Neurology Community
Does nerve root compression affect breathing

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A recent MRI of my cerivical spine inidcates C4-C5 there is mild narrowing of the central spinal canal given by osteophte complex. There is severe right-sided neuroforaminal strenosis given byt the uncarthrosis and factet joint OA with signs of compressioon of the right C5 nerve root. same at C6. At C6-C7 demonstrates mild central spinal canal narrowing given by the presence of a posteriori disco-osteophyte complex. There is moderate biofroaminal stenois which could result is not compression of the C7 nerve root.

My question. I have pain but  my main difficulty is breathing and can any of the above affect my breating and should I see a respirologist (saw one two years ago and he said I was fine) or a neurosurgeon.

ekk
You have to define what you mean by "affects breathing".

While anything is possible, including the fact Sharon Stone might suddenly decide to propose to me, it is unlikely the nerve compression secondary to your stenosis affects your breathing. The pathways are such that either you will stop breathing if they are interrupted, or you will breath normally.

That being said it is not inconcievable. Just highly unlikely.

Of course you need a professional work-up from a physician. There are MANY possible causes of difficulty in breathing, and several options. There is no reason to continue suffering.
I have difficulty breathing lying down and my entire right side and lung feels like it is not working. When I try to exercise I pass out. I have had evert test under the sun and the doctors say it is emotional. I do not believe this. Any suggestions?