Neurology Community
Does a coma patient have brain activity

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Does a coma patient have brain activity

My husband went in to the hospital for a simple out patient surgery.  He lost oxygen, the doctor says anywhere from six to 15 minutes.  He opened his eyes the first day and started having sever seizures.  they treated him for a week to stop the seizures. They put him on Phenobarbital and the seizures ceased but he went into a coma and hasnt woke up yet, it's been 7 days he has been in the coma.  The doctors say there is no brain activity and he will be in a vegitative state for the rest of his life.  He is the love of my life.  I feel I should get a second opinion.
My mom went without oxygen for about the same length of time and it looked as if she was having seizures but CT scan didn't show seizures. They told me the same thing about my mom being brain dead when she still has small activity. The brain cuts off and on; so I would get a second opinion and it also (brain) has plasticity. One side damaged the other compensates. Ask for more test; but continue to pray and remain hopeful. God has the last say. He gives life and takes it away. No doctor has the right to say its over. People come out of comas all the time.
my mom is on day 7 of coma after a severe hemorrhagic stroke. she does not respond but only to pain, and does not like to have her nose touched. Doctors say her brain activity is 4-5 Hz, the norm is 8-9 they say. she is on a ventilator but is doing most of the breathing on her own. they also say there is nothing modern day medicine can do for her anymore. my mom just turned 55 this May,2012, she was a full of life, energetic woman before this stroke. We are being hopeful very faithful to God and her recovery. Has anyone gone through a very similar situation?
Yes I know a little boy who is eight years old his birthday is this tuesday. He went without oxygen for 15 to 20 minutes. He's in a coma it's his 3rd day since thursday. he could hear but no movement doctors say he has a lil activity in his brain. He had the biggest heart always smiling. I believe in miracles. I have faith he's going to wake up from this. Yes doctors don't know they prepare you for the worst. God has the final say. Pray for mali