Neurology Expert Forum
Dizzy all day

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizzy all day

I am 27 years old and for about the last 5 months I have had feelings of dizziness for almost 90% of the day. On some days the
dizziness is pretty severe in that I get nauseaous and I don't want to walk too much because I feel that I am going to fall down. In addition to the dizziness I also have blurred vision on occasions and a dull ringing in my left ear that only lasts from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.  All of my symptoms, dizziness, nausea, ear ringing, seem to get worse when I have a headache. I don't have these headaches very often but they are very annoying.  I have had my blood pressure monitored and it is within normal range(116/68 to 130/80).  I have also had an ECG, MRI,and blood work done and all came back normal except for the blood test which showed that my red blood cell count was a little high(I was told 16.2 and I don't know what that means.). I don't smoke and I only drink on average 6 beers a month.  I haven't come down frome the mountains, which seems to be a popular question when talking about my RBC. I guess what I am wanting to know is if you have any suggestions on what might be going on.  I am going to a neurologist this week and whould like go in knowing what types of questions I might need to ask.

Sincerely,
Cory

Dear Cory:

Dizziness is a common complaint, but by no means a trival diagnosis.  The normal MRI is good and rules out alot of worrisome possibilities.  Some questions to ask the neurologist is if you have lost some hearing, so a hearning test would be a good thing.  The basic question is whether your dizziness is due to something peripheral (outside the brain, like cranal nerves) or inside the brain. A Hillpike-Dix test will also give a good indication if your lesion is central or peripheral. The MRI would lend me to believe that it is outside the brain.  The next thing to address is whether you might have Meniere's syndrome or disease. The history is not very convincing for this entity though. The hearing test will come in handy on this.  This might also help in defining if there is a vestibular problem.  Did they do an MRA along with the MRI?  It might be good to know if all the vascular entities are normal.  If your dizziness is related to a central syncope or not will probably be discussed. A basic panel of blood test will likely be performed to see if there is another source, like a vasculitis or something could be undermining your vestibular system.

Depending on the results of the above, your neurologist will likely purse the likely causes.  I hope I have helped.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
To CCF Neuro:  What is Meniere's syndrom (syndrome)?
I am 35 years old and have had a lightheaded/dizzy feeling for the last several years.  It is basically a constant feeling.  I have had all sorts of test (test at a balance disorder clinic, MRI,glucose,some vien in my neck). All came back find.  The glucose test I took came back as borderline hypoglycemic (fell to 60 in the third hour of a five hour test).  Eating does help, but does not eliminate the lightheaded feeling.  The only thing it had done is make me gain weight.  At this point I am not sure what else to do.  The nero guy I saw said it would probably go away and that he knew people who has similar symptoms and went away after time.

I have had this for a good 2 1/2 years.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. It really concerns me when Doctors have no diagnosis and I feel all alone on this.

Kevin
Dear Kevin:

I am not sure what to tell you.  There are many reasons for lightheadiness and also for vertigo.  I am not sure what you have.  But, I think you should visit another neurologist.  Take all your records, films, and plenty of questions.  But, there are times when we just don't know what is the cause.  Hopefully, this will not be the final decision in your case.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
cory--i too have vertigo 24/7.  have had it since october of 98-- as you know, it's incredibly debilitating.  i've had an mri, ct, tons of bloodwork tests-- all very **expensive** and time consuming, all of which came back normal. when this first began, i had an ENG test done (for vestibular problems) and that too came back dandy.  i recently found a balance disorders clinic nearby and had the ENG test done a second time and a posturography (platfom) test done- now this doc thinks it might be vestibular, but isn't positive.  i'm having a BAER test done next week to determine if my inner ear is discharging (parasympathetic nervous system-wise) anything.  my wallet can't take much more of this!  (nor can my mental state!!)  i've also tried a homeopathic remedy called vertigoheel which i didn't give a fair trial and may try again.  there's also this drug called SERC, a betahistine (not available in US), and some anti-seizure meds and benzodiaphenes (ativan helped me for a little while) may hold promise as vestibular suppresants. i'm presently taking neurontin and will see if that helps.  
through this battle, i've learned that some doctors lack ears.  they take the dough, but don't take the time.
let me know if you find it's vestibular and if you found any treatments that work.  take care--
dawn
***@****
Do you suffer from Asthma,Rhinitis or Sinusitis? Many people complain of dizzyness around winter time because the cold dry air, irritates the air passages and causes them to swell putting pressure on the inner ear.

