Enbrel and MS
Doctor,

Can you tell me what the contraindications are for Enbrel with regard to MS.  My neuro says to start taking it for my RA but I am being tested for MS now.  Thanks much.

Susan
Hello.

Ther is no particular caution or contraindication as far as MS testing is considered. Enbrel causes immunosuppression. However, it should not interfere with the tests for MS.

Most of the tests for MS are CSF based.

Regards
Thanks so much for the prompt response.  I apologize for not being more clear, what I meant to ask is if I am dx with MS can I continue to take the Enbrel.   The precautions say pt's with MS should not take it but I want to know why and what the risks would be.  Thanks again.

Susan
Hi.

Etanercept (Enbrel) is an ant-cytokine. There are no clearly explained mechanisms, but many reports have been published regarding this issue.

Enbrel and some other drugs of the same class have been found to increase, or bring on demyelination. If you have already been diagnosed and are sure of the diagnosis, you should consult the doctor and ask for an alternative drug.

All the best.
Thank you very much!

Susan
Doctor, I would like information related to Enbrel and MS.  I used Enbrel for less than one year. I now have demylination of the cervical spinal cord, both optic nerves, plaques in my brain, numbness in leg and balance problems. I am now fifty eight. Symtoms started at age fifty six with numbness in leg and balance problems. I have been told it looks "MSish." Questions:  now that  the new symptom of, the optic nerves being demlinated, is it MS? Should I have been perscribed Enbrel by my Dermatologist for psorisis without asking for family history? Is history even a factor? Thank you very much. Tuscan