Electric shock in hand -nerve damage?
While I was in the hospital, the nurse tried to create an IV injection site in my wrist about two inches down from my hand.  While she tried to insert the needle into the vein, it created a great deal of pain.  Finally she gave up and used the back of my hand instead.

This was about a month ago, and every time I hit that spot on the wrist, I get an electrical shock similar to  "funny bone"? throughout the back of my hand.

If this is nerve damage, should I see a doctor about this, or will this heal in time?
Hi there,

It sounds as if your carpal tunnel is maybe a bit inflamed (being poked by an unfamiliar object).

That type of an electrical shock is usually caused due to the carpal tunnel tighening and pressing on a nerve.  The carpal tunnel is like a rubber band around the wrist.  Inflammation can also cause it to tighten and cause pressure.

Treat the inflammation (something such as Fastum gel etc.) and you should experience relief.

Good luck!

- Ingrid

Thanks for writing in.
Yes there is a possibility of nerve damage due to poking for needle insertion in the vein. Most likely it will heal with passage of time. I would suggest you to take OTC B complex supplements to accelerate healing.

Take care!