Neurology Community
Effervescence Pop Rocks Noise at base of skull

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Every day or so, I hear AND feel a sound that can only be described as if I've got a carbonated drink in the back of my head.  It can be heard from outside of my neck if someone uses a stethoscope as well.  It seems to be located at the absolute top of my spine, near where I belive the "blood / brain barrier" is, and the Medulla Oblongata.  It has been going on with no major issues for as long as I can remember, though recently it seems to happen more often. NOBODY can tell me what it is, I've only met one other person who has this experience and they've been unable to get any assistance either.  General MDs just are at a loss as to what it is, and don't seem to think its serious -- I'm fine with that answer, but I'm extremely curious if there's any explanation, and if so is there any thing really wrong?  

I'm on blood pressure medication (Benicar and HCTZ) and I've had two episodes of what I guess are Migraines.  I get a visual signal about 30 minutes prior to getting the most stomach turning "headache" though it doesn't really "ache", there's more of a sickening feeling as if my brain has been injured somehow and the thought of that makes me ill.  The only thing that's worked to solve those episodes is to shut myself in a cool, dark, quiet room and take Ibuprofen and sleep for several hours.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Rob

This discussion is related to Strange Sound in Neck.
Hi..I saw some other posts here asking the same ?....I believe the dr may have said it could be CSF moving......the fact u experience a sickening head ache, I would suggest u see a dr...and possibly get a brain MRI w/wo contrast just to be sure u don't have a blockage.

If I can locate the original post I will pass on the link.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
here is a link to one of the posts...to find others...go to the top right and type in ur phrase in the search box.....

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/13709

good luck
"selma"
Yes, that happens to me too! Althought not really on a daily basis.  Sometimes when I sit quietly, I'd just hear that fizzling sound at the back of my neck, or at the base of my skull... I really hope this is nothing serious... I've tried research for this weird thing that's happening to me, but unfortunately, only a handful have reported to have been experience this.  Please if you have any information, email me at ralamis(at)yahoo(dot)com

Thank you so much!!!
And RedRobinRed...if u use the MedHelp search top right of ur screen u can locate other disscussion here on Medhelp on the fizzy sounds.

"selma"
Ok I have this fizzy feeling. I also have the following...migraines,depression,hair loss,tingling/numbeness in all upper body,bone pain,weak muscles,fatique,dizziness, and joint pain. I know this is a huge list. I have been checked for thyroid and had alot of blood work that always comes back ok.. ANyone with ideas or suggestions please please email me at ***@****. My doc doesnt know whats going on so any ideas to bring along to the next visit would be great ,
I have this exact feeling/sound of poprocks and soda..
I get this on a daily basis almost probably every hour..
But it gets ALOT more intense if I get the blood flowing exercising or whatever..
It goes non stop every minute or so untill I calm down & cool off..
I think my body cant regulate its temp very well I overheat really easily,
and when this happens I go all "fizzy"..lol
I do have spine problems & need to go for surgery next month.
I think I may make another apt for this before the surgery tho..
Just incase.. =/
I've had this same fizzy noise and have felt it permanently along the base of my skull for 9 yrs, along with some other very unpleasant sensations in that area. I had a migraine like headache with aura, flashing lights for 7 months resulting in my having MRI scan that revealed some UBOs, but clear when repeated 2 yrs later. Can still feel and hear this all the time, also can hear it when I move my whole scalp around with my hands. It sounds like fluid.  Are symptoms of my having ME/fibro and in early stages of illness, the fizzy noise/feeling escalated into disabling, stabbing pain which permanently worsened with activity. I had to keep my head as still as possible for 3 months so that it improved somewhat, but have had to use a wheelchair for the past 6 yrs because what goes on in my head. My Osteopath who treats me with manual lymphatic drainage (an ME treatment), says that many people she treats for migraine complain of this noise of fluid along the base of the skull and back of head.  
omfg i have this too and i have headaches almost everyday on my left side of my head and no one believes me they laugh at me when i tell them ... im not able to sleep on my left ear bc when i wake up in the morning it hurts so much and my top of my spines feels like pop rocks and i can hear it too ....
I have no idea what it is but I have it too. Another poster said something about flashing lights, I see those too..and floaters but my eye doc said my eyes are fine..it is an EYE thing right? Maybe I should ask my doc (which I did already) and she reffered me to an eye doctor who said I was fine. The 'cracking' in my neck I only notice when it's very quiet but on a daily basis, when I turn my head in any direction.
I too have had this fizzy noise at the base of my skull for years.  Everyone just thinks I'm a weirdo when I try to explain it.  I have periods of vertigo and carry alot of tension in my shoulders, and neck.  My physio releases the pressure and usually the dizzieness and noise go.  I have had CT scans and MRI's. All clear. So happy to hear other people experience the same noise.
Nicky
I have a history of migraines over/behind right eye, which came on just over 2 yrs ago, as well as headaches all my life.  MRIa negative.  Migraines controlled w/ prophylactic (daily) meds and then I take meds for breakthrough migraines when needed.  But migraines have gotten worse lately, I think maybe due to stress??  I can pretty much count on several a month...and they wipe me out. I get tired and cloudy in my thinking.  And with the last one, my meds didn't help at all and I needed to go to the ER for a toradol injection.  It kind of frightens me that the migraines are this much out of control at this point.  Otherwise I am normally a pretty healthy person, except I'm not exercising as I was due to the colder weather.  

Just two weeks ago I noticed this crackling sound- seems to be coming from the vertebrae at the base of my skull and occurs pretty much with any movement, but seems most associated with the movement of the right side of my neck/head or with the use of those muscles.  It is somewhat uncomfortable and tense, and even ibuprofen doesn't seem to help.  I've been using a warm pack when I remember.  

I just finally googled the problem now, and found your forum.  I'm curious as to what the problem could be.  Haven't talked to an MD about it yet as I'm in the middle of insurance changes...and thought the problem would resolve itself. Now I'm beginning to wonder!  Will watch this forum...any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!  
This is amazing. The reason I am here is because I have this fizzing/squishing at the base of my skull where my neck connects and I happened to Google the symptoms and found this. I also have the stomach gurgle that follows immediately after the squish. Now I have a few theories - I'm noticing that many of you seem to also suffer stress and anxiety (as do I).  Stress tends to be linked to the Amygdala which is, you guessed it, at the base of the skull. Could there be some minor issue there that makes affects the Amygdala, or the Amygdala is the cause of the squish, hence why those of us with squishing also suffer anxiety?
I have this noise as well. I can also make the noise happen by massaging my scalp in a certain place. I also notice the sound when my stomach growls! WHAT IS THIS!!!
FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/new-information-about
I have this too! I have asked med profs about it and described it as a feeling of my spinal fluid being sucked through a straw like a milkshake is...lol...but I like the pop rocks explanation better! It is hard to describe and no one ever answers me, just look at me weird! I have fibromyalgia, heart probs, diabetes and asthma(or so they say...I think it is just a severe allergy prob) and have had a cervical fusion and migraines. When I get in a stressful situation such as last winter when I was nearly hit by another car, that same area tenses up badly and will throb so bad my head moves. It takes a few mins to recoup.
i have this too but in ok im healtly but when i get bad posture it start but with a crack crack in the neck it stop i dont think is something bad cuz i have this for a long time i belive that is bad posture

any way is good to know that im not the only one
if some one find the anwser plz tell em
Ok i was reserching about this and i find by i guy that also have this say that this is muscle stress ok you know that we have only one big muscle  that manage to pull the skull back so we can see up dont? ok now when you stay lay down or just relaxing this muscle try to take a new posture but  is so hard to this muscle cuz you have strees or other problem that make this noise every time that your muscle want to take a nother position

i think he is right cuz this only happens to me when i m lay down in my bed triying to relax me after a making homework for like 4 5 hour in the pc so im pretty estressed
well the only cure seen to be relaxing yoga and a more heatly life i guess

oh and think about this you know this sound is more to the part of the muscles than in the veins or other stuff in the middle of the neck ......or maybe im wrong i dont know wat do you think?
I have had this cracking, popping sound at the base of my skull, so irritating every time I turn my head to the left. It's been going on for a month and a half. What I noticed is that, in the morning it is not that bad, but towards the end of the day, it is getting worse. Nobody can hear it, but I can feel it. Help. Thank you!
I have had these crackling, fizzing, grinding noises in the back of my neck on and off for some time now.  It first strated right after knee surgery.  It comes andgoes for no reason.  Although I fell and hit my head recently and have 2 bulging discs with a pinched nerve C6-7. My stomach is rumbling and gurgling all night long also. I think it is some allergic response.  I often take benadryl and zantac and it helps.  Simethicone (gas relief pills) often help also,  
i have this too..its a strange pop rock sound that travels up my spine and goes into the base of my skull. Most often is triggered by hunger pains (this is when its most active) Thinking back (maybe 14 years ago) I first noticed it when I was going to take a sleeping pill and noticed the pop rock sensation on my tongue and immediately spit it out...I'm clue-less and need answers aswell cause its starting to take over my whole life!!
Snap! Searing headaches on the left side of my head, mainly behind my ear and running all the way down to my neck. I have these on a daily basis, and they don't get much better with aspirin or other pain relief pills. The common theme here is the "popping" noise I hear in my neck every time I move my head. I am otherwise healthy, athletic even. The pain has got so bad that I am going to the doctor in the coming days. But if anyone has a clue what this might be, I'd be most grateful for information, thoughts and theories. Thanks in advance.
I had 3 months of intense dizziness, following two evening spells of vertigo in february. Over time I felt very strange sensations in the base of my skull, that would really show up when I laid on an armrest on a couch or whatever. Now it's converted more to dull pain that shoots up behind eyes, and I get these very short pshhew noises when I lie down.  Sometimes my head feels like a drum, as walking around just makes a lot of thumping behind my ears.
Had an MRI which has come back negative for anything with/without contrast.  I don't get any headache spells when I do any yawns or coughs - it's just base of skull pain that seems to always be there
LOL........guess I am not the only crazy who googled crackling sound at base of neck.  I have it as well........but no headaches like many of you....or other health problems that I am aware of, other that arthritis coming on from an active life.....now 56.  Wanted to add that I also have ringing and some sensitivity to certain sounds which I have noticed along with the "pop rocks sound" (excelent description by the way) in my neck.  Guess we are all just basically getting old??
i have this too! had it for years. i'm 22 so it's not an old age thing. it gets very loud when i take a bath and my head is partially underwater. also it only ever happens when my neck is relaxed, when i'm lying down. i almost never have headaches or anything, so i think that's unrelated.
I have this fizzling sound in the back of my neck too. I'm a 22 year old female, since it started I have also been getting random pains around my head but nothing too sore. I am not sure if they are related. I had a CT scan done on my brain about 2 years ago for an unrelated problem (tinnitus) and got the all-clear. What could this be? I only hear it every so often and find it extremely uncomfortable and very worrying/scary. Has any one found a possible cause?
Wow, I thought I was crazy because no one else I know has had these sounds and I didn't know how to describe it, I think pop rocks in soda is a good description.  I asked my general md n she said she had no clue, but didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I do get migraines often, several times a month. I don't get halos or nausea, just horrible pain behind my eyes and through to back of head. If anyone has info on this crazy noise, please email me at cdidier9 at hotmail. I am worried and don't know what type of doc to go to. Thanks!
The sound is your neck vertebrae grinding against each other. There is likely heavy compression of the discs that seperate the vertebrae and the nerves that are normally protected by these vertebrae. You would be right to assume the neck symptoms are related to your migraines and strange perceptions. Your doctors seem to be very narrow minded in their treatment and fail to take into account the infinitely interconnected complex workings of the body.
Simply seeing flashes does not mean there is a problem with your eyes, you see?

You need to see a chiropractor.
Not a waste of $$$MRI.
Your brain is working fine, the signals are just getting static from the chronic compression of the nerves.  I have recovered from similiar symptoms that you fellows have described.

For some google research material, try googling Atlas Adjustment Lowers Blood Pressure.
Atlas is the top most vertebrae, high blood pressure is very common for those with excess tension of the atlas (c1).
It doesn't hurt either, it feels great. Please try it.
Not some $medication regimen$ that is dangerous to your health and independence.

God bless!
I also have the sensation where it feels like bubbles rushing up the back of my neck like in a soda where the bubbles travel to the top of the glass. I can hear it also! I called my mother to ask and her friend said that it was allergies . My allergies aren't bad at all so I doubt that's what it is. I'm kind of nervous ill end up having a seizure (sorry if I misspelled) because my mother use to have seizures all the time where she would randomly fall asleep for a long long time or her face would go straight and she would continue whatever motion she was doing before the seizure. I'm not sure if its because I use to pop my neck all the time when I was younger , but that's all I know about it. Hopefully some one with some insight can help us on this situation .
I've had the pop rocks sound in my head since I was 18 and am 45 now.  I've chocked it up to allergies of some sort since my ear canals always seemed to have some inflammation that are relieved by sneezing.  I get it randomly but most noticeable, like all here, when I lay down and when I am getting up in the morning.  
My other theory is that is linked in some way to cerebrospinal fluid moving and could be some type of Chiari malformation and/or blockage of the spinal connection at the base of the skull.  I do not get frequent, severe headaches or tingling in the extremities associated with Chiari, though.  I do have numbness that comes and goes in my right ear canal.  I've had it so long and have endured it for so long that it is something I tolerate although it can be uncomfortable.
Thanks for the link, but it's not in our THROATS; it's in the backs of our necks, feeling as if it's either within the spinal column or in the flesh between the spine and the outer skin. (I've had this too for years. Every explanation I've seen everywhere on the Internet is unsatisfactory.)
I have what i call crackling...'running water slowly over a tray of ice' sound in my head. Is this what  you guys are describing? This mostly occurs in the frontal to top part of my head when i turn over (side to side) in bed. I have told different doctors (no gave no logicical answer for this) and have always wondered what this is!! I also have suffered from chronic vertigo for several years.