Neurology Community
Enlarged Red Blood Cells, Chronically tired

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have been told twice now that I have enlarged red blood cells. The time frame between the blood tests had been approximately 1 year. I went to see my doctor because I am constantly tired and sick feeling all of the time. My doctor did  blood work that showed I am not anemic, thyroid is fine, vitamins are fine and proteins are all fine also. I need answers. I am almost 45 years old and am not ready to stay home sleeping all of the time. PLEASE help me ask the right questions to my doctor?
Tags: enlarged, red blood, cells
hi you sound like my two year old daughter they ran all the tests they could and nothing they even tested her chromosomes with no luck. im still trying to find out what it is. we have been to alot of blood specialists but still nothing.
if you ever get an answer could you let me know? so i can suggest it to my doctors.
thankyou.
Hi Dawn I wondered if you ever got an answer. I could have written the same post you did, 45 , two blood tests/timing, same result, same fatigue which seems crazy given generally very healthy and health conscious living. I hope you get this message. Best, Rosie
Hi Dawn,
I was tested recently and told my red blood cells were unusually large.  All the other blood work was fine.  I am being tested again, non-fasting.  Dr. says it could be vitamin B12 deficiency or Folate deficiency.  You should ask your Dr. if you could be deficient in those vitamins also. Vitamin B12 deficiency could cause fatigue.  Good luck.
sweetpea91
Hi I am 33 and have fatigue and nausea feeling constantly. I have had blood test and everything was fine except my red blood cells are enlarged. I was wondering if you ever got any answers or information? I am also so tired of feeling like this.
Hi dawn
I too have enlarged red blood cells and my doctor (and other doctors) have always asked me how much i drink. In fact i dont drink at all. I am always tired and feel sick after eating, have a sore mouth and itchy skin. I am in the process of having a coeliac disease test done (allergy to gluten) as my grandmother has this. I am hoping that this will provide the answers as i feel unwell most of the time. Hope this helps you and good luck with finding an answer for you
Tracy
have you ever been tested for primary biliary cirrohsis.i have it and my red blood cells are inlarged.hope you get an answer soon.good luck
I have gastroparesis for the past 8 years, but for the past year my doctor has been watching my blood test. 6 months ago she sent me to and oncologist because she could not figure the blood test out. it is showing i have enlarged red blood cells and that my body is not absorbing enought nutrients. I go back to both doctors the first of September if my blood test are still the same he will then go on to run more advsite test....
I too have been diagnosed with enlarged red blood cells.  I too am very fatigued and sleepy.  The doctors are trying to find the cause.  I'm not an alcoholic, and my bloodwork does not indicate any liver, Folate, B12 or other problems.  I've been off work for several years now and I am finding it hard just to do normal everyday things.  I'm tired and feel sick all the time.  I am a 42 year old woman.  If you get any information please let me know.  Good luck too you, I know how you feel.  
Has anyone gotten answers? I too suffer from extreme fatigue and intense pain in my neck and face. Enlarged red blood cells have shown up on my blood work. I don't drink alcohol and I am loosing my mind not being able to even hold onto a job. Any answers anyone?
I struggle with Pernicious anemia.  Need weekly B12 shots to feel any sense of wellness.
This week I am late on getting one so I have insomnia  awake til 3am. and then the need to sleep 3-4 hours late afternoon. Another symptom is deep sighing.
Does anyone know a doc in Albuquerque, NM that is well versed on Pernicious Anemia?
It is an auto immune disorder and my doc just says "you will need shots for the rest of your life".