Neurology Expert Forum
Dizzy Spells

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizzy Spells

Posted by Kayla P. (Age 16) on May 06, 1999 at 10:42:18
I would like to know what could possibly be contributing to my dizzy spells.  I only feel them when I am walking around and the feeling I get is a light headed sort of off kilter feeling.  This causes a  tingling sensation from my hip all the way down to my toes on my right side.  Also, I get a tingling sensation around my mouth.  All of this is very brief.  It doesn't last very long I have noticed them mostly after I eat and then they go away and I don't notice them until I eat again.  
Is it possible these dizzy spells are related to what I eat or could my past history of Epileptic seizures be the cause?   I haven't had a seizure since I was 6.  I was diagnosed with Partial Complex Seizure Disorder (Left Temporal Lobe).  I have cut 90% of the caffeine out of my diet and refrained from eating too much sugar, this helps some but I am still having them.
Thank you and I hope to hear from you.
Kayla

Posted by Liz on May 06, 1999 at 11:14:19
Hi Kayla-
I also have complex partial seizues and suffer from dizzy spells. My neurologist has told me that they are probably due to my medication. You may want to ask your doctor about that at your next appointment.
Elizabeth
Posted by CCF MD mdf on May 06, 1999 at 11:44:09
Have you seen your doctor about this?
I wonder if the dizziness represents transient hypoglycemia (insulin surge after eating, dropping the blood sugar, etc). But that is better answered by a general doctor (internist, family practitioner, or pediatrician) rather than me.
I am not particularly convinced that this would be seizures, but if you once had them, you should have this checked out by a neurologist if your main doctor doesn't come up with an explanation.
As you know, this forum can't substitute for medical advice from your doctor. I hope this helps at least get you started on the right path. CCF MD mdf.
Posted by Kayla on May 06, 1999 at 17:21:31

Wow!!  Thank you so much for answering me. I am not taking any medication.  Yes I saw my neurologist about a sort of related incident.  It was a little different.  I was in my car at a stop light, looking at the blinking turn signal of the car in front of me.  I felt all weird and my brain sort of felt like it did when I was little and was going to have a seizure.  I felt really scared and wanted to run out of my car.  Someone honked and I was able to catch myself.  My mom took me to my neurologist who then had me do an EEG and a blinking light test.  It was normal.  (My mom was really happy)  I was asked if I wanted to go back on Tegretol but that scared me so I said no.  
It made me think that feeling dizzy was another sign that I wasn't cured from the Epilepsy.  Could the hypoglycemia be because I don't have a spleen?  I have ITP and it got taken out a year ago yesterday.  My mom is taking me back to my neurologist tomorrow for a follow up visit.  Will she be able to tell if I have hypoglycemia?  Do I have to get a poke?  I am tired of having something wrong with me.
Thank you CCF MD mdf for answering me and I hope I haven't asked too many questions.
Sincerely, Kayla
Posted by CCF MD mdf on May 07, 1999 at 23:01:09
A neurologist has no particular expertise about hypoglycemia - it is better to get that information from your regular doctor, or in certain circumstances, an endocrinologist (try the general practitioner first).
Therefore, don't expect your neurologist to comment regarding hypoglycemia or to do any fancy tests for it.
Your spleen is not related to blood sugar regulation. You can get certain kinds of infections with no spleen, but again that is not within the realm of neurology.
I hope this helps. CCF MD mdf.
Posted by Pami on May 23, 1999 at 23:55:45

I had a dizzy spell one day doing my e-mail....it was a very power-ful one and at the end of it my right side of face got numb on me.  I went to Er and they did this test and that test.......sent me to my medical doctor who sent me to my neurologist.....who orders an MRI of brain.  It was what I felt from the very begining ......a stroke..... but lucky for me it was a mini-stroke.  I now take 2 aspirin every day.  I am almost 44 and  I also had 2 back surgeries....one in 1987 and latest one in 1996 with rods and screws.  I still get pain but it isn't as bad before the surgery but I know I will never be 100% again but my #1 problem now is the mini-strokes.
Pami
any comments........
e-mail me...
***@****

