EEG Results
Seven years ago, I had an EEG done when I was hospitalized for depression. I was 17 at the time. At the time of discharge, the doctor recommended that I have an MRI done. Below are the results of the EEG test;

EEG DESCRIPTIONS: THE WAKING BKGD POSTERIOR DOMINANT RHYTHM WAS A SYMMETRICAL 9.5 HZ, 60-80 V ALPHA, THAT DEMONSTRATED GOOD REACTIVITY TO EYE OPENING AND CLOSING.  STAGE 2 SLEEP WAS MARKED BY THE APPEARANCE OF VERTEX SHARP WAVES, K-COMPLEXES AND SHIFTING, SYMMETRICAL SPINDLE ACTIVITY.  OCCASIONAL RIGHT CENTRAL SHARPLY FORMED SLOW WAVES ARE SEEN. PHOTIC STIMULATION WAS PERFOMRED AT FLASH FREQUENCIES RANGING FROM 1-25 HZ, EVOKING A SYMMETRICAL OCCIPITAL DRIVING RESPONSE AT 3-25HZ. HYPERVENTILATION WAS PERFORMED FOR 3 MINS WITH GOOD EFFORT, WITH ONE 2 S EPISODE OF ASYMMETRICAL LEFT HEMISPHERE HIGH VOLTAGE SLOWING.

EEG INTERPRETATION: ABNORMAL WAKING AND SLEEPING STUDY BECAUSE OF A SINGLE EPISODE OF ASYMMETRIC SLOWING DURING HYPERVENTILATION AND OCCASIONAL RIGHT CENTRAL SHARP WAVES. NO EPILEPTIFORM ACTIVITY SEEN.  NO TEMPORAL SLOWING SUGGESTIVE OF TEMPORAL LOBE DYSFUNCTION WAS SEEN.

CLINICAL INTERPRETATION: MINIMALLY ABNORMAL STUDY THAT SHOWS SOME ASYMMETRY WITH ACTIVIATION. CORRELATION WITH BRAIN MRI SHOULD BE CONSIDERED.

What do these results indicate? Is an MRI really necessary?