Neurology Expert Forum
Dizzyness and other Symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dizzyness and other Symptoms

I am a 31 year old male, 6
Dear Mike:

I am not sure I can help.  Feelings of light headediness, disequilbrium, and ear popping are sort of non-specific.  The most worrisome things would have been detected by MRI, CT, and blood tests.  There are a couple of things that you might look into, such as seeing a nystagmus/inner ear/equilibrium expert.  These individuals are few and far between, there is one in Boston, one here at the Cleveland Clinic and one in Los Angeles that I know of.  There may be a subtle dysfunction in the inner ear that by special testing one can pick up.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I am a 32 year old female with exactly those symtoms (symptoms).  The worse being the floor moving thing like its spongey and wavey.  I have never found anyone else with the same problem!  I have had it for about two years and my doctor is sending me for an MRI scan (suspecting MS)Mine comes in bouts that last about two weeks then subside, but the time in between is becoming less.
Interesting topic, I dont have quite those symptoms, although at times I get dizzy, not spinning sensation though, one thing I find extremely odd, when I get on an Elevator, even if it just goes up a few floors, when I get off, I feel very unstable and like my body is still going up!  It takes about 2 minutes for this to subside, any ideas on this?  Ear problem? had normal MRI with Gadolinuim <-SP?
sorry to interupt this thread with my questions, visiting a neurologist today due to what my GP thought was 2nd attact of viral labyrinthitis in past 9 months. Symtoms (symptoms) are now at about 3 weeks...besides the dizzyness and balance problems that I am getting used to, I have aphasia and head pressure. seems like something is wrong with my head. I went to ENT yesterday and she called a neurologist to make me appt. The neuro told her that I must have MRI and she wouldn't see me without one. I know I'm sick and not thinking right but due to high ins deductable, I would prefer just neuro exam THEN, if they think MRI, well, ok.
This pressure with slight headache and not being able to use the right words..seems to me is a result of being dizzy for 3 weeks and it's making me nuts, like stress.
I am extremely busy business owner and these symtoms (symptoms) are causing me not to be able to work(I don't have time to be sick!)
Again, sorry for butting into the above thread.
also right hand has lost fine motor skills. virus related too?
I have had much the same symptoms for almost two years (and a few other symptoms such as tremors)and gone through the usual work up.  I finally went to the Mayo Clinic.  While the neurologist thought the problem was peripheral (despite the negative ENG) and the ENT thought it was central and I have no firm diagnosis, the ENT provided what I thought was some pretty useful information.  He said they see 25-30 people a week like "us", i.e., dizziness and balance problems with no clear cause, and that they don't know what the cause is but they believe it to be a CNS problem.  He said most people improve although most improvement is seen in the first two years but some people continue to improve for up to 4 years.  People in their 30s and 40s are most likely to see improvement.  He said approximately 50% of "us" are helped by vestibular rehab.  (He was also the first doctor to acknowledge that it can be pretty miserable.)  I have been working hard at vestibular rehab and my balance has improved a fair amount and my dizziness is somewhat improved.  Hope this helps.
WHAT IS A VASCULAR LOOP AND THE SIMPTOMS, PLUS WHAT IS THE
CURE.
I HAVE BEEN TOLD I HAVE ONE AND IT IS ON THE EIGTH CRANIAL NERVE.
I EXPERIENCE DIZZINESS, TINNITUS ON THAT SIDE OF MY HEAD.
To CCF Neuro MD

Thank you very much for the information.
I am trying to gather as much info as I can before I go to an equilibrium expert.

I still wonder about my other symptoms possibly being that of an overactive sympathetic system and perhaps the dizzyness is attributed to that also?? Any comment on this theory??

thanks
Mike

I was dx with the ebv and later chronic fatigue syndrome. It has been 12 yrs with symptoms of nausea, dizziness, pain in the back of my neck,no sleep and headaches > The chiropracters say I have chronic occiput something or another. Other Physicians say its due to the chronic fatigue. I had another horrible spell of this and had an MRI done,they found- a 7.0 x 3.5 x 4.0 cm sharply circumscribed mass located along the dorsal surface of the cerebellum which has a signal intensity= to cerebral spinal fluid on all sequences. This is combatible with an arachnoid cyst.  To me this seems to be something that needs to be addressed. My neurologist blew it off. I have not been able to work for 8 yrs,have no social life,am 37 and live with my parents. Im so limited because this seems to flair whenever it wants to. I have always felt this has had something to do with my central nervous system, can you reccommend some test that are very thourough. Im so tired of being drugged out with meds for pain and nausea. Ive gone without for years but its getting to be too much again.
I had the exact same symptoms, extreme dizziness, (sometimes lasting for a week with no breaks), feeling of the floor rolling, etc...  After the usual MRI (MS scare), inner ear checks and so forth, a wonderful ENT diagnosed me with atypical migraines!  With a regular migraine, the blood vessels expand.  In the atypical variety, the blood vessels contract, cutting the flow off to the brain, hence the dizziness.  He prescribed a beta blocker.  It's the same drug doctors give to high blood pressure patients.  It expands the blood vessels, increasing the blood flow.  Haven't had dizziness since.
thanks for the comments.

