Neurology Expert Forum
EEG side effects?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

EEG side effects?

Re: EEG side effects?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ccf neuro M.D.* on March 14, 1998 at 22:53:25:

In Reply to: EEG side effects? posted by Barbara Ellen on March 05, 1998 at 19:10:01:
  Hi....I had an EEG earlier today after the neurologist had told me that he thought that I was haing seizures.  I felt fine up until the test was finished.  Nothing about it bothered me and then during the last 3 minutes of the test he flashed some sort of strobe light with a clicking noise in my eye(while they were shut).  My eyes began to twitch back and forth and the light flashing in my eyes made me feel weird.  After the test I lost all of my energy and haven't regained it today.  Could there be a corrolation between these two, because I haven't had this feeling for about a month now.  Any info would be appreciated.....thank you!  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Barbara,

Sorry that we missed your question. The flashing strobe light is known as photic stimulation, and is one of the so-called "activation procedures" used in EEG to help stimulate seizure activity in those who are susceptable. Certain types of epilepsy will have seizures triggered by bright flashing lights, and the response we look for on the EEG is known as a photoconvulsive response. It is not unusual for the eyelids to twitch in synchrony with the flashes of light, as a sort of blink response similar to that you would have if a bright light were suddenly turned on in a previously dimly lit or dark room. EEG and photic stimulation have no known side effects, and there is no way in all honesty that I could rationally link your feelings to the EEG or the photic stimulation. Other activation maneuvers used in EEG testing include hyperventilation for 2-3 minutes, which can help trigger "petit mal" or absence seizures, sleep deprivation, and sleeping during the study. We certainly hope you feel better, and hope you find this information helpful. Please remember that information provided on the forum is intended for general medical informational purposes only, and that the actual diagnosis and treatment of your specific medical condition should be strictly in conjunction with your treating neurologist. Good Luck!!

A related discussion, eeg side effects was started.