Sometimes being dizzy can be associated with people who suffer from sinus problems. The sinuses cannot drain and start to swell causing headaches and pressure against the inner ear, making you feel dizzy all the time. I had the same exact syptoms (symptoms) as Cory along with muscle twiches and it turned out to be Sinusitis.
I also had all the tests done which came out normal.
Now Im on anti biotics, and take a nasal decongestant to alleviate some of the dizzyness.
My two cents:)
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
I have been doctoring for over a year and a half.  My first complaint was dizziness, then fatigue, confusion, near syncope,syncope w/o warning, to name the major complaints (ringing in my ears, but I seem to have had that forever). My neurologist ran many tests and it seems my heart was a big part of it.  He and the cardio. do not believe the syncope w/o warning is related, however (I haven't fainted in 11 mos).  Now, my neurologist wants to see me because I still have problems with dizziness. I don't really want to go, because after a year and a half of dr'ing and tests...but on occasion I do lose my balance slightly (not really from dizziness) Then there's the "wave" feeling in my head that feels like it is going to knock me over when it reaches the other side.  Have you ever heard of such a thing?  Do you think I should follow through with another visit and more tests?  It doesn't occur often.
Thank you
I have been suffering from lightheadedness for about four years.  I have never actually fainted, but have often felt as though I was going to.  I am usually able to shake myself out of that feeling.  Let me tell you, though, it is terrifying when that happens while I am driving and absolutely unnerving when I feel that way in front of a large crowd.  For a while I had been diagnosed with panic attacks and anxiety disorders, and that's still not ruled out.  However, I have also been diagnosed recently with both rhinitis and sinusitis.  Both are bad cases, the latter revealed in my last CT scan.  I am very congested, and  I don't doubt that there's a connection.
I have experienced Horners Syndrome twice with epidural deliveries.  After the first time I was told it was very rare and would not happen again.  During my second delivery w/epidural I again had the same experience.  I am now 32 weeks pregnant with my third child and am wondering if I should be concerned about this happening a third time and is there any chance of something worse, than the constricted pupil, drooping eyelid and numbness that go away, happening?
I fianlly was able to get into an ENT and he told me that I have Meneire's Disease and positional vertigo.  I was given about 5 different types of medication but none of them seem to be working.  I feel as though my symptoms are getting worse because the really bad dizzy spells that I have several times a day are giving me the funny feeling that I am going to pass out.  I haven't yet, but I feel that day is coming very soon unless something is discovered. My eyes are still blurring up at times and my headaches are becoming more often and at times more intense. I am scheduled to see a top notch neurologist in the Dallas, Texas area(this is where I live)on Jan. 21.  For those interested I will keep you informed as I find out more information.
I believe that there is a virus (likely the Gulf War Syndrome) which causes a range of flulike symptoms over time.  I found that  several series of doxycycline antibiotic helped immensely.  Strongest symptoms were dizziness, vertigo, nasal congestion, headaches, eye/light sensitivity, and chest tightness -- like a taut rubberband.  No symptoms seem to occur simultaneously, but consecutively instead.  I hope this is of some true help.
thanks for your thoughts.

CCF Neuro MD
Would elevated IgM protein explain long-standing nerve problems (numbness,tingling,heaviness in legs and arms)?
I have been dealing with the Cleveland Clinic neurology department for about 2 yrs. now. I also want you to know I'm a 31 yr. old female that never had any trouble until I gave birth. Even though my case has been very disturbing to me,and probably my doctors, I have been very satisfied with the care I have received. Especially by Dr. John Oas. I just wanted to say THANK-YOU!!!!!
                          Sincerely,
                               Sandra O'Neill
thanks for the comment.  I will tell Dr. Oas.

CCF Neuro MD
for Jan on tues dec 28.  I have a sensation that I have described to my neurologist of dizziness and a wave in my head that feels like it is going to knock me over. Can you e-mail me at mtshaw.execulink.com ? Thanks
hope you got in touch.