CCF Neuro MD
i have been dizzy for years and now much worse. most of the dizziness is at night and morning. my problem is i can not lay down or lean my head up. i sleep only 3 hours a night and sit up. sometimes walking is like i have been drinking and i don't drink. when starting to lay back the episode is so awful i have to jump right back up it scares me so bad. i feel like an astonaut spinning in one of those tests they do. i am waiting on a eeg report and baer test. almost at the point og giving up i have not had decent sleep since feb. 3 do not want to bring anyone down but i am so scared some times i do not want to knowdoes anyone else have problems lying back?   thanks
I recently had a baby 3 months ago and i have had dizziness since i was 17 years old and am now 32,the problem is not so much that the dizziness worries me like it use to but i've been experiencing since the birth of my baby sharp pains in my head all the time and it is worrying,i have not seen a doctor yet.The pains are not in one particular spot but all over my head.Does anyone else have this problem?
Dear Sharon:

Just to be on the safe side I would visit with your family physician.

CCF Neuro MD
Mike,

I have had similar symptoms for about 6 months now.  My doctor found that I had a B-12 deficiency and started me on shots of B-12.  That was three months ago and my symptoms have only worsened since then.

My symptoms are burning legs and arms.  Weak legs and arms and heavy chest-difficulty breathing and extreme fatigue with dizziness when I walk.  My shoulders and chest feel as if they are being pushed down all the time-same as your description of a sinking feeling.  I have had a MRI, tested for thyroid problems, etc.  Nothing has come up except the B-12 deficiency.  Otherwise I am a 30 year old female in good shape-I exercise and do not drink or smoke.  Why would my symptoms be getting worse?

I do see my doctor every 1 1/2 weeks to do a follow up.  He started me on Nortriptyline also.  But so far nothing has helped and after 6 months I fear nothing will.  
MY MOTHER HAS BEEN TO MULTIPLE DOCTORS FOR HER DIZZINESS
AND NO ONE CAN HELP HER. SHE HAS SEEN 2 NEUROLOGIST,
A CARDIOLOGIST, AN ENT SPECIALIST, A CHIROPRACTOR, AN
ENDOCRINOLOGY, AN OPTHAMOLOGIST AND HER FAMILY MD. NO ONE
CAN TELL US WHY MY MOTHER IS DIZZY. SHE HAS HAD MULTIPLE
TESTING INCLUDING A CT SCAN AND AN MRI. sHE HAS HAD THE BALANCE
TEST, X-RAYS OF THE SPINE AND MANY LAB STUDIES.  EVEN AS I
WRITE THIS, WE AWAIT THE RESULTS OF A CARBON MONOXIDE LEVEL.
THE DOCTORS INSIST THAT IT IS NOT HER CARDIAC MEDS. IT IS
NOT THE LOPRESSOR.  IT IS NOT THE LIPATUR,  IT IS NOT THE
PLENDIL.  IT IS NOT HER BLOOD SUGAR. IT GOES ON AND ON.
EVERYONE IS VERY GOOD AT SAYING WHAT IT IS NOT AND NO ONE
CAN TELL US WHAT CAUSES THE DIZZINESS.
   I AM SO GLAD THAT I FOUND THIS SITE AND WILL TELL MY MOTHER
THAT THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH DIZZINESS.
THE LATEST NEUROLOGIST HAS MY MOTHER ON NORTRPTYLINE AND
IT HAS NOT HELPED--ACTUALLY SHE IS EVEN MORE DIZZY NOW.
OH, THE FAMILY DOCTOR IS GIVING THE B-12 SHOTS --NO HELP.
THE STRANGE THING ABOUT MY MOTHER'S DIZZINESS IS THAT IT
USUALLY LEAVES HER ABOUT 6PM OR 7 PM BUT THEY RETURNS THE
NEXT MORNING.  I SPEND HOURS ON THE INTERNET LOOKING FOR
AN ANSWER.  I FEEL SO HELPLESS.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
NEXT.

