Neurology Community
Epidural Lipomatosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Epidural Lipomatosis

I went to my MRI follow up today and was told that I might have Epidural Lipomatosis. I am being sent for another "more powerful" MRI that I guess eliminates fat form the pictures. Also I am being sent to a specialist to look for Cushing's Disease. My neuro also mentioned that I have slight spianl stenosis of Lumbar Spine. Would this explain any twitching and spasms I have been having? I have already had normal EMG, SSEP, and NVC. Doc did a lot of blood work to include CBC, CPK, Vitaman, Iron, HIV, Syphalis, potasium, calcium, etc. The only medicine I take is for Micardis for Highg Blood Pressure. Any insight would be GREAT
back to the top of the list
back to top of page
Any thoughts?
Hello.

Yes, the twitches can be explained by the compression of the spinal cord, shown as stenosis of the spinal canal on MRI. We have to wait for the further MRI report and investigations into Cushing's disease.

Regards
I should have been more clear in my first description. There is Stenosis of the lumbar spine, but I also have a "covering" around my t-spine. Because I have this covering my neuro is sending me to get evaluted for Cushing's. He thinks it is a layer of fat and did not suggest it to be anything else until I have another MRI that should eliminate fat from the pic. Besides fat what else would cover the t-spine? Does this sound like Cushing's? Previous MRI's of c-spine and brain were clear. Would a neuro be looking for a pituitary tumor after a brain MRI as standard practice or just look for neurological defects? My understanding is that a pituitary tumor is a common cause of Cushing's is why I ask. Thank you in advance!
bumping to top
.
Hello.

Cushing's disease does lead to epidural lipomatosis. I am not sure if any brain lesion is suspected by your doctors. Do you have any symptoms like headache, nausea, etc?

The neurologist will look at all possible causes for your symptoms when he looks at the MRI. But here, he will specifically look for the tumor. The tumor may not be producing pressure effects. The possibility can not be denied at this stage.

Regards
how do I post to a Doctor?
Hello.

This is a patient to patient forum. You can post on the Expert forum for a specialist's opinion if you wish. You can enter the expert forum from the home page.

Regards