Neurology Community
Dr. Sherma reply to Scalp Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Dr. Sherma reply to Scalp Pain

You don't know how much it means to me that you write back so quickly.  I feel like no one believes the pain I am in.  I am seeing a psychiatrist and therapist.  

One thing I wanted to mention was that my scalp pain goes in cycles.  For about 4 days it will hurt to the point of tears and then overnight it will turn to severe itching.  I was also diagnosed with Chronic Telogen Effluvium and have lost about 30% of my hair over the past 8 months.  The hair loss has lessened but I tend to lose more on the itchy days.  I was prescribed a 2% Ketoconazole shampoo but I have only been using Head and Shoulders because I am scared to use the Ketoconazole.  Is the 2% Ketoconazole safe?  Will it damage my hair?  

I also was still wondering about the hair dye that I mentioned in the previous post.  Do you think this could cause pain like this?  I just don't know what to do anymore.  It feels like something is eating my scalp right now and then I know it will turn to pain again.  Is it typical to have pain associated with seb derm?

I apologize for asking so many questions.  I have seen about 11 doctors since the scalp pain, hair loss and dermatitis came on and the doctors don't know how to find the cause of the pain.  They have done mainly blood work.  Do you think a biopsy is necessary?  Last time we talked about it, they didn't want to do it because of my severity of the scalp pain.  They also didn't think they would find anything.

I still think the doctors are missing something or not doing the right tests.  There must be a cause to the pain whether it was the hair dye, my hair getting pulled, diet, etc...  Like I said, I went to bed great and woke up with the severe scalp pain.  Is there any hope for me?  

I want to take an oral medication for the seb derm, but no doctor wants to prescribe it to me.  I read about Itroconazole working for seb derm.  Any suggestions on how to treat this?  

Also, with the scalp pain...  I had maybe 8 hairs ripped out at the salon about 8 days ago and it still hurts exactly where they were ripped out.  Will this pain go away or did she damage my scalp and follicles?  Will the hair grow back?

I appreciate your help and thank you again in advance for any advice you can offer me!