THANKS FOR LISTENING.  
PLEASE go to Carbon Monoxide Headquarters on the Internet.  Dr. David G. Penney from Wayne State University is a carbon monoxide expert.   My husband & I had all your symptoms and more FOR OVER 4 LONG SUFFERING YEARS, misdiagnosed over & over again.  We spent thousands of $ on ER's/Drs/Tests ALL TESTS NEGATIVE!!  Finally, when we were both so sick we couldn't take it anymore, a doctor suspected Chronic CO poisoning.  GUESS WHAT!!!  That's exactly what it was.  Our chimney was 99% blocked and we were slowly being poisoned to death.  Feverish feeling, night sweats, throbbing headaches, stopped exercising too many aches & pains, difficulty speaking, tight muscles, neck hot & burning feeling, nauseaus, frequent urination, diarreah (diarrhea) & constipation.  I could go on & on.  We are left with Fibromylagia (fibromyalgia), arthritis, joint, muscle & nerve problems, fatigue.  This was disgusting, and all it took was a simple $45.00 blood test to find out!!!!

CHECK OUT THE "CHRONIC" SECTION OF CO HEADQUARTERS VERY, VERY CAREFULLY.
DeeDee; I was diagnosed with an arachnoid cyst. It is about 5cm in diameter. I have very similar symtoms (symptoms). I have no energy, I get dizzy, lightheaded, faint, see floaters (dots in front of my eyes) most of the time, pressure headaches that come and go during the day, equilibrium difficulties, difficulty with my speach (minor), depression, also I am sensetive to light. Earlier this week I woke up to find my face was drawn up on the right side. I have an apt to see a NeuroSurgeon in the morning.
Have you discussed a tilt test with your doctor.  This test can determine if you have sincopy or is often used to diagnose Chronic Fatigue.  I had a major dizziness problem with fainting accompanied by nausea. I saw an cardiac specialist who did this test and put me on a medication that helps called florinef.  Just another avenue to explore.
My Daughter just went through a bought with many of the symptoms mentioned above.  Dizziness, balance problems, vision problems, breathing problems, adrenalin rush, rapid heart rate, chest pains, etc.  She had a cat scan, MRI, test for MS, opthamologist, ENT specialist and Neurologist.  Dx.  Anxiety Disorder/ Panic attacks.  When you can't find a cause for these symptoms, Anxiety disorder can account for all of them.

Hope this helps.

Chet
thanks for the comments.

CCF Neuro MD
My four year son has suddenly developed symptoms that are very scary.  He attends preschool, and while he is coloring or doing crafts he suddenly bends forward over the table, turns very, very pale, sweats so much that his clothes are wet and has very loud gagging and coughing sounds. These usually last about an hour and the symptoms are the same each time. He is fine the rest of the day, though unusally tired.  He has had 5 of these episodes in the last 2 weeks - been to 3 doctors - not sure if he should see a gastronologist or a neurologist - he had a bad episode yesterday and my doctor sent him to a neurologist who has scheduled a brain/ct, eeg & ekg in May - these symptoms occur about 3 days apart and in between he is fine.  Does anyone have any information on abdominal migraines or abdominal eplipesy?  Over the past year and half, he has also had trouble with his right leg suddenly giving way and hurting - lasting from 1-3 days - he is unable to walk when this happens - a specialist suggested that he might have Legg Perthes disease, but now with these new symptoms I am not so sure - Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - Thank you.
It's nice to see that I'm not alone with dizziness. I have gone through tons of tests myself. Blood, balance, cardio tests and an MRI. The neurologist said I have a cyst but that is not something typically operated on and that many people go one to live a happy healthy life and he does not see it as the source of my dizziness. I have since moved and lost touch with the doctor and believe he would have made and effort to keep in touch if it was important, or at least refer to someone. Wouldn't he? So I finally went to an ear nose and throut specialist and he said that is is Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Apparenantly a piece of protein or material is in my inner ear and when it touches the senses it disturbs them. I think he said that sometime is even sticks and that's what causes the problem. I too experience a weird floor movement after leaving an elevator and it seems to get worse with fatigue. I have been told to do this special exercises for my head to recondition it to get used to the particle and it seems to help. As well, when I was focusing so much on the dizziness it seems to get worse. So try not to think about it, and instead of maintaining head position, for feel of feeling uncomfortable, move it around and hold it in the position you find most uncomfortable. That's what I haev to do, but I want to know if this is actually a condition, or if this brain cyst is something related or something to worry about. Please help someone!!
Dear Charlotte:

I do not think that your son's femoral head problem is related to the events you describe.  Your son might have abdominal migraines or cyclic vomiting episodes.  These can be very scary for those watching the event.  Is there a history of migraines in the family?  If the EEG is normal, the MRI normal, then this might be the entity.  This would be especially true if there is a history of migraines in the family.  A trial of periactin might be of benefit if this is the diagnosis.  

