Enlarged lateral ventricles
I am 56 yrs. old and had a fall, four days ago, in which I hit my head on a concrete curb.  According to the ER doctor, the CT scan was negative, although he said it showed enlarged lateral ventricles.  I"ve been having severe headaches, for 5 weeks, and severe nausea for 7 weeks.  Could the headaches and/or nausea be caused by the enlarged lateral ventricles?  Just how serious is this condition?  

Hope you are feeling better.
The symptoms of headache and nausea could be due to concussion following head injury.
Enlarged lateral ventricle could be a congenital condition, or due to infection, or a tumor.
This requires further evaluation; please consult your neurologist about it. Enlarged ventricle also indicates hydrocephalus. It is important to make sure if your symptoms are due to concussion or due to obstructive hydrocephalus.
Thank you for getting back to me.  What is hydrocephalus and obstructive hydrocephalus?

Hydrocephalus is a term which literally means water in the brain. In medical terms it implies abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the brain. Hydrocephalus is usually due to blockage of outflow of CSF from the ventricles leading to enlargement of the ventricles.
There are many causes of hydrocephalus like infections, congenital anomalies, brain trauma, tumors and hemorrhage.
The treatment of hydrocephalus is by placing a shunt that drains out excess fluid from the brain in to some other cavity in the body.
Hope this answers your question!
I went to see a neurologist and he ordered an MRI and blood work.  Everything came back normal, but my headache and nausea seem to be getting worse.  About a month ago, my doctor felt a mass, in my abdominal area, so she ordered an ultrasound.  The ultrasound revealed polyps in the gall bladder.  A surgeon told me that sometimes, what appears to be polyps, actually turns out to be gall stones, and gall stones can cause nausea.  My question is can the headaches be caused by the polyps and/or stones?  Do you have any other suggestions as to what can be causing this severe headache and nausea?

Thanks.
I forgot to ask another question.  The CT scan, done on 10/20/08, revealed enlarged lateral ventricles, yet the MRI, done on 10/29/08, didn't reveal that. Is this normal?  Is it possible that the lateral ventricles went back to their normal size after I had the CT scan?

Thanks.