EEG? what does it mean?
My daughter is 8 years old and has had seizures since she was 2. She has been diagnosed as having intractible epilepsy as well as developmental delay. She takes Zonegran, Depakote and Klonopin. She recieved the VNS 2 years ago. At the begining of this month she started the ketogenic diet and while she was in the hospital her neurologist did a 24 hour VEEG.

She didn't have any seizures that I saw. I just got the EEG report and I don't understand it.

Could some one decipher this for me? I would like to understand it before we go back to see her neurologist so that I can ask questions AFTER I digest the results. It is hard to do that the second you get them and you only have a limited amount of time with the doctor every 3 months. I like to be prepared.

Copy of the report----

This is a 16 channel EEG recording with additional channel for EKG monitoring.Bipolar montage utilized. Representative wakefulness, drowsiness, sleep were reviewed, as well as seizure and spike detection software events. Multiple seizure detection software events were associated with generalized high voltage slowing which is likely hypnagogic hypersynchrony. Spike detection software identified primarly movment myogenic artifact. During wakefulness, the patient has 8 cycle per second posterior dominant rhythm which is symetric and reactive to eye opening with low voltage beta activity in the frontal head regions bilaterlly. During sleep, there was mixed frequency delta and beta activity, all with vertex waves and sleep spindles in a normal configuration and distribution. Ocasional left frontocentral sharp waves were noted during sleep. No clinical accompaniment is noted.

IMPRESSION: This is a mildly abnormal study with left frontal sharp waves during sleep, as described above. Background otherwise normal for developmental age and there are no eletric clinical seizures recorded.

________________________________________________________________________________

Please help!