Neurology Expert Forum
Empty Sella Syndrome

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Empty Sella Syndrome
Two years ago, I had surgery to revise a VPshunt (orginialshunt placement in 1987)and two weeks later fenestration of a ventricular cyst via neuroendoscopy.  A few weeks later, I ended up with a cerebral abcess and subseqent removal of shunt and 8 wks of Vancomycin IV.   MRI following treatment showed empty sella syndrome and microcystic fibromylasia where shunt had been. The neurosurgeon said that the empty sella was nothing to be concerned about.

Since the surgery, I have had basically no libido, tired all the time, joints ache, difficulty concentrating, poor memory, and now headaches again.  Another MRI was done by family Dr. to see if cyst had returned.  The MRI showed the same as last.  Seen by a neurologist.  No one concerned about empty sella.  Perhaps it is because I am middle age, overweight, and have hypertension? (yes, I have read about it!) However, I did not have the empty sella syndrome before the surgery and infection, nor did I have these symptoms.  Should I be concerned?  

PS> I am usually a very active professional who enjoys hiking, camping, and traveling in my spare time.  I now find everything very challenging and have no spare time, because it takes me so long to get things done!
Sorry to hear about the complicated post op course. The empty sella syndrome is a result of a problem in the tissue covering the top of the space where the pituitary gland sits (in the sella). This causes pressure on the space from overlying tissue and CSF which causes the space to enlarge, sometimes flattening the pituitary. Most of the time, it doesn't cause any hormonal imbalance, but if large enough it can cause visual changes.

Although empty sella syndrome (usually clinically silent and not a significant medical problem) doesn't explain all of your symptoms, if you are having problems with periods (I apologize if you are a man, assumed you were a woman from "KY gal"), breast discharge, impotence if you are a man, etc... talk to your doctor about getting some basic hormone labs drawn. Otherwise, consider some routine labs to check  for anemia, thyroid disease, and basic chemistry tests for electrolyte abnormalities which can all be a cause for your symptoms.Good luck
I forgot to mention that my hair is falling out, to the point that my scalp is very visable.  If I could just get the hair that is growing on my chin to grow on my head! (A sense of humor is what keeps me going!)
A related discussion, Connections? was started.
I am a 33 yr old female and was diagnosed with ess. I have had a complete hysterectomy and have been experiencing memory loss and find it hard to concentrate. And advice on what to do from her. Mhenline