Neurology Expert Forum
Déjà vu

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Déjà vu

Hello, I just have a quick question. I've been experiencing déjà vu alot lately and it's kind of creeping me out. I do have panic disorder so can that affect it as well? I don't know what else I should tell you. If you need any information I will give it to you. Thanks!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Déjà vu is the sense of already have experienced or seen an event that is happening for the first time. This phenomenon is a common occurrence in many “normal” people especially in states of fatigue or intoxication. However, it is also seen in people with disorders such as seizures, particularly those seizures arising from the part of the brain called the temporal lobe, and also in persons with underlying psychiatric disorders such as anxiety or depression.

I recommend that you follow up with your physician regarding these episodes of déjà vu. If you have other findings such as numbness/tingling traveling through the body, abnormal behaviors such as lipsmacking, or loss of consciousness, you should probably see a neurologist for a seizure workup that may include blood tests to evaluate your chemistry and also an EEG to evaluate the electrical activity of your brain. He/she may then want to obtain an MRI of the brain to rule out structural causes of your symptoms. However, given that you have a history of panic disorder, the déjà vu may be related to your underlying psychiatric disorders and a follow up with a psychiatrist would be recommended.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.