CCF Neuro MD
I have had a feeling of dizziness, lightheadedness for close on 4 months now.  The dizziness does not go away everything is moving even when I am lying down or tyring to sleep.  It is worse when I drink alcohol as I get this buzzing sound in my ears.  I cannot concentrate properly and find that I am getting very anxious about it.  I have been to my regular GP five times, and two other GP's twice, in total 7 times.  I have been given Maxalon, Stemetil, but neither help.  I have also been given antibiotics given that they thought I had a middle ear infection.  I have had all the hearing tests etc and then was finally sent to a BPPV specialist, thinking that I had a protein build up in the ear canals.  This did not work.  I have since had a CT scan which proved negative or inconclusive. I was then referred to an ENT who ordered an MRI scan, the results of which I am getting today.  He thinks I may have a benign cyst on my brainstem.  Can someone help?
I've been lightheaded for the last 8 months.  I had a cold for a few days and then a ringing mainly in my right ear developed.  I've had blood tests, sinus x-rays, ENG test, EEG test, audiology, MRI, CT scan, and I'm told that I am healthy and that maybe a virus is to blame, that it "should" just go away by itself.  There is no dizzyness, no loss of balance, no spinning, although in the beginning there was some nystagmus.  I just have a lightheaded feeling that makes it difficult to concentrate sometimes, a righting in my ear that I only hear when it's quiet, some loss of energy.  It is definitely worse after drinking alcohol, my audiologist says this is no surprise since alcohol affects the inner ear directly and that it would exacerbate a problem.

Does anyone else have this specific type of problem?  Most issues sound more like spinning and dizziness...they have names for those problems, what is my problem?

Yes, I to have bad speels of dizzy feeling and feeling of light headed, even when I am in bed with my eyes open, or walking. I am a 26 year old man, and suffered depression for 14 years now. The medication did not make me feel dizzy at all. So that is not what causing these dizzy feelings.

Personal, I think its down to stress,worry. May cause people to feel dizzy. I'm no doctor at all. Or it could be some sort of lack of suggar in the body, or even when you are very tied you may feel it.

Mind comes and goes as it please's but I'm getting very tied of it all now. I had my blood prsure taken, which came up well, and had my ears checked no problems there.

It's gets worse when doing things and when in bed, and its sudden attacks hit really had  sometimes. So I do you how you all feel.

All the best from simon in England.

All the best from simon in England.

All the best from simon in England.
Hello
i experience dizzyness and lighthead a couple times throughout the day. I also get this wierd feeling the best way to describe it as overwhelming. I'm only 15 yrs about 5'7'' and 137lbs. I eat ok and excersize, could it be from drinking diet soda with caffine in it? I've heard of that before? or is it something more cerious?
I am in the process of searching once again via the net in response to a question I have concerning my health. I have dizziness on and off all the time. I am constantly walking around with seemingly "pressure" of some sort on my head especially when I bend down or exercise.

I am sick to my stomach and have speech difficulty here lately...alot of mispronounced words. I have muscle tremors, headaches, eye floaters and my head even tingles quite a bit along with the rest of my body.

...docs don't know although I have only had a thyroid test...please SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS COULD BE...THE SYMPTOMS ARE EVER CHANGING AND NEVER ENDING!!!
i have had sinking, dizzy feelings for 2 years now. i have been through a range of tests...all showing no disease or disorder. I have a range of other symptoms. Anyone with symptoms feel free to e-mail ***@****.

I HAVE A RANGE OF VISUAL DISTURBANCES TOO
Thanks!
i also get weird dizzy off balance feeling that last only  a few seconds. the weirdest part is that if i am reading a book or watching tv and happen to unconsciously swing my feet from side to side i will suddenly feel offbalance and dizzy again, only for a few seconds.i really dont feel the room spinning or anything , just that i am off balance. it also happens when i have been reading for a while or have been looking at the computer screen for a while.
anybody else feel this way?
Okay i dont knwo if this really deals with the dizziness of feelins like iam moving around mine is more based on a disoriented type feeling,to where nothing moves but it all feels unreal and it comes so strong that it sometimes dosent go away i have to close my eyes.Ive had alot of problems with my ears as a child and about  9 months ago i had ALOT of ear wax on my eardrums.And it seemed to stop when i got the irrigated.Well about two days later it came back and as i write this i just had an episode its horribly awful and scary its as if everythings unreal and my surroundings are just going wack.This happens when iam laying in bed walking running anytime it justhappens when it wants too happen and i cant stop it it dont make me feel like iam about to fall it makes me feel like everything around me is like not there or something a feeling of disorientation iam sorry if this dont make much sense but i dont know hwo to explain it and iam kinda in need of help.
when  ever  someone  tells  me  there  friend  or  parent
     is  sick  with  a  sore  throut  or  flu  or  

