Effect of broken transverse processes?
About 15 years ago I was hit by an automobile while walking.  I ended up with a subdural hematoma which was successfully drained.  I recollect also being advised that I had several transverse processes which were broken off (or perhaps just fractured).  I had no specific treatment for this.  In subsequent years, I have been subject to fairly serious lower back pain on a number of occassions.  I understand that different muscles or ligaments attach to the processes.
If one or more processes were broken off, could this be a source of my back problems, and is it treatable.  I have had one medical person advise me that I should NOT do sit-ups and certain other abdominal exercises.  Does this make sense?
Thanks for your help.
Joe

How are you?
Yes it quite possible that the back pain that you have is due to fracture of transverse processes in the lumbar region.
Generally the treatment of fracture transverse processes is conservative. Patients are usually advised to wear a thoracolumbar corset and participate in aerobic walking program.
Please consult your orthopedic specialist about these options. Hope it helps!

Thank you for help.
Regards, Joe
Hi! I , too, have broken off 7 trans process'. They are nonunions and will never reattactch, as its been 6 yrs. I was ejected from my Jeep, wearing a seatbelt, thru a fiberglass roof.

I too, have severe mid-lower back pain where they broke off. Also, the ribs that attatched to those vertebrea are also nonunions (Ibroke all 12 ribs on rt side), 6 nonunion ribs to be exact. Im interested, did u also have broken ribs in that area? Im in pain management, taking handfuls of pills daily and drs want to do cryoblation, but I dont feel I have nerve pain, but bone pain....Whats ur thoughts?
Oh yeah, my hemotoma is still there, discoloration is gone, but a hand sized mass of tissue and a lil bit of pressure felt stabbing felt when touched even lightly. Drs dont even address this, as it stuns them....
I to had three cervical transverse processes broken off.  I was told at the time that these would never heal.  Additionally I had bi-lateral jumped facets (dislocated/broken neck) at c6-c7 that led to a spinal cord injury and nerve root lesions.  My brachial plexus was also damaged.  This has caused constant muscle spasms in the left side of the neck, shoulder, back.  Although I have an intrathecal baclofen/morphine pump I still have upper back spasms and isolated spasms in the neck that the pump doesn't offer total relief for.

Of course my ongoing PT (10 years) involves trying to touch my ear to shoulder.  This stretching generally causes more pain in the levator scapula high in the neck where the broken transverse processes are.

Are the broken transverse processes causing this increased pain in my neck, keeping in mind that these are not new exercises?  
Hi i have had 2 fractures of the ribs in the transvers process, on the left in ribs 2 and 3, after 2 years of not healing and having enough of the pain, i have seen a surgion in st vincents private, sydney who elected to do suregery on me never been done before, he remover the transvers process and did bone grafts, one year on and i have improved quite alot the rehabilitation process took a long time due to not knowing how the body would respond but after 6mths i am off pain relief completely and only very rairly have pain, but panadole or codein helps
25 years ago I broken 4 transverse processes as a result of wrecking my motorcycle. All on my right side.  At the same time I broke 6 ribs on the same side, punctured lung, etc. I've healed for the most part, but have developed scoliosis (curvature of the spine). This has resulted in a spinal fusion that I deeply regret.  I very recently figured out the cause. Some very important muscles run from the hip to the transverse process. Breaking the transverse process create an imbalance that in time can cause scoliosis. If you have the same condition and are developing scoliosis, I offer the following caution - DO NOT LET A SURGEON FUSE YOU before looking into Scroth method of exercising. I'm confident this is helping me. Its certainly helping my pain.
I broke left l1 and l2 tv completely off .  I have a piece in my vertebral foramen at l4-5, and a piece apparently stuck to the outside of my aortoiliac artery.  I've gone through 5 mri and 3D ct video disks and the missing pieces are not attached to the ligament.  I don't care about the piece in my gut..., but should I do something about the one in my eqina?
I broke all the lumbar transverse processes on the right side and most on the left side with a fracture dislocation of the l4 l5.  I feel great, fused 3 years ago.  Thanks a lot doc
I recently broke 4 of my lumbar processes.  Can you tell me where your pain was?  I have swelling extreme tenderness at fracture site but most intense pain in my pelvis above my left buttock like being electroctued. It travels to my hip down to my knee.  I think I have a seperate issue there but xrays of hip/pelvis showed nothing.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi I know this is an old post but I just had a recent injury with the same pain you described.  Can you tell me what your healing process was and how long it lasted? My email is ***@****

Thank you!
Hi biscotti73,

I broke L1 and L2 transverse processes and I have pain in left pelvis above my hip just like you described. Doctors say it is a radiated pain. But I am not sure. How did yours end? I would really apperciate your answer.
Thank you in advance