Neurology Community
Dizziness while sleeping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizziness while sleeping

For the past two nights I have awoken to feeling like the room was spinning. I noticed it most when I would toss in my sleep to another position.  I was also noticing it as I was tilting my head and reading from a book.  What could be causing this...should I see someone?
I think you might be describing vertigo.
There are various causes of vertigo.
You need to see an ENT specialist and physician to check your symptoms.
Vertigo is an illusion of movement, most commonly a sensation of spinning. Usually due to a disturbance in the vestibular system; abnormalities in the visual or somatosensory systems may also contribute to vertigo. Frequently accompanied by nausea, postural unsteadiness, and gait ataxia, and may be provoked or worsened by head movement.
How severe are your symptoms? How long your symptoms have been? Do you hear ringing in ear or buzzing sound? Do you have headache, seizures, severe vomiting etc?
How much time it takes for you between attaining head position and onset of symptoms?
Do you feel lessening of symptoms with repeated trials?
How intense is this feeling of spinning and what is the likelihood of symptom production during any examination session?
It has been a couple of days and I haven't noticed it.  It would take about 10 second for it to go away. I hadn't had any other symptoms beside a stuffy nose.  I did have a dizzy spell several months ago, almost to where I felt like I was being pulled to the right as I walked. It was strange.  I did notice it happened before I started my period. So I am feeling normal today but we'll see if it happens again. I'll touch base with the doc soon too.
What is your name? How old are you?
Have you got any deafness or were you treated for any ear disease before?
Either it could be benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or acute unilateral labyrinthine dysfunction.
You can consult ENT surgeon as early as possible to rule out any pathology if at all it exists.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
i have been having this problem for a few weeks but only when i sleep  on my back....ill be laying in bed watching tv and fall asleep and isntantly the room feels like its spinning so fast i have to turn sideways and hold onto my bed....its happened on and off my whole life but has been pretty steady over the last few weeks
i forgot to add...i have recently had some headaches and seem to not be able to focuss, and have noticed dizziness when i would go on the swings at the park with my son,and when getting off elevators, also have some ear ringing but im a musician so that could be a factor......i hope its nothing but i feel like im going crazy or something
BUMP.....THIS IS REALLY STARTING TO WORRY ME
Hi, i have this problems too lately. well, about 2mths ago, i kept feeling abit dizzy and feeling giddy while closing my eyes trying to sleep. until recently, i even feel giddy while lying on the bed, moreover i keep having headache on the left side of my head.sleeping for 7hrs also doesn't seems enough for me. my temper is getting bad to worse. keep scolding the peoples around me. is it my lack of sleep? or im just thinking too much?
im very worry.
I was just glad to hear i was not the only one with this problem.been getting dizzy for a while if my head is not higher then the rest of my body.i was kind of concerned because this never used to happen to me.It take about 20-30 sec before i can collect my thoughts.Then i'm fine sometimes i get real bad headaches had a cat scan and everything was ok.

So just know your not alone.
I've had dizziness while sleeping, headaches and vomiting over the past week. I saw a doc, he cleaned out some wax out of one of my ears and put me on antibiotics about 5 days ago. This morning I woke up feeling fine for the first time in a week, and I hope it stays this way. Anyway, I think I had an inner ear infection. This is a pretty common cause of dizziness.
Hi, My son(14 yeperiemars) experience great difficulty in case his head falls of the pillows while he's asleap; he wouldn't be able to get up before 8 hours inimum plus feeling he needs to throw up. is that serious?
Thanks,
Rabab.
reeling or spinning is due to imbalance of fluids in the inner ear semi circular canals , this is due to various reasons , sleeplessness, food allergy,more salt intake, ear infection,nose/estuchian tube infection, acidity,position of your head while sleep , relative motion,BP, heights etc, you need to care fully analyse the factors for the cause , then u need to concentrate the factors, remedies, and medicines etc

In allopathy there are medicines to supress the causes , in homeopathy you have good medicines for cure.

please mail for further queries
kiran_kiku_2001***@****

may be i am of some help to you , as some one was for me
My father is having dizziness for the last 1month it gets extreme while sleeping and moving other wise he says he doesnt have.we checked it with the ent specialist and he made him some exercise and suggested him some posture but i would like to know that can we rely on this fact that he otherwise not suffering from other neurological disorder .
   He was in lot of stress for last 4 months and taking a high bp tablets for last 4 or 5 years although he had never complaints about hearing or ent problem Please suggest me the solution to this problem ..
Hello, I have experienced two dizzy spells recently in my sleep. The first time it awoke me with heart palpitations, shortness of breath, my body shaking uncontrollably along with a headache. I was really scary. I woke my husband and he prayed for me and I went to the bathroom and defecated. I felt better but it haunted me for the rest of the day because I had never experienced that before. Well last night it happened again with the only difference being was I didn't use the bathroom. I am 42 and am known to have panic attacks only when I have a public speaking event. This is so embarasing but I have tried everything and still can't manage to gain control of my body shaking uncontrollably, palms and feet sweating and my voice cracking to pieces. I am too old for this! Can anybody help me? Am I having panic attacks in my sleep now?
I am hypertensive but, for the past four months i experience stuff nose blocked throat at night and  morning while in the afternoon am fine. but recently have started feeling dizzy both day and night the attack takes about 2-5 minutes then it goes away am getting worried.

Be02
While i take meds for hypertension it is under control...still i've had vertigo on and off for years. Two years ago i went to an ENT and had a series of tests of which one was the VNG (warm/cool air blowed into the ears one at a time)... this 'normally' produces one to have dizziness, rapid eye movement (nystagmus). My right ear got a normal reaction... however my left ear had no reaction to the air at all. She told me i had a narrowing in my left ear canal... which 'could be' causing problems... but i got NO real diagnosis. After a recent sinus infection my vertigo reared its ugly head again and in my sleep my head feels pressurized/agitated and i even dream i'm sick. When i wake i have to sit up VERY slowly and move like a slug until i can get semi balance. Anyone else have anything similiar? Please post if you can offer advice. Thank you!!