Neurology Community
Dr. nicked dura during spinal fusion, is it recoverable?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My husband had lumbar fusion done exactly one year ago to L4, L5, S1. The Dr. admitted to me very somberly post-op that he accidentally nicked the dura but said he would be ok, not to worry. For days he was sick, rana high fever and when he vomited, his back exploded with spinal fluid all over the place. The Dr. scheduled him for surgery again the next morning and said he would apply a surgical sealant and stitch him back up. He stayed in the hospital for eight more days with complications that the Dr. said was something like saddle numbness. To this date my husband does not have bladder or bowel control, no sexual function and cannot feel anything in his private regions. He is always wearing Depends. We went to see a urologist, test were taken and all looked normal but they said there was nothing they can do. We are about to visit a neurologist next week but I am leary as he is a friend of the operating Dr.  Is there hope at all for this condition where the dura has been nicked, is it possible for nerve root damage and if there is, how do you diagnose or repair that?
Hi...I am not a dr, but the condition I have chiari malformation a surgery to help with symptoms is called a decompression surgery where the dura is removed and replaced.

Since this is possible, I wonder if the chiari specialists would be better able to assist u and ur husband.

I also know with CSF leaks, a blood patch can repair the leak with out surgery.

I also know it is possible after such an extensive CSF leak chiari or a related condition can develope.MRI's can dx it for u ....are u sure it was just the dura that was nicked?

Find a dr that specializes in this and I pray they can help.

Godspeed
"selma"
The only way I am sure that just the dura was nicked is because the Dr. told me so. What ensued for days after the surgery was unexpected and that's when we knew he had lost all sensation and control. Dr. told us it would take a while to heal but he still has nothing back.
my husband had surgery for spinal stenosis this past monday and they nicked the dura. he to had numbness in his private regions, and he could not pass urine.  they had to cathaterize him every 4 hours. they put him on a drug to help him urinate, and of course sent him home as soon as he could pee on his own. now he is flat on his back with a  awful headache, and does not feel well. is this what your husband experienced. if so, what did they do for him. should we be more concerned. the hospital he was at is a 2 hour drive for us. there is one closer but not one we would want to deal with this problem. any suggestions from anyone.
i had a spinal fusion on my lower lumbar with hardware installed and me too the surgeon came into i.c.u. after the surgery and i was told the same thing.i spent 3 extra days in i.c.u. with a so called blood patch that was supposed to fix the nik or cut he did to the outer core of the chord.to this day and its been a year and a half i have experiencen more problems before the surgery,extreme pain, bowel function problems and out of nowhere massive migranes (migraines) and i mean massive head pain i call it cause its past the pain of a migrane (migraine).it comes on suddenly and i cant even explain the feeling,its almost like someone hitting me in the top of my head with a baseball bat everytime my heart beats.so i dont where to go from here.i never wanted to continue seeing a pain management doctor but it seems he is the only one concerned and has done wonders for me with medicine.as far as the surgeon i will not go see someone who has made my life more miserable after surgery that he told me would make me better.too many doctors stand up for there counterparts opinion .