Neurology Community
Does anyone know what a low B12 level would be???

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello-

I have peripheral neuropathy...with no known cause.  However, I was hopeful last week when I saw a differnt primary cared doc that suggest my last B12 level seemed low to her.  It was at 324.  She ran it again and it is at 227.  Can this be the cause???  It would be the answer to so much for me.  This has been a long 6 months.  Any answer would truly help.

Thanks!
Hi Angie, two years ago I had this problem due to to folic acid deficiency, I had peripheral neuropathy.
The initial problem was in the diagnosing. I had all the symptoms of anaemia but my haemoglobin resuts were all good. I was recieving B12 injections but not getting any better. Once it was investigated and found my folic stores were very low, it was a simple answer to take folic acid supplements. I took these for 9 months and felt better with in weeks. It took a little over the year for the neuropathy to clear up completly and now I still take supplements, one month on, one month off.
Hope this helps. Cath278.
Thank you!  Yes it does help.  My folic acid is at a 15 though and not considered low.  My doc said that she might give me a B12 shot to see if it helps, maybe I'll start there.  I also need to start on some good vitamins.  What spplements do you take?  Do you have any neuropathy at all?  I'd love to get rid of this!!!
I have CIDP a form of polyneuropathy.
I too have low B12 levels - in the 400's.  My doctor tells me anything under 600 is low.
I get B12 shots every 2 months but my levels don't improve and they haven't helped my condition.  
Poor B12 levels can cause neuropathy but aren't the only cause.
Do you see  a neurologist?
Angie9798,

Mine was @ "374" and the Quest Diagnostics notation on the test stated that patients with levels between 200 and 400 can potentially experience neurological and/or psychiatric symptoms. The actual lab range was "200 to 1100".

I too have been getting B12 injections and noticing no difference as yet after 4 months of them however, I was also found to be D and E vitamin deficient. The D has also been treated for 4-months but my E, just found deficient about two weeks ago has only been treated one-week (the E was my lowest deficiency).

You might want to ask for these two vitamins to also be tested and possibly your B6 level as well.
Hi again.I take folic acid, 5mgs daily, for a month , and then one month off. I improved my diet, with greens. watercress is full of Iron and a simple way to do it naturately.
I have a long term illness, IIH, but I am not sure if this caused the deficiency.
After four months with no relief from the B12 shots, I would stop them.Your dr really needs to do some more tests and find out what is causing your problem. The good news is,I have no more neuropathy! It took over a year to heal but it did.
I wouldnt recommend self dosing with supp;ements. Let the dr guide you with it.
I am from Ireland and we have different  readings  so I cant help you with the amounts.
I hope you feel better soon! Cath278.