Posted by CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on May 30, 1999 at 14:36:37
Dear Pami:
Sorry that you had a stroke.  Fortunately though, it sounds like it was a minor stroke.  I hope that your controlling what precipitated the stroke.  Pain from your back surgeries is also a problem.  I wish there were simple answers and perfect medications to control back pain.  Hang in there.  
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Posted by Dennis for RPS or W6 on June 01, 1999 at 12:29:10
Dear CCF Neuro RPS,
I think it is great that you are still taking the time to answer people's questions while the forum is technically shut down. It says a lot about you.
Is ccf neuro W6 still around? I posted a follow up for him/her on 4/16/99 and 5/4/99 under Prolonged Distal Latencies and never got a reply. I would be very interested in hearing W6's or your thoughts if possible.
Again thanks for providing such a wonderful service.
Dennis
Posted by Lori T on June 04, 1999 at 11:33:30
Can a doctor please respond to my comment ----  please !!!!
I have been experiencing dizzy spells on and off for about 6 month. I have
been taking valium for severe stress (father is living with me and has
inoperable cancer, work is extremely stressful and not flexible, my
husband is not understandting .... and I have an 8 yr. old with a
learning disability who is now having psychological problems from
fear of death)... well sorry for the dumping.    I have only taken
the valium  on and off one a day to sleep not every day but maybe twice a
week.  I started experiencing this pressure in my head, the back of my head
and feel pressure in the back of my head and front on my face when laying
flat on my back.  I have TMJ but do not know if this is the cause.  Because
I also have pain in my head on the side and on the top it seems to
sort of move around.  My right eye started to get blurry within the
last 2 months.  Then within the last couple of days I started seeing
bright lights flickering when I look in the sunshine.  (For many years
I had the flickering light when I was under the flouresent lights and would
get a pinching in the right side of my head) Did an MRI (about 5 years
ago and nothing)  Now the flickering lights are when I look in the
sunshine.  Also I cannot focus reading.  Went to the eye doctor and
he said it is not my eyes it could be stress and the valium, it it
continues I need to explore other avenues.  Also I have tremors in my
hands and my legs are weak.  I would lay there at night and one side of
my body would feel like it went numb.  I also am dizzy and do feel allot of
pressure in my sinuses.  I am looking for a good neurologist in
Northern New Jersey and cannot seem to get a good recommendation.
I am terrified I have a  brain tumor or MS.  Can someone please please help
either write back with any information or recommend a neurologist
and neuro-optomologist in Northern New Jersey (Morristown).
Scared to death.
Thank you in advance
Lori
P.S.  Can this be from the valium and if so how long would this last ????

ht

Posted by Lori T on June 04, 1999 at 11:39:32
P.S.  I forget to mention my eyes feel like they are jumping, even
when I have them closed.
Thanks again
Lori

Posted by Lori  for RPS ----   Please on June 07, 1999 at 09:24:01
Dear CCF Neuro RPS:
Please see the above comments I have made I would really appreciate any
comments you may have.
Thank you in advance for any information or like you can shed.
Lori T.
Posted by CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on June 07, 1999 at 20:41:09
Dear Lori:
I answered most of your posting in a previous posting.  But to review, I think you need a complete neurological exam.  Without the benefit of a physical exam it is so difficult to give you an accurate diagnosis.  Most of you symptoms fit with an ocular or vision migraine.  But there are so many other diseases that could also fit your symptoms.  It doesn't help that you have so much stress going on, but I wouldn't let that easy diagnosis become your diagnosis without a complete work up.  There is not much that you can do about the stress, at least it doesn't sound like it.  Try and find a few moments for yourself each day.  Take a sort of mini-vacation from the stress.  I think this will help.
Your symptoms don't sound MS-like and although one can have a brain tumor with a headache, it doesn't sound like you have one.  Valium would not cause the symptoms your describing.  Please, see a good neurologist.  I really don't know of any in your area but you may try at a good medical center or teaching hospital.  Ask around and see where others have gone.  Call a neurology nurse and see what she would recommend.  I will ask around and see if anyone knows of anyone in the area.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro[P] MD

Posted by Lori T on June 09, 1999 at 09:22:36
Dear RPS,
Thank you for taking the time to write back to me.
I have since then gone through an MRI of the brain and
found nothing but a sinus infection.  I do not know if this
explains some of my symptoms, but I am still looking for a
good neurologist, they seem hard to come by.  I will write
back as soon as I have more info.  Once again thank you
for your time.
Lori T.
Posted by CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on June 12, 1999 at 13:26:33
Dear Lori:
You are welcome.
CCF Neuro[P] MD

My boyfriend has had seizures when he was little and his last one was in 2007 and he is having dizzy spells and no one knows what is causing them could anyone please help me inderstand