CCF Neuro MD
I am 26 yr old female who has been dizzy for the past 2 years.   Started the day I delivered my first and only child.  I have CONSTANT LIGHTHEADED feeling, NECK PAIN, and FREAQUENT HEADACHES.
Feels like I am SWAYING.  I had normal delivery and had an epidural, which I think may have had something to do with this ANNOYING SYMPTOM.   I have had an MRI of BRAIN & C-Spine, CT of Brain & Sinuses.  Chest x-rays, blood work, and I've Seen at least 20 different DOCTORS for this problem.   The Chiropractor is the only place I have received some improvements!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE HELP with any INFO!!
i was diagnosed with arnold chiari malformation last august.  the debilitating vertigo is fairly well controlled with valium but the headaches and spasms in the back of my head are not.  i am awaiting a decision on disability and am feeling very discouraged about my future .  i was 39 when diagnosed.  any ideas of what the future may hold.
I've been feeling lightheaded for as long as I can remember.I    suffer from chronic anxiety and slightly elevated blood pressure.Naturally,I figured it was one of these things which was causing this feeling.With medication [zestril 5mg.] my blood pressure is within normal limits and about 1 month ago I started taking Zoloft 150mg. which has helped my anxiety very much.This constant dizziness which varies throughout the day in severity   continues to be a real problem.Due to this problem I find it hard to concentrate or visually focus on anything.I'M 32 years old in otherwise good health.I really must do something at this point,I hope someone can give me some info on the best way to go about it.Please post a response or E-mail me directly at ***@**** you!
Dear Frank:

I would recommend that you see a neurologist.  Dizziness can arise from alot of etiologies.  First, you need to know if it is from a systemic problem or localized to the auditory system.  Then you need to find out if the problems is peripheral or central (involving the cranial nerve and it's route to the ear, or a lesion in the brain itself).  There are many tests to do when one doesn't have a neurological exam to begin to define what may be inducing the dizziness.  Get a good check up at a neurologists office.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I had the exact same symptoms, extreme dizziness, (sometimes lasting for a week with no
    breaks), feeling of the floor rolling, etc... After the usual MRI (MS scare), inner ear checks
    and so forth, a wonderful ENT diagnosed me with atypical migraines! With a regular
    migraine, the blood vessels expand. In the atypical variety, the blood vessels contract,
    cutting the flow off to the brain, hence the dizziness. He prescribed a beta blocker. It's the
    same drug doctors give to high blood pressure patients. It expands the blood vessels,
    increasing the blood flow. Haven't had dizziness since.
Thanks for the comments.

CCF Neuro MD
I am reading these notes about dizziness and feel I should share my experience with others. I have been dizzy for several years, it was very severe at the times, I would wake up in the middle of the night throwing up. I spent 7 days in the hospital, having MRI done, all kind of test with no findings. I was beeing send to specialists, ent, neurologist with no help. Finally somebody advised me to see chiropractor- believe it or not, he was the one who helped me. It was a pinched nerve in my neck. To build my muscles stronger, I started a little weight lifting.
Somethin to consider. We all now slave over the computers..
My name is Sandy and I'm from France. I am 28 years old and I've been having vertigo and nausea for four months now. I also have episodes of high blood pressure (145/95), which is very unusual for me, since I have always had the opposite problem (very low blood pressure). I had a caloric test done, which revealed a deficit in my right inner ear.
I'd like someone to help me understand:
1) the difference between dizziness and vertigo
2) what the results of my caloric test exactly mean. The doctor flushed my ear with cold water, then measured the movement of my eyes. With my left ear he could count 110, while with my right one he counted 75. Is this a serious difference?
3) will I ever feel better? I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible, but life is now difficult in many ways!
Thank you so much for helping me,
Mathilde
A related discussion, Dizzyness was started.
A related discussion, Dizzy with neck exercises was started.
A related discussion, dizziness was started.
A related discussion, Dizzy for 16 months was started.
A related discussion, plzzz quick answer was started.
A related discussion, Constant Vertigo 24/7 was started.
Hi there, I am a 21 year old girl, who very rarely needed to visit the doctor until this year. A year ago I took a really bad dizzy attack and from then I've been dizzy basically every day. When the dizzyness happened my blood results said my viral count was higher, its normal now and at the time the doctor said a viral infection caused the dizziness and attacked my inner ear.

From then I've had ECG, heart monitor for 2 days,  blood tests and 2 MRI scans.

Everything was normal. My second MRI scan done on a more powerful scanner showed non specific lesions. A neuroligist then compared both scans and are happy that they are both similar and are not relevant or significant, and only of a coinsidental finding.

I also have had inner ear tests done in the audiology department. The first tests showed a significant inner ear imbalance. However the 2nd one showed that there was an insignifant difference in the imbalance.

I'm so fed up and really am looking advise as to what else this could be. The whole situation has made me extremely anxious and the past few weeks I have had tingling in one hand and sore limbs, however because there is nothing to suggest MS I feel that perhaps my anxiety is bringing other symptoms on. Its hard to ignore the dizziness and it effects me every day. Please help!

Thank-you zoe