Neurology Community
Dizziness while Driving

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizziness while Driving

For several years now, I have been experiencing dizziness spells while driving at high speeds on land and/or bridges.  Sometimes I feel that I am going to pass out while driving.  I do have high blood pressure and take meds to control.

Everyday, while driving I feel some anexity and I can feel the chemicals in my body stimulate these conditions.  I am healthy with everything else, taken a stress test, glucose tolerant test, etc.

Has anyone else experienced these conditions and/or symtoms (symptoms) ??  Is this just stresses ??

I really would like to take this to the next level of testing, what recommendations for doctors/specialist do you suggest.??

I this possible an inter ear thing, because I really have the same issues on airplanes too??  My ears buildup lots of pressure and it takes days before they equilize.

Thanks,

Maross

You have described what I am experiencing to a tee! I have exactly the same thing and would be interested to know why. I am under stress right now but have normal blood pressure.  I thought I needed an eye test but what I am experiencing is more like a panic attack.
I'm looking foward to feedback,
Sarah.
Have you found any answers?  I have the identical problem and so do so many others!  If you type in dizziness and driving in search box...see what comes up!

I am 39 and the first time this happened was during my second pregnancy.  I wonder if hormones have anything to do with it?  I can't drive more than 55mph and if I am on the highway, I get dizzy, feel like I am in a fog, break out in a sweat with massive heart palpitations.  I have had every test imaginable to check my brain, ears, heart, blood pressure and vision.  Everything is normal.  But living this way is not, and I have never come across a doctor who has said they have heard what I am talking about.  

I do take synthroid and wonder if that is contributing to the problem.  Please let me know if you get any answers.

I can't imagine we all have panic attacks on highways out of nowhere.
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I CANT EVEN DRIVING TO THE CORNER WITHOUTHAVING A PANIC ATTACK AND THEY LAST A LONG TIME. IVE TRIED SEVERAL MEDICATIONS EFFEXOR,ZOLOFT,PAXIL. I THINK PROZAC IS WHAT CAUSED THEM THATS  WHEN IT STARTED FOR NO REASON,MAYBE I WAS ALLERGIC I HAVE NO CLUE. I HATE GOING THRU THIS. IBE BEEN ON ZOLOFT NOW FOR OVER A YEAR IT DID NO GOOD SO IAM NO WEANING OFF THAT WHICH IS HAS BEEN HORRIBLE. I WISH I COULD BE HYPNOTIZED AND MAKE THIS FEAR OD DRIVNG GO AWAY!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The fluid inside the ears has much to do with our capacity to balance ourselves to be able to move about and proceed as normal human beings. The sloshing around of the fluid inside the human ears is what creates the dizziness in many cases while driving or being in motion . . Stress and anxiety are aggravating factors . Please consult a physician and ENT surgeon for the management of the symptoms . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !  

Hi there,

Are you fine now?? I was a good driver & love to drive but 1 day out of sudden i feel dizzy & feel like im goin out of the way and later on my heart beat start to beat so so so fast which i never had it before.
And i heard you were pregnant that time and now im am I;ve not drive for almost 9 mths i feel abit dizzy once i drive & also have fear...I always convince myself is due to hormones changed and everything willback to normal after deliver....

So may I know how are you now?? Hope you are fine and can drive without any problem anymore. Or if u have any way to solve pls do share with me.

Hope to receive your reply asap.

Many thanks
I have the same symptoms while driving.  Not exactly dizziness, but not a better way to explain it.   I went to a neurologist and had an MRI and EEG done - both were fine.   He sent me to the National Dizziness & Balance Center and they ran 3 hours worth of extensive visual, hearing and balance tests.   Results:  an inner ear problem!    The images from driving go into your eyes then to your inner ear.  If the vestibular system is off (inner ear), the brain doesn't get the signal properly and dizziness/weird aura occur as the images come in but you don't have control due to inner ear problem.   I'm a dancer and move a lot and have no obvious balance trouble, so this was a huge surprise.   There are eye exercises you can do at home to fix.   Tape a piece of paper with a 2 inch letter A (or whatever) to the wall.   Sit 8-10 feet a way and focus on the A.  While staring at the A, turn your head as quickly as possible from left to right repeatedly for 1 minute.   Do that 3 times a day.  There are other eye exercises for peripheral vertigo, specifically Benign Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).   Google and find other exercises.