Neurology Community
Dizziness while sleeping.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizziness while sleeping.

Over the past couple of years, i have begun to have severe dizzy spells - WHILE SLEEPING.
There is no sign before going to sleep, no feeling of being unwell, and it's not caused by too much alcohol as some nights I haven't had any.
I will actually wake suddenly, feeling very dizzy which in turn makes me feel sick. I am usually quite clammy and on my back. Although one time I was on my side. I can't stop the feeling as it hits while i'm sleeping.
It will usually wipe me out the next day -  leaving me with a lethargic feeling.
One time I suffered three of these spells in one night and could not stop vomiting the following day.

Can you please give me any clues as to what possible causes there may be so that I can start to follow up ideas.
There is no pattern to the spells, they just hit me out of the blue.

It sounds like vertigo.....vertigo is the dizzy...spinning feeling along with the nausea and vomitting.....vertigo can be a result of some other root cause...have u been to ur dr?
Try sleeping with the head of the bed elevated.....if that helps u should mention it to ur dr...but see ur dr.I get vertigo...the last I had it was Last Oct....and it lasted for 2 weeks...I am not sure what caused it...my dr did not return my calls till after it all stopped.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Hi, was just googling as I have the exact problem you have described.  Did you manage to find out the cause?  I have woken up this morning with it after not having it for several months but I have to find an answer as I am always in fear of "next time". It's a horrible feeling :(
Please let me know if you got any answers!
I have had this heppen to me for years, ever since I was 7 (I'm 30 now). I've been to the doctor and everyone of them act like I'm faking it or have no idea what could be causing it. So I've learned to lived with it. One thing that doea help after these happen is taking some motion sickness medicene. Helps the dizzy feeling and keeps me from vomiting, but I still feel like **** the next day.