EMG / Nerve Conductivity test is Moderate
I'm a 43 yr old female, whose job is very computer oriented. I recently had an EMG test come back moderate and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I have pain that can be in my palm, wrist or now higher up my forearm. I have lost grip strength and have dropped heavy items. So far this is consistent with what I have read up on CTS. However, I have no numbness or tingling. (I do wear a brace at night and have never been awaken due to numbness). Finkelstein test is negative- no pain. Although I have loss ROM and can’t bend my wrist that far.

My pain level did decrease with therapy. Although, the work comp doctor is concerned about the muscle atrophy and nerve damage. He has recommended endoscopic carpal tunnel release.

My question is can I have CTS without having numbness and or tingling?

Thank you,
LK
Lady,

It sounds like you have peripheral nerve damage.  The EMG should have revealed this though.  Did they do a Nerve Conduction Test as well.  Probably not.  Well, you might ask for one or look into this further.  Look up peripheral neuropathy and see if you think it appllies to your case.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, they did do both the EMG and nerve conduction test. They only result I saw was a one line statement saying moderate damage to the median nerve. The hand specialist added that I had muscle atrophy. I'm getting a second opinion and will try to find out what the actual test result said.

I don't seem to fit any diagnosis. My symptoms are inconclusive. The nurse case manager mentioned De Quervain’s syndrome. I have as much in common with it as I do with CTS, including swelling at the base of the thumb and on the pinkie side of my wrist.

I’m fishing for answers and options other than surgery. Thank you,

-LK