Neurology Community
Epidural Nerve Damage??

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Epidural Nerve Damage??

Can steroid injection at L3/L4 or L5/S1 result in subsequent subsequent severe pain at S-I joint, quad muscle, leg calf and loss of sensation in toes and front 1/3 of foot?
One of the two injections caused sensation of 'electrocution' from spine down right leg and foot; attributed to needle passing thru ligament and 'tightness'. First injections Jul 11; second L5/S1 injection on Nov 1 and altho severity and frequency of pain has decreased occasional 7-8 level occurs while tingling and loss of foot sensation is fairly constant.
Avatar n tn
Hi Embillma,
How are you feeling now?
Yes, it does cause pain along the distribution of Sciatic nerve. What you are describing is classical of pain associated with injury to sciatic nerve.
It will take 3-6 months for nerve to heal.
Meanwhile, you can take help of Physiotherapist for your muscles to avoid any disuse atrophy.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for the clear explanation.
Avatar n tn
Realize I failed to answer your question, so apologies, and here goes:
Intensity and frequency of pain has been decreasing with the passage of time and is now limited to 3 - 4 times daily depending on how long I am on my feet.
Also had a visit with neurosurgeon (a referral from the Pain Mgmt Dr) who confirmed your information. (Was sked for 2 Jan appt but luckily was bumped-up due to a cancellation).
Thanks again.