I  always  end  up  with  that  a  week  after  or  a  few  days  after  they  have  said  that    why  me
i have a constant feeling of lightheadedness, unbalance, etc.  i had a sinus infection in august and was out of work due to my dizziness.  it has now turned to lightheadedness.  i have been to an ent and just yesterday a neurologist.  my sinus series, balance testing, cranial nerve tests, ekg, audiogram, complete blood work, anemia and thyroid, complete eye tests have all come out negative.  i have an mri scheduled for next friday, but the neurologist does not think i have a brain tumor.  

i have been on decongestants, antihistamines, antibiotics, etc.  i feel like i'm moving constantly, not the world around me.  i was told by my neuro to stop my claritan and see where i am.  i had a steroid (kenalog) shot the other day, but can't tell a difference.  sometimes it's supposed to help, so they say.  i have had to cut my hours at work to part-time, i am a business analyst working on a computer all day, which of course doesn't help my issue.  i'm not so much naseaus anymore.  my eyes do tend to get blurry at times, but i think that's due to my constant lightheadedness and having to work harder at seeing things.  sleep is my only time of normalcy.  i am not lightheaded in my sleep.  

the neuro said there could be a microscopic particle in my vestibular (inner ear) that could be causing this.  my question is, how the heck can i get it out?  or how does it just go away?  and how long?

can anyone shed some insight?  much appreciated, and great to know there are others out there.  peace.
My daughter has experienced vertigo and other neuro symptoms lately. age 16. MRI shows a "cerebellar tonsilar ectopia of 5mm below the basion-opisthion". No other abnormalities. Things I read show this is a new neuro-discovery to most in the feild due to the invention of the MRI. Don't know what to do about it yet, a big variety of opinion and psuedo-fact. Finding some on the internet, but it is hard to be unbias in the sifting through and I am not very adept at looking. I'll probably never find this again once I push submit.

Stacey ;Aged 21
It has been interesting for me to hear that other people have, or have been experienceing simular problems to me with dizzyness attacks. When you seem to be back and forth to the docyors, you feel as though they think your making it up,because they can't seem to find anything obvious.
   I was on holiday 6 months ago when i first started getting my simptoms. So i put it down to too much sun.Then i still had the simptons when arriving home from holiday. I went straight to my doctors and he said it was an inner ear infection.So i went off with tablets to control the somptons, but found they made worse.The feeling of the floor moving is what i couldn't handle.I left it a week and went back to the doc. He then put it down to anxiety and gave me more tablets, but these were to calm me down. The funny thing is that the only thing that was stressing me out weas these simptoms i was waking up with every morning and having to just to up with. I then paid to see 2 neuroligsts and they did several tests on me and found nothing wrong.I had an MRI scan 2 months ago and got the all clear from that.And then finally just a normal exray on my neck.
   I then found the problem! It proved i hagve a curviture in my neck which has been causing me these simptoms of dizzyness,hot sweats,nausious, and panic attacks. I am yet to start Physio this week and determind to beat this horrible illness that has put my life on hold for months.
If anyone would like to e-mail me for a chat: ***@****

Stacey ;Aged 21
I have had some "spells" this year with some dizzyness, breaking out into a cold sweat when the dizzyness happens when I start exercising and an off balance feeling.  Eight days ago I woke up dizzy and have been dizzy ever since and problems keeping my balance, especially if I close my eyes.  I am finding it very difficult to exercise now and difficult to concentrate on reading as I seem to be experiencing problems with my eyesight.  I also feel as if something is pressing the top of my head down and it takes a bit of concentration to continue walking when all I want to do is sink to the floor.  Had a CT today and fly to Anchorage on Wednesday for an appt. with a neurologist and an MRI.  Noel on 3/22 said the Mayo Clinic neurologist believed his problem to be a CNS problem.  What is CNS and what is vestibular rehab?  Can anyone explain.  My blood tests were okay and my blood pressure is very good.  Could Ma Haung ingredients in some pills be the cause?  Anyone else had problems with ephedrine?  Don't know whether to mention this to doctor or not.