Neurology Expert Forum
EEG findings

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

EEG findings

EEG findings, what do they mean?

Patient's background consisted of a poorly-developed, poorly-regulated 8-10 HZ actvity seen maximally over the posterior head region reactive to eye opening and closing. Moderate amounts of intermittent theta and polymorphic delta activity were seen over both hemispheres with regional increase over left hemisphere. Occasional poorly rhythmic frontally predominant 1-3 HZ activity is seen. It is associated with increased amounts of beta activity, associated with drowsiness.

Abnormal due to:
1. Mild generalized slowing
2. Intermittent slowing over the left temporal head region

Findings consistent with a focal generalized disturbance of cerebral function and possible structural lesion should be evaluated.

I found this report in my file of medical copies. I don't know if my E doc has the copy of this EEG, I think she does. Anyway, because of my PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) she has written off my grand mals as psychogenic in nature. With this EEG and other abnormal ones, I'm beginning to think there's more to it than the grand mals being psychogenic in nature. I did go through a VEEG a year ago that produced nothing, however, most of the week she kept me on my meds and then 2 days before I got out she tapered them. To me, it doesn't seem like a whole lot of time to get a picture of brain waves without meds cuz I would think they would still be in my system. So, any takers, does it sound like I'm crazy to you. Psychogenics don't produce abnormal EEG's, do they?
Its difficult for me to comment on your specific EEG with that report as it is really necessary to see the EEG tracing before making an opinion. EEG reading can vary according to the EEG reader.

In general, background activity above 8Hz is considered normal whether it is easily visualized or not. Regional increased in slowing can represent a structural lesion if it is like that all th etime, or some form of dysfunction if intermittent (the EEG does not allow us to be more specific than that). Also a certain amount of regional slowing is considered within normal limits. Slowing of the EEG waves associated with drowsiness is often normal.

Slowing, whether focal or generalized does not allow one to diagnose epileptic seizures. The occurrence of epileptic spikes or seizures on the EEG recording does allow this diagnossi to be made
Hi Kar Bear,

An abnormal EEG doesn't mean you necessarily have seizures and a normal VEEG (no seizure) doesn't mean you don't.  I hear too often about drs. jumping the gun and saying psychogenic.  Psychogenic doesn't mean you are crazy, either.  It's very possible the testing can make you crazy, though!

Here is a forum for epilepsy that I highly recommend.  It isn't one where drs. answer questions, but it is a group of people with all types of seizures and some in limbo (being tested).

I have had abnormal EEG's (slowing) and 1 ab. VEEG (slowing,sharps and spikes), now I am having normal EEG's and had one normal VEEG (mostly on meds also).  I was diag by one epi as having temporal lobe epilepsy (complex partial seizures) and the one I see now at 1st thought not, but now is suspicious of them just not showing on the EEG's.  I was on meds for 3 yrs. and feel better. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to be discharged after my next visit which includes another EEG.

Here's the link to that forum:

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=991056579181b0bcc9de9e0210984953&f=133

You will have to copy and paste.

Good luck and hang in there!
Do not let them make you think that your seizures are NES especially if you have an abnormal EEG. I would seriously consider finding another doctor...quickly. As jan said. An abnormal doesn't always mean seizures but a normal one doesn't always mean no seizures.

IMPaHO.