Neurology Community
Entire body slowly going numb

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Entire body slowly going numb

Hey everybody,

To start off: I'm a 26-year-old male in fairly good overall health. Over the past few years, I've only had a few problems worth noting and what I saw at the time as completely unrelated to each other. I've had a patch of numbness on the right side of my abdomen for about 2 1/2 years now; it was just a small bit at first, but it started to grow to about four times its original size (about covering the whole right side) and then just stopped. About a month later I started getting tightness in my abdomen and chest that usually occurred the daytime when I was sitting down at my desk. It wasn't really painful as it was annoying, like a dull, tingly ache that made it very uncomfortable to sit up forward in my chair for any period of time. I found that it wasn't as bad if I sat all the way back and straightened my back, but it was still very annoying in any case. And it seemed that whenever I would get up onto my feet after lying flat on my back for a bit, after watching TV or reading a book, I would experience the most severe stabbing pain (and I consider myself to have a high tolerance for pain) that would run down my lower back and through my left leg that would leave me totally unable to put any pressure on it at all - the kind of pain that would cause my eyes to well up with tears. It only happened every once and a while, but would leave me immobile for about 10 minutes. It got better after a while, but still very painful and I'd have to limp on my right leg. Now all of this stuff didn't really both me as it wasn't chronic, everything but the numbness at least.

I went to go to my primary care physician in April of this year for a check up. He diagnosed me with depression and anxiety (which I pretty much knew already) and he gave me a prescription for Lexapro. A few weeks after that I noticed that my toes went numb, and the next day my pinky did, then my other fingers, then my hands the next day. I noticed that parts of my body had numb patches on them and over the span of a day or two they all seemed to grow until my entire body had gone numb. Well, maybe numb isn't the right word. I could still feel touch, pressure, heat and cold, but the touch and pain sensation was greatly reduced. It felt like touching your skin through a thin sheet of cloth and it never went away - there when I woke up and when I went to bed.

My GP ran a lot of blood tests to rule out thyroid, b12 deficiency, diabetes and all that common stuff, but everything came back negative. He referred me to a neurologist, who I had to wait about 3 months to see. And over that time, the numbness seemed to get a little worse each day. It was about 2 weeks before my appointment when I suddenly had problems walking. I mean, I could walk just fine, but it was like the muscles that contract when you walk - the ones that hold you up your body weight when you're shifting legs - were very weak and would occasionally buckle. The other muscles in my leg would catch me, but it left me with a wobbly gait, like my knees were jello. My calf muscles would also want to contract backwards when I was trying move forwards and it felt like my whole of my legs would tense up, even though some didn't contract at all. This would happen every other day for a few hours and would stop on its own. The only thing I noticed that would persist were these tiny little spasms in the muscles of my calves and leg - and occasionally in my arms, neck and face - that would go on all day.

My neurologist did a physical exam, a brain MRI (without contrast), and conducted an EMG. Everything came back normal. He did a sleep study for my severe daytime tiredness, which was inconclusive but would eventually led to a possible diagnosis of narcolepsy until I get another study done. After a followup, he concluded that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me neurologically and since then I've been kind of stuck thinking that I'm a hypochondriac or something, all the while my body just keeps going number and number everyday.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on or could point me in the right direction?