Neurology Community
Drop foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Drop foot

My husband has had drop foot for 5 yrs and recently has had very bad pain from his knee to his foot so bad he's crying pain pills don't work he can't sleep thats when it really hurts him is at night. I've taken him to the ER but nothing takes the pain away.His drop foot was caused by nerves going dead not by any injuries to his back or anything. What takes the pain away enough to function thru out the day and so he can sleep at night please any thing is worth trying.
        Thanks PJFCC
Has your husband tried neurontin along with his pain medicine.Has the diagnosis Reflex Sympathetic Dystropy ever been brought up? You may want to read up on it on the internet and see if it sounds like it's possible and ask doctor what he thinks
I have heard that when the nerves are healing, that the pain coming back into the nerves is excruciating. I have also heard it can heal itself somewhat, even after a long time. I hope this could be the case, but of course you must try a neurologist for sure. He'll do an EMG, as its the only thing they can actually do. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET a very reputable one, not just old and experienced. My daughter has had 2, and the 1st was painful, but she got thru it. THe second was so bad, she was afraid the trauma alone made her condition worse. BUT her foot is paralyzed. IT was numb at first, but then after a few months the feelign came back in, but the movement gradually completely left.

THis makes me have hope for my daughter, who also has drop foot, and no reason they can find, since 1 year ago after a flu shot. We don't konw it was that, but no other trauma is known, except a bad back pain, and then the foot started flapping within a week. Her other leg is now being affected, and 5 neurologists and 1 surgeon can't find the problem!! SHe is getting weaker all the time, and all the tests can't show which if any motor neuron desease she might have. THEY ALL JUST GIVE UP. NO ONE SENDS HER TO MAYO CLINIC, or anywhere. This last one is saying if he can't find it, he'll send her there. They KEEP you there til they find the problem.
GOOD LUCK>>> I hope you'll keep us updated on what is causing this pain now.
Joan
I read your comment about drop foot and I was very intrigued. I have a foot problem I'm not sure what it's called,I can't walk flat on foot the arch side is pulled up and my foot curves inward. You can see the tendon on the front of my leg that curves with my foot. My main curiosity is that your daughter had this problem after a flu shot,my question is was the shot given in her buttocks? Or not. I've been doing research and feel that my foot is like this due to a doc trying to help my neuropathy . My foot started acting funny after the injections. I would like to talk more about this you can reach me at ***@****