Neurology Expert Forum
Electric Shock Down My Arms?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Electric Shock Down My Arms?

For about 6 months now I have been getting a feeling of an electric shock running down my arms when I sneeze or jolt my neck laughing.  When I flex my neck slowly it does not happen.  I had an cervical spine MRI by a spine surgeon and he said it looked normal and is sending me to a Neurologist.  From reading it seems this could be a sign of MS  But wouldn't the Spine Surgeon have seen something on the MRI to warrent this or does the MRI have to be done with contrast to see any "leisions".  Since this feeling does not go anywhere but my arms, what else could it be? I can't say I have any other "symptom" going on with me except that when I am laying in bed to go to sleep, I get the bed spins really bad, they are quick and breif, sometimes wake me up and then go away?  Should I even mention that to the Neurologist, it seems kind of silly.  Please advise!!!
Although it's not the typical description of Lhermitte's phenomenon which is an electric shock like sensation down the spine with flexion of the neck due to cervical spine disease, it could possibly represent a problem in the area or slightly higher up. Usually, if MS is a concern we do get MRIs with contrast which helps to show active disease.  However,in many cases we can still see a lesion in the cervical cord without contrast and I hope that if there was one, your docs would have picked it up as you say. Tell the neurologist about all of your symptoms - what may be silly to you may be a clue as to what's going on. Depending on what they find on the exam, you may need further imaging with an MRI of the brain w/ contrast. GOod luck.
An MRI will not show MS, but an MRI of the brain will and you may also need an MRA which is like an MRI, but is of the vertrebral arteries. It could be MS and could be an artery in the brain being pinched. I am not a doctor, but I do know that you need to a Neurologist and he may request more films. Also be sure to take in all of your medications, herbal vitamins, etc. when you see the Neuro as these may also be your problem!
Good Luck!
A related discussion, shocking pain down both arms was started.