NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Epidural injection and erectile dysfunction
by notknowingitall, Feb 10, 2009
Exactly 4 weeks ago I had an epidural shot at the L4-L5 level, left side, the neurologist who did the shot gave me two shots: one at the spine L4-L5 level (or so he said) and another one in the muscle at the S1 level (left side upper buttocks). The reason for the shots was pain from a large herniated disc, paracentral to the left side that was pressing the L5 descending left nerve and also indenting the thecal sac. Immediately after the shot, I lost my erections. The penis and scrotum felt numb. I just could not get any erection or blood flow into the penis. One week later, I got a micro discectomey surgery; my pains in my left leg are gone. Since surgery (3 weeks ago) I have gotton few erections (in three or four nights but very briefly during my sleep) and I started to regain and feel blood flow into the penis and sometimes mild erections while awake. But I am still having problems getting erections as before.
What could the problem be?