Neurology Expert Forum
Double Vision in children

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Double Vision in children

Hi there, my 9 year old is having double vision - overlapping transparent images.  When he focus' on a single object he sees it single vision.  When he is not focusing on a specific item, it is double.  He also reports that when he covers 1 eye, he sees single vision.  The pediatric opthamologist coudln't find anything wrong with his eyes and no swelling immediately behind the eyes but, mentioned maybe he should see a neurologist.  Is it possible for an eye doctor not to detect something wrong with the eyes if it is a neurolgical problem?  Does this sound strange to you?  I do have an appointment scheduled but, I am wondering if I need to get a second opinion from an opthalmologist.

Thanks you,
Worried Mom
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Diplopia or double vision can be the result of several causes. The most common are a weak eye muscle, thyroid, autoimmune, or from the brain itself. Additionally, it is important to realize that there it is normal to have diplopia (called physiological diplopia). This occurs when a person fixates on an object in the foreground then becomes aware of an object farther away but in the direction of gaze. Both objects will then appear on the retina (part of the eye) and will be perceived as “double vision”.

It is good that your son was evaluated by an ophthalmologist. It is worthwhile to have your son be seen by a neurologist to ensure that there are no other findings on clinical examination or history that would be important.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.