Neurology Expert Forum
Elavil Withdrawal
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Elavil Withdrawal

I am a 56 year old woman whose severe  chronic insomnia has been treated with Elavil for 22 years.  The starting dose was 5 mg and has beengradually increased over the years to 50 mg.  I have been evaluated in asleep lab and prescribed other medications; but because of a problem with metabolizing drugs, Elavil became the drug of choice to treat my problem.

I have attempted to stop the Elavil, but experience unbearable symptoms which cause me to return to the drug -- severe rebound insomnia, flu-like symptoms, body pains, trembling.  Even with these uncomfortable symptoms, I feel completely lucid, happy and enthusiastic about life in general -- until the symptoms get so bad I must return to taking Elavil. I feel groggy most of the time while on the drug, inarticulate and slow witted, all of which affect my work performance and general quality of life.

I need to stop taking this drug, but how should I go about it.  Is there a health facility where I can be checked in while going through withdrawal. ( I live near New York City)  It's very difficult going through this alone.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.