is likely not a neuropathic pain your experiencing.  Some muscle pains can travel up the muscle.  There are some problems that seem to have no immediate answer but after a tincture of time the etiology becomes clear.  Sorry, but at present there seems to be no answer.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro mD
For David -

Some people who have a predisposition to either bi-polar disorder (manic-depression) or clinical depression can actually bring it on by smoking grass or doing other recreational drugs--like angel dust and/or ecstacy.  I know, it happened to me back in 1969 (I had a two year clinical depression, including panic disorder, after smoking grass) AND it has just happened to my 15-year old daughter. She is presently being treated for clinical depression with mood disorder and is on Depakote.

Clinical depression and mood orders do not go away by themselves. You must get help from a doctor specializing in psychiatric illnessess--not a psychologist (tho they are very, very good and necessary for therapy) BUT rather a psycho-pharmacologist or psychiatrist--M.D.'s who can prescribe the correct antidepressant If you can't afford this help, go to your local hospital emergency room.  You need to get medical help right away.  I can not emphasize that enough.  It won't just disappear on its own.
Dear Just Concerned -

I'm curious whether you resolved your problem or got a diagnosis?
My husband has been experiencing the same thing for the last month or so.  It was really strange reading your posting because your description is almost word for word what he has been describing to me.  He just went to see his doctor yesterday.
His doctor says he doesn't show signs of inner ear problems and isn't sure what is causing it. He is going to run some tests so, hopefully something minor will turn up.  

Thanks for any help.

I was wondering if the sinus problems could create light flashes when looking at clouds in the sky and/or just looking around. they always seem out of the corners of my vision.  I also see floaters I do feel congested a lot and my right side of nose is always blocked.  I loose the disconected feeling after taking sudefed.  Just kinda wondering where I should start. John
I read one response that said to be assured it would not be "allergy."  I tend to disagree.  I went through EXACTLY what you are describing.  I have bad allergies found on allergy tests. The foggy feeling was swelling in the nasal cavities, sinuses, possibly pressing on nerves, brain, etc..  It was allergy, period.  After being on allergy shots for nearly a year, and having sinus surgery, I am feeling much better.  So, don't discount allergies.  You would be so surprised at how much they can affect your health.  I thought I was dying of a brain tumor, or something.  Turns out it was dust, trees, etc....
Who would think!!!!!
This is so late after the original post... I had dizziness and terrible brain fog until I was diagnosed and treated for Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia and Neurocardiogenic Syncope. I feel so much better and can live a decent life!
I have a problem with a pulsating sensation in my head just above my forehead,I had my ears syringed and a lot of wax removed and got relief for a week or so but the pulsating has returned again, it gets worse during the day. My doctor give me fluid tablets but they don't seem to work. I have no pain just a thumping sensation in the top of my head. I also now use glasses while reading. Can anyone help?
A related discussion, blurry, watery vision, foggy head feeling was started.
A related discussion, Foggy after Eating was started.
A related discussion, Dizziness/foggy feeling was started.