Neurology Community
Eagle syndrome...elongated styloid process

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have just been diagnosed with elongated styloid process...in fact the ent doc told me it was the lngest he had seen in his many years of practice. I checked it on the internet and discovered that it is a really rare condition and is also called eagle syndrome. I have checked many commets and literature about it but discovered that I share only a few of these symptoms. My symptoms are as follows.....it all started about 3 months ago. i realised that on three different occasion i developed dysphagia and throat pain of short duration (3-5 days). i also felt a pain when i pressed on the submental region laterally. i went to my ent because i was afaid it could be something serious since i hardly fall sick. I hav never had any kind of neuropathic pain or prologed difficulty in breathing. I also only recently suffer from reflux oesophagitis because of my eating habits ( i eat a large meal before sleep). I want to kow is this also eagles disease? And is there any successful non surgical management? i was placed on ranitidine 150 mg bd. just started taking it today. please help with more information and answer to my questions.
thanks
thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Eagle's syndrome represents a group of symptoms that includes recurrent throat pain,  dysphagia, referred otalgia ( ear pain ) , and neck pain possibly caused by elongation of the styloid process or ossification of the stylohyoid or stylomandibular ligaments. If you are not sure whether your symptoms are due to Eagle’s disease , please go for  3 dimensional CT scan  which can measure the length of the styloid process . Primary treatment of  the condition is surgery . It is a bony elongation and cannot be corrected with medication . Please follow the ENT surgeon ‘s advice . Hope this helps you . take care and regards !