Neurology Expert Forum
Drunk feeling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Drunk feeling

I am really not sure where to post this but i figured i tried here...
Just recently I have been feeling this "drunken" feeling, and it is hard for me to go down the stairs because i lose balance. I can't walk straight or it feels like I'm not walking straight and stumble. I'm always cutting corners and bumping myself against the wall or objects. When I close my eyes, its as if everything is spinning. I feel like im always squinting and i feel my eyelids very heavy as if im really sleepy. I don't know what to do and I really hate feeling this. I want to be able to just get checked on one thing and have it treated rather than go to many doctors to figure out what might be the problem :(
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Dizziness has many ways to describe. When some people use the term dizziness, they often mean vertigo, or room-spinning. Others mean a light-headed or whoozy feeling.

If by dizziness you mean predominantly vertigo (room-spinning), the causes could be either the inner ear or the brain. Inner ear causes of vertigo most commonly include benign positional vertigo (BPPV), which is due to small particle in the inner ear that moves out of place, and can be repositioned with simple head maneuvers. The symptoms often include vertigo that occurs with turning of the head, often while turning over in bed. Another cause, if your symptoms are associated with tinnitus (ear ringing) and hearing loss is called Meniere’s disease and can be treated with medications and sometimes surgery. And so on, several other causes from inner ear problems exist.

Vertigo can also be due to problems in the brain. The most common is a benign tumor called a schwanoma (also called acoustic neuroma). This is diagnosed by MRI of the brain. Multiple sclerosis can cause vertigo, but often, other symptoms are present as well. A normal MRI of the brain excludes multiple sclerosis. Thyroid problems can also lead to vertigo.

Do you have a headache with your dizziness? Migraine variants can cause features of dizziness/whooziness. Additionally, if by dizziness you mean light-headedness, causes could include low blood pressure such as due to dehydration or autonomic dysfunction, cardiac problems, and several other non-neurologic causes. Anemia can cause light-headedness as well.

I would suggest you be evaluated by your primary physician first to have basic lab work obtained (i.e., blood count and chemistry and thyroid panel) and obtain vitals (including orthostatic vitals). Treatment includes various medications and physical therapy. However, I would first start with your primary physician.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

I had this same thing happen to me about a month ago.  I woke up and couldn't get out of bed.  Each time I tried to get up, I'd fall back onto the bed.  At first I thought it was just because I was sleepy.  But once I got up, I was like you.  I felt drunk!  Not dizzy, but drunk!  I would lean to one side when I turned my head and would have to hold on to something or I would have fallen.  It lasted only 1 day though.

I was quite worried about this and thought that it might be a stroke.  So I had a doppler done and it came out OK.  

I hope you can find some answers to your ailment.  Since my symptoms only lasted a day, and I had a doppler done, I don't feel the need to check any further.  But since your symptoms are recurring, you MUST get some kind of help now!  You never know what it might be!

A related discussion